Volunteer Outdoor Track Classic 2011
01/05/2011 3:47:41 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
:-] So I talked to the meet director for an hour or so this morning....... and I think this year will continue to improve on past years. I need to talk to him again and see when we can release some of the new items for the meet. B-)
So I talked to the meet director for an hour or so this morning....... and I think this year will continue to improve on past years. I need to talk to him again and see when we can release some of the new items for the meet.
01/24/2011 5:07:55 PM
User
Will High Schools compete on Fri & Sat? If Fri, what time does competition usually start- Trying to make travel plans...
Will High Schools compete on Fri & Sat? If Fri, what time does competition usually start- Trying to make travel plans...
01/24/2011 5:59:19 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@Sctfan here is a link to the meet page and they have a schedule posted there [url=http://www.ktcyouthathletics.org/voloutdoortrackclassic.html](Click here for link)[/url]
@Sctfan

here is a link to the meet page and they have a schedule posted there (Click here for link)
01/25/2011 10:40:32 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
:-O For those of you that have not noticed the schedule. Check out the events on Friday at 12:30 and 3:00 B-)

For those of you that have not noticed the schedule. Check out the events on Friday at 12:30 and 3:00
02/20/2011 11:57:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Can my daughter run in this meet unattached since her school is not attending and she will be on Spring Break at the time of the meet?
Can my daughter run in this meet unattached since her school is not attending and she will be on Spring Break at the time of the meet?
02/21/2011 9:01:46 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@kvsmith95 Check with you school coach. I think if she is on a school team, it will count as a meet for the school. I would just run it by the team coach.
@kvsmith95
Check with you school coach. I think if she is on a school team, it will count as a meet for the school. I would just run it by the team coach.
02/21/2011 6:49:48 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
By the time this meet takes place, athletes will have had, I am assuming, numerous school meets. As such, they will have had their names submitted to the TSSAA as part of the school roster. Once you are on the school roster, any meet you are in counts against your school's maximum number of meets. So, I agree with the previous comment that even if she goes as an unattached athlete, she is technically a school representative and will, therefore, count against the number of meets (8 max) in which they can participate.
By the time this meet takes place, athletes will have had, I am assuming, numerous school meets. As such, they will have had their names submitted to the TSSAA as part of the school roster. Once you are on the school roster, any meet you are in counts against your school's maximum number of meets. So, I agree with the previous comment that even if she goes as an unattached athlete, she is technically a school representative and will, therefore, count against the number of meets (8 max) in which they can participate.
02/21/2011 10:19:57 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=wadesl]...count against the number of meets (8 max) in which they can participate.[/quote] @wadesl might want to check out the rule book before you post... it's 11 meets not 8, and that does not include sectionals or state. page 31... http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/handbook.pdf technically if the athlete is a tennessee athlete they would have to participate for their school team not unattached.
wadesl wrote:
...count against the number of meets (8 max) in which they can participate.

@wadesl

might want to check out the rule book before you post... it's 11 meets not 8, and that does not include sectionals or state. page 31...
http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/handbook.pdf

technically if the athlete is a tennessee athlete they would have to participate for their school team not unattached.
02/22/2011 8:52:57 AM
Coach
This is an ongoing problem, thanks to Coach Wade for bringing it up. If an athlete competes in a sport not offered by TSSAA (Indoor Track) is that a rules violation. e.g. exceeds the #meets for the team? Given the athlete competes as an individual? For athletes who have the ability to compete at a higher level, TN Invite, Penn Relays,how can they compete in those select invitatonal meets if the school does not schedule those meets?
This is an ongoing problem, thanks to Coach Wade for bringing it up.

If an athlete competes in a sport not offered by TSSAA (Indoor Track) is that a rules violation. e.g. exceeds the #meets for the team?

Given the athlete competes as an individual?

For athletes who have the ability to compete at a higher level, TN Invite, Penn Relays,how can they compete in those select invitatonal meets if the school does not schedule those meets?
02/22/2011 9:54:26 AM
Coach
@SteelHC It is not a problem to compete indoors for Tennessee athletes. However, they must compete for a club or unattached. Since they do not represent a school indoors they cannot compete in any indoor meets that are NFHS sanctioned (Virginia tech for example). That limits the options for indoor meets for Tennessee athletes. The other thing in regards to indoor competition is that the school must not submit the athlete on their TSSAA eligibility list until after they are through competing indoors. This really affects those that are competing late in the indoor season especially at nationals. In regards to outdoors if a school sends one athlete to a meet it counts as one of the allowed 11 meets. If a school is not willing to schedule one of the 'elite' meets for someone on their team you are out of luck. I wish Tennessee would do something like Virginia. In VA you are allowed 10 meets. You are allowed up to four meets to go to meets other than what the team does. I worked with a VA athlete a few years back and we requested going to 4 quality meets separate from the team. She still represented her school and had to drop 4 of the team's regular meets to keep her at the 10 meets allowed.
@SteelHC

It is not a problem to compete indoors for Tennessee athletes. However, they must compete for a club or unattached. Since they do not represent a school indoors they cannot compete in any indoor meets that are NFHS sanctioned (Virginia tech for example). That limits the options for indoor meets for Tennessee athletes. The other thing in regards to indoor competition is that the school must not submit the athlete on their TSSAA eligibility list until after they are through competing indoors. This really affects those that are competing late in the indoor season especially at nationals.

