Thoughts on 7 (8) classes
11/05/2017 4:20:43 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Now that we've had a few years with 6 and now 7 classifications (8 counting public/private single-A), just curious as to everyone's thoughts on the impact of 7 classifications on the actual races at the state meet. Just intellectual curiosity on my part. Interested in others' thoughts.
Now that we've had a few years with 6 and now 7 classifications (8 counting public/private single-A), just curious as to everyone's thoughts on the impact of 7 classifications on the actual races at the state meet.

Just intellectual curiosity on my part. Interested in others' thoughts.
11/05/2017 5:07:45 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@GACARTER My personal thoughts are there are TOO MANY classes and too many state champions/winners at our state meet. The A-Public/Private split I will not comment publicly on but the divisions and where the lines are drawn for school populations are tough to understand. Some schools are 2-300 kids apart yet are in 2 separate classifications but in one class there is almost a 2000 person difference but yet run in the same class. Many rivalries in the larger classes got struck-down with the creation of 7A and with so many classes it has diluted the sport with too many "winners" at state Florida has more schools & population but only 4 classes. Indiana has NO CLASSES and is totally geographically based in their races to get to state (remember the movie Hoosiers?). A "David & Goliath" scenario can never happen here with 7/8 classes. Come from behind scenario's are good for our sport and all high school athletics and brings our sport more attention in the main stream sports news. Just some food for thought.
@GACARTER
My personal thoughts are there are TOO MANY classes and too many state champions/winners at our state meet. The A-Public/Private split I will not comment publicly on but the divisions and where the lines are drawn for school populations are tough to understand. Some schools are 2-300 kids apart yet are in 2 separate classifications but in one class there is almost a 2000 person difference but yet run in the same class. Many rivalries in the larger classes got struck-down with the creation of 7A and with so many classes it has diluted the sport with too many "winners" at state
Florida has more schools & population but only 4 classes. Indiana has NO CLASSES and is totally geographically based in their races to get to state (remember the movie Hoosiers?). A "David & Goliath" scenario can never happen here with 7/8 classes. Come from behind scenario's are good for our sport and all high school athletics and brings our sport more attention in the main stream sports news. Just some food for thought.
11/05/2017 5:28:45 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
5-6 classes max would be an improvement and a 1 day state meet, A Pub and Private combined too.
5-6 classes max would be an improvement and a 1 day state meet, A Pub and Private combined too.
11/05/2017 6:33:03 PM
User
I feel like everyone must be fairly happy with the classes. I say this because there was no discussion of who got left out of the state meet this year. Are there too many teams in the meet? I feel like there are; in the 2A race there was a top ten finisher that was DQed after it was discovered that he was on the first lap. Time standArds would have limited the 2A field significantly. How do walkers make it to the state championship race?
I feel like everyone must be fairly happy with the classes. I say this because there was no discussion of who got left out of the state meet this year. Are there too many teams in the meet? I feel like there are; in the 2A race there was a top ten finisher that was DQed after it was discovered that he was on the first lap. Time standArds would have limited the 2A field significantly. How do walkers make it to the state championship race?
11/05/2017 7:48:02 PM
User
Too many. While I realize that football drives ALL decisions in the GHSA, the ripple effect has created a state championship that feels more like a participation event than a Championship. The old system of 2 teams/region made it honest, and while it can be argued that several qualified teams were eliminated prior to the State championship, it did not diminish any single team's eligibility.
Too many. While I realize that football drives ALL decisions in the GHSA, the ripple effect has created a state championship that feels more like a participation event than a Championship. The old system of 2 teams/region made it honest, and while it can be argued that several qualified teams were eliminated prior to the State championship, it did not diminish any single team's eligibility.
11/05/2017 8:06:57 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
