Watches
11/08/2020 12:26:35 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Will runners be allowed to wear running watches to help them pace?
Will runners be allowed to wear running watches to help them pace?
11/08/2020 3:55:00 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@TGPHILLIPS In previous years, MOC has been organized by USATF which does allow athletes to wear watches during the race. Hopefully you will receive confirmation from someone in a position authority connected to the meet, but I thought I would offer that bit of insight.
@TGPHILLIPS In previous years, MOC has been organized by USATF which does allow athletes to wear watches during the race. Hopefully you will receive confirmation from someone in a position authority connected to the meet, but I thought I would offer that bit of insight.
11/08/2020 6:31:14 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@bradheppner and @TGPHILLIPS, I have confirmed with the USATF Youth Chair and meet management that USATF rules will be followed for the Meet of Champions as it is not a GHSA event. As long as the athletes are not receiving and transmitting data with any other person while they are running, "wearable technology" is allowed. Therefore, GPS devices are allowed. USATF RULE 144 - ASSISTANCE TO ATHLETES 4. The following shall [b]not[/b] be considered assistance: (g) Personally carrying or wearing articles of equipment such as wrist chronometers, heart rate monitors, speed distance monitors, stride sensors or similar devices during a race provided that such device cannot be used to communicate with any other person. Additionally, NFHS Track and Field and Cross Country Rules do not prohibit the use of wearable technologies, but Rules 3-2-8a and 4-6-5d state that no competitor may receive electronically transmitted data from a coach or other third party. If such communication is observed by an official, the competitor should be disqualified.
@bradheppner and @TGPHILLIPS,

I have confirmed with the USATF Youth Chair and meet management that USATF rules will be followed for the Meet of Champions as it is not a GHSA event.

As long as the athletes are not receiving and transmitting data with any other person while they are running, "wearable technology" is allowed.

Therefore, GPS devices are allowed.

USATF RULE 144 - ASSISTANCE TO ATHLETES
4. The following shall not be considered assistance:
(g) Personally carrying or wearing articles of equipment such as wrist chronometers, heart rate monitors, speed distance monitors, stride sensors or similar devices during a race provided that such device cannot be used to communicate with any other person.

Additionally, NFHS Track and Field and Cross Country Rules do not prohibit the use of wearable technologies, but Rules 3-2-8a and 4-6-5d state that no competitor may receive electronically transmitted data from a coach or other third party. If such communication is observed by an official, the competitor should be disqualified.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.