In regards to outdoors if a school sends one athlete to a meet it counts as one of the allowed 11 meets. If a school is not willing to schedule one of the 'elite' meets for someone on their team you are out of luck.

I wish Tennessee would do something like Virginia. In VA you are allowed 10 meets. You are allowed up to four meets to go to meets other than what the team does. I worked with a VA athlete a few years back and we requested going to 4 quality meets separate from the team. She still represented her school and had to drop 4 of the team's regular meets to keep her at the 10 meets allowed.
02/22/2011 10:05:17 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I did check the rule book. It might be wrong, or I might misunderstand what it says, but on page 38 it says 8 dates -- not 11.
I did check the rule book. It might be wrong, or I might misunderstand what it says, but on page 38 it says 8 dates -- not 11.
02/22/2011 11:01:30 AM
Coach
@wadesl Middle School - 8 High School - 11
@wadesl

Middle School - 8

High School - 11
02/22/2011 11:12:16 AM
Coach
The solution, to the delima is to obtain the Golf and Bowling exemption from TSSAA. The handbook, in the participation section, states that in these two sports, athletes can participate in outside tournaments, without impacting elgibility. Logic is the same individual participation, non TSSAA events. Now the questionis how do we get this accomplished?
The solution, to the delima is to obtain the Golf and Bowling exemption from TSSAA. The handbook, in the participation section, states that in these two sports, athletes can participate in outside tournaments, without impacting elgibility. Logic is the same individual participation, non TSSAA events.

Now the questionis how do we get this accomplished?
02/23/2011 4:17:23 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@SteelHC it's not a "non TSSAA event." it's a outdoor high school meet. under NFHS rules. it's not a USATF or an AAU meet. there is no need for the change in the rule you talk about golf having above. you won't find a "non NFHS meet" from march to may, so why would we need this exception. and i doubt this team has 11 quality meets on their schedule. it's simple the team can schedule the meet and whatever athletes can qualify can run it.
@SteelHC

it's not a "non TSSAA event." it's a outdoor high school meet. under NFHS rules. it's not a USATF or an AAU meet. there is no need for the change in the rule you talk about golf having above. you won't find a "non NFHS meet" from march to may, so why would we need this exception. and i doubt this team has 11 quality meets on their schedule. it's simple the team can schedule the meet and whatever athletes can qualify can run it.
02/23/2011 10:59:34 AM
Coach
@CoachWill Many parents and coaches of athletes who are competitive on a National level have to sit down and figure out a way for the athlete to compete in the Big Meets. Last Year there was a competion for an international team that was held in April. No athlete from TN was able to compete because of the current rules. A Head Coach of a HS team will have athletes of diffrent abilities and prioities. He or She cannot be expected to schedule 3 or 4 big meets just for one or two athletes. That's not fair to the athletes who work hard just to be the #3 sprinter or jumper on the team. If the very simple rule change of giving all individual sports (track,XC, wrestling, golf and bowling) the same exemption. which is individual participation in a sepreate event does not count aginst the teams schedule. In this manner there will be no negative impact on the sports or athletes. Yes they compete as school teams, but each participating athlete has the opportunity to advance based soley on his or her ability.
@CoachWill
Many parents and coaches of athletes who are competitive on a National level have to sit down and figure out a way for the athlete to compete in the Big Meets. Last Year there was a competion for an international team that was held in April. No athlete from TN was able to compete because of the current rules.

A Head Coach of a HS team will have athletes of diffrent abilities and prioities. He or She cannot be expected to schedule 3 or 4 big meets just for one or two athletes. That's not fair to the athletes who work hard just to be the #3 sprinter or jumper on the team.

If the very simple rule change of giving all individual sports (track,XC, wrestling, golf and bowling) the same exemption. which is individual participation in a sepreate event does not count aginst the teams schedule. In this manner there will be no negative impact on the sports or athletes. Yes they compete as school teams, but each participating athlete has the opportunity to advance based soley on his or her ability.
02/23/2011 3:21:28 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@SteelHC Actually you are wrong once again. I know the meet you are talking about. And you could have gotten an exemption to go compete at that meet. It was in Texas right, to qualify for a meet in Singapore?? It seems you just aren't very familiar with all the rules and how to go about getting waivers for elite athletes. I had a TN athlete that was asked to compete in it. We could have gone with no problem. You are making a big deal out of something that's not.
@SteelHC

Actually you are wrong once again. I know the meet you are talking about. And you could have gotten an exemption to go compete at that meet. It was in Texas right, to qualify for a meet in Singapore?? It seems you just aren't very familiar with all the rules and how to go about getting waivers for elite athletes. I had a TN athlete that was asked to compete in it. We could have gone with no problem. You are making a big deal out of something that's not.
02/23/2011 3:44:58 PM
Coach
@CoachWill Coach thank you for making my point. If the the indivdual sport exemptions were in consistant then no waivers would have been needed. The goal should be to keep it simple.
@CoachWill

Coach thank you for making my point. If the the indivdual sport exemptions were in consistant then no waivers would have been needed. The goal should be to keep it simple.
02/24/2011 2:53:49 PM
User
The words TSSAA, simple and logical should never be put in the same sentence.
The words TSSAA, simple and logical should never be put in the same sentence.
04/16/2011 1:06:42 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Reminder - Entry deadline is tomorrow! B-)
Reminder - Entry deadline is tomorrow!
04/19/2011 1:14:18 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Participation List is now posted on the meet page. B-)
Participation List is now posted on the meet page.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.