According to the most current stats I could find (NFHS 14-15 survey results) Georgia has more students participating in high school cross country than both Florida and Indiana. Also in the last 7-8 years the participation in the sport of cross country has risen by around 1500 participants in the state of Georgia. I think the question as we evaluate the success of the current system is what do we think determines success? According to these numbers, if success is measured by increased participation, then our state is doing better than many other states. I understand that I hold a bias as a small school coach, but I am interested to hear how others determine the success of a state classification system in our sport.
According to the most current stats I could find (NFHS 14-15 survey results) Georgia has more students participating in high school cross country than both Florida and Indiana. Also in the last 7-8 years the participation in the sport of cross country has risen by around 1500 participants in the state of Georgia. I think the question as we evaluate the success of the current system is what do we think determines success? According to these numbers, if success is measured by increased participation, then our state is doing better than many other states. I understand that I hold a bias as a small school coach, but I am interested to hear how others determine the success of a state classification system in our sport.
11/05/2017 8:20:01 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I'm more interested in the races themselves, not necessarily whether 7 classes is too many. I ask because I noticed a lot of low scores this year. Milton's boys, for example, are being talked about as one of the best teams in state history. Yet, they only had the 5th lowest point total of the winning teams at State. Were there really 4 teams that were comparatively better than Milton's boys? Not in my opinion. No girls champion scored more than 64 points. Not to take anything away from those teams. Georgia certainly had some very good teams this year. But, the number of very low scores caught my attention. Prior to 2016 and going to 7 classes, there were usually a few classes each year where the winning team scores 100 or more. Since going to 7 classes, there have only been 2 team champions (out of 32) score more than 80.
I'm more interested in the races themselves, not necessarily whether 7 classes is too many. I ask because I noticed a lot of low scores this year. Milton's boys, for example, are being talked about as one of the best teams in state history. Yet, they only had the 5th lowest point total of the winning teams at State. Were there really 4 teams that were comparatively better than Milton's boys? Not in my opinion. No girls champion scored more than 64 points. Not to take anything away from those teams. Georgia certainly had some very good teams this year. But, the number of very low scores caught my attention. Prior to 2016 and going to 7 classes, there were usually a few classes each year where the winning team scores 100 or more. Since going to 7 classes, there have only been 2 team champions (out of 32) score more than 80.
11/05/2017 8:43:12 PM
Coach
As a coach of a XC program that is only it's 3rd year of existence I may have a little different viewpoint than most on the number of classes and the number of teams that qualify, as well as, other areas that might be of concern 1. Number of classes: I think the number of classes within the GHSA is sufficient. There is no best way to divide those classes and there will always be people that are not happy with how they are divided. The current classes give us a wide representation of schools of different sizes as well as representation from across all parts of the state. 2. Number of Qualifying Teams: I do think that the number of qualifying teams is to many. I think that 2 teams from each region is plenty but I also think that there should be additional teams that can qualify through other means. They could run a qualifying team average at a "certified event" or by having an "area/sectional meet" after the region meet for the #3-#6 teams. I was not a supporter of the area meet that was proposed by the committee a few years ago but after several years I see where it can help eliminate those teams that come from Regions that are weaker than others. Ideally I think that 16 teams should qualify from each class, with the opportunity for up to 8 more teams to qualify At-Large. 3. I think that we need to do a better job of reporting results. While MileSplit is the go to source for most of us; some coaches and programs still refuse to get on board with the current times. I think in both track and XC that the the GHSA should required that programs participate in a certain numbers of events that results would be submitted either to MileSplit or some other database. This would help with teams that never report results while also encouraging programs to participate in events that they may not otherwise participate in. Just an opinion of small school coach of a fairly new program. ~ Will
As a coach of a XC program that is only it's 3rd year of existence I may have a little different viewpoint than most on the number of classes and the number of teams that qualify, as well as, other areas that might be of concern

