Opinions About the Chattahoochee Hills Eventing Venue
10/03/2020 11:31:25 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Let's hear it on this topic folks, tell us what you thought about the overall venue, the setting, the course, and the race. Would you like to see more races held here in the future? Coaches, runners, parents, and fans, let's hear it. I have heard it was great and picturesque.
Let's hear it on this topic folks, tell us what you thought about the overall venue, the setting, the course, and the race. Would you like to see more races held here in the future? Coaches, runners, parents, and fans, let's hear it. I have heard it was great and picturesque.
10/04/2020 9:53:15 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Venue was great. At some point, consideration should be given to holding the State Meet here. Wide open start area, course can stay wide, plenty of parking (and space, in general) - great venue.
Venue was great. At some point, consideration should be given to holding the State Meet here. Wide open start area, course can stay wide, plenty of parking (and space, in general) - great venue.
10/04/2020 11:39:03 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@GACARTER I agree, this would be a great venue for the state meet. there is a nice wide start area and plenty of room to run on the entire course.
@GACARTER

I agree, this would be a great venue for the state meet. there is a nice wide start area and plenty of room to run on the entire course.
10/04/2020 12:18:15 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
It was a great venue - course was both challenging and fair, so provided strong times for the runners. Thanks to all who worked so hard to set it up.
It was a great venue - course was both challenging and fair, so provided strong times for the runners. Thanks to all who worked so hard to set it up.
10/05/2020 8:48:52 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The only big concern I had was the start. The rightmost teams seemed like they were at a disadvantage with the initial pinch of the course. But there's probably an easy remedy if you shift the starting point around a little bit, and after those first 100 steps the course/venue was gorgeous. The hills were enough to challenge the speedsters and kept it from feeling like track on grass, but the course stayed fast despite them.
The only big concern I had was the start. The rightmost teams seemed like they were at a disadvantage with the initial pinch of the course.

But there's probably an easy remedy if you shift the starting point around a little bit, and after those first 100 steps the course/venue was gorgeous. The hills were enough to challenge the speedsters and kept it from feeling like track on grass, but the course stayed fast despite them.
10/05/2020 9:54:50 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I think the other potential negative is the fog. I am sure it had an impact (large or small - I don't know) on the club race and the championship boys race. Love the venue overall, though.
I think the other potential negative is the fog. I am sure it had an impact (large or small - I don't know) on the club race and the championship boys race. Love the venue overall, though.
10/05/2020 10:26:59 AM
Power User
Fox Hall and now this venue are both spectacular and actually pretty close to each other even though on opposite sides of the river. The downside, if any, is that both of these venues are "for profit", meaning XC gets the squeeze if a more lucrative event comes along. I think tough mudders had a home here, and one or two of the big concert festivals. So the trick would be to find a way to insure continuity on the calendar.
Fox Hall and now this venue are both spectacular and actually pretty close to each other even though on opposite sides of the river. The downside, if any, is that both of these venues are "for profit", meaning XC gets the squeeze if a more lucrative event comes along. I think tough mudders had a home here, and one or two of the big concert festivals. So the trick would be to find a way to insure continuity on the calendar.
10/05/2020 2:46:57 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Pre1962 we actually have a pretty good relationship with management and they’ve assured us they want us coming back year after year. They really emphasized making this a multi year relationship for both ASICS and Fulton County Championship. So there is very little chance of us getting booted for other events.
@Pre1962 we actually have a pretty good relationship with management and they've assured us they want us coming back year after year. They really emphasized making this a multi year relationship for both ASICS and Fulton County Championship. So there is very little chance of us getting booted for other events.
10/05/2020 3:09:02 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Pre1962 We are booked for October 9th of next year.
@Pre1962 We are booked for October 9th of next year.
10/05/2020 3:34:36 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@brxctf2001 That's great to hear Coach!!!! My observations, like I posted in the other thread, were all positive: Great course prep Good spectator course without the athletes feeling like they have no room to just run excellent volunteers: from the parking to the packet pickup, to the finishing chute Great competition Great and timely communication from the meet director
@brxctf2001 That's great to hear Coach!!!!

My observations, like I posted in the other thread, were all positive:

Great course prep
Good spectator course without the athletes feeling like they have no room to just run
excellent volunteers: from the parking to the packet pickup, to the finishing chute
Great competition
Great and timely communication from the meet director
10/06/2020 8:04:23 AM
Admin
Carrollton HS staff does a great job with the GHSA CC State Meet. My biggest concern with moving this meet is who would organize the meet and setup course. Could be a simple answer, but needed to bring this up.
Carrollton HS staff does a great job with the GHSA CC State Meet. My biggest concern with moving this meet is who would organize the meet and setup course. Could be a simple answer, but needed to bring this up.
10/08/2020 3:05:04 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@plogan40 Thank you for the support. I have only been on staff this past year and now this season at Carrollton. Coach Musselwhite has perfected the art of running the State Championship meet and has begun to impart that knowledge to others. If we are talking about the course alone...I think we have a great course. But obviously I am biased. I am transparent enough to know it is not perfect. I have said it before, I do like our championship course to present some challenges that are more conducive to XC than a track. We have a viewer friendly course as well. But I also agree there are great courses located throughout the entire State. There is more to running a Championship meet than the course you run. There is lodging, parking, and other essentials. I am not saying that other venues can't accommodate this either. And lastly...I love the consistency of hosting the State Meet on the same course over a matter of years. But again, I am biased. Feel free to agree and disagree. I am trying to remain supportive of others and supportive of ourselves.
@plogan40 Thank you for the support. I have only been on staff this past year and now this season at Carrollton. Coach Musselwhite has perfected the art of running the State Championship meet and has begun to impart that knowledge to others. If we are talking about the course alone...I think we have a great course. But obviously I am biased. I am transparent enough to know it is not perfect. I have said it before, I do like our championship course to present some challenges that are more conducive to XC than a track. We have a viewer friendly course as well. But I also agree there are great courses located throughout the entire State. There is more to running a Championship meet than the course you run. There is lodging, parking, and other essentials. I am not saying that other venues can't accommodate this either. And lastly...I love the consistency of hosting the State Meet on the same course over a matter of years. But again, I am biased. Feel free to agree and disagree. I am trying to remain supportive of others and supportive of ourselves.
10/09/2020 10:43:59 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Sorrells28 I think the spectator friendly nature of Carrollton is a good point. Chattahoochee Hills was a very nice venue but not as spectator friendly in my opinion as Carrollton.
@Sorrells28 I think the spectator friendly nature of Carrollton is a good point. Chattahoochee Hills was a very nice venue but not as spectator friendly in my opinion as Carrollton.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.