1. Number of classes: I think the number of classes within the GHSA is sufficient. There is no best way to divide those classes and there will always be people that are not happy with how they are divided. The current classes give us a wide representation of schools of different sizes as well as representation from across all parts of the state.

2. Number of Qualifying Teams: I do think that the number of qualifying teams is to many. I think that 2 teams from each region is plenty but I also think that there should be additional teams that can qualify through other means. They could run a qualifying team average at a "certified event" or by having an "area/sectional meet" after the region meet for the #3-#6 teams. I was not a supporter of the area meet that was proposed by the committee a few years ago but after several years I see where it can help eliminate those teams that come from Regions that are weaker than others. Ideally I think that 16 teams should qualify from each class, with the opportunity for up to 8 more teams to qualify At-Large.

3. I think that we need to do a better job of reporting results. While MileSplit is the go to source for most of us; some coaches and programs still refuse to get on board with the current times. I think in both track and XC that the the GHSA should required that programs participate in a certain numbers of events that results would be submitted either to MileSplit or some other database. This would help with teams that never report results while also encouraging programs to participate in events that they may not otherwise participate in.

Just an opinion of small school coach of a fairly new program. ~ Will
11/05/2017 9:09:53 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@WillWood I appreciate you always sending in your results!
@WillWood I appreciate you always sending in your results!
11/05/2017 10:31:44 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It seems to have had the greatest impact on the largest classification, especially on the girls side. While I'd argue that the overall quality of teams is better today than it was 15 years ago, the addition of classifications has certainly spread out that quality. Two years into seven classifications, 18 girls (on average) are within 2 minutes of the top runner in 7A. When there were six classifications there were an average of 28 runners within 2 minutes of the top runner in 6A. From 2003-2011 there were, on average, 34 runners within 2 minutes of the top runner in 5A. That, of course, means lower scores for high quality teams today than when there were fewer classifications. Granted, this data can be skewed by an extreme outlier for the top runner (Funderburk comes to mind). All that said, I still believe that distance running in Georgia is much better on average than it was a generation ago.
It seems to have had the greatest impact on the largest classification, especially on the girls side. While I'd argue that the overall quality of teams is better today than it was 15 years ago, the addition of classifications has certainly spread out that quality. Two years into seven classifications, 18 girls (on average) are within 2 minutes of the top runner in 7A. When there were six classifications there were an average of 28 runners within 2 minutes of the top runner in 6A. From 2003-2011 there were, on average, 34 runners within 2 minutes of the top runner in 5A. That, of course, means lower scores for high quality teams today than when there were fewer classifications.

Granted, this data can be skewed by an extreme outlier for the top runner (Funderburk comes to mind).

All that said, I still believe that distance running in Georgia is much better on average than it was a generation ago.
11/06/2017 8:28:49 AM
Power User
When I see this debate a few things come to mind. 1. Those of us on milesplit are probably in the minority, of the 460 GHSA high schools in Ga I doubt most of them ever browse this discussion board or take cross country as serious as we do. 8 championships for 460 schools seems ok honestly. 2. State is state. Why are people saying state is not competitive enough? The truth is if state does not satisfy your desire for achievement there is another option. If I were the coach of a smaller classification and wanted to raise the bar past state I would simply make our goal to one or more of the following in addition to winning state… a. Place in the top 10 at Coach Wood b. Attend and win the Meet of Champions c. Attend Nike SE regional d. Try to win SE regional and attend Nationals. 3. We are such a unique sport in that we can compete against multiple teams on the same day, classification honesty does not matter that much outside of state, keep your team going and see how well you can do at a post season race, what other sport in high school can you truly find a national champion? Cross-Country is made for it, if state is not enough of an accomplishment, raise the bar and go for state plus X. 4. At the end of the day, becoming state champions regardless of class is an accomplishment, in 1A(public) you were the best team out of 53, in 1A(private) you were the best team out of 70 schools, in 2A you were the best team out of 63 schools, in 3A you were the best team out of 58 schools, in 4A you were the best team out of 52 schools, in 5A you were the best team out of 58 schools, in 6A you were the best team out of 58 schools, and in 7A you were the best team out of the 48 highest populated schools. 5. I’m all for Meet of Champions becoming an official GHSA sanctioned meet, why not have one more race for the top two from the previous week, a 16 team meet or even top four so 32 teams. It’s not football, it wouldn’t take 5 rounds and 5 weeks, it just takes a day to find out who wins. I really don’t understand who could be against this.
When I see this debate a few things come to mind.
1. Those of us on milesplit are probably in the minority, of the 460 GHSA high schools in Ga I doubt most of them ever browse this discussion board or take cross country as serious as we do. 8 championships for 460 schools seems ok honestly.
2. State is state. Why are people saying state is not competitive enough? The truth is if state does not satisfy your desire for achievement there is another option. If I were the coach of a smaller classification and wanted to raise the bar past state I would simply make our goal to one or more of the following in addition to winning state…
a. Place in the top 10 at Coach Wood
b. Attend and win the Meet of Champions
c. Attend Nike SE regional
d. Try to win SE regional and attend Nationals.
3. We are such a unique sport in that we can compete against multiple teams on the same day, classification honesty does not matter that much outside of state, keep your team going and see how well you can do at a post season race, what other sport in high school can you truly find a national champion? Cross-Country is made for it, if state is not enough of an accomplishment, raise the bar and go for state plus X.
4. At the end of the day, becoming state champions regardless of class is an accomplishment, in 1A(public) you were the best team out of 53, in 1A(private) you were the best team out of 70 schools, in 2A you were the best team out of 63 schools, in 3A you were the best team out of 58 schools, in 4A you were the best team out of 52 schools, in 5A you were the best team out of 58 schools, in 6A you were the best team out of 58 schools, and in 7A you were the best team out of the 48 highest populated schools.
5. I'm all for Meet of Champions becoming an official GHSA sanctioned meet, why not have one more race for the top two from the previous week, a 16 team meet or even top four so 32 teams. It's not football, it wouldn't take 5 rounds and 5 weeks, it just takes a day to find out who wins. I really don't understand who could be against this.
11/06/2017 9:56:13 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
1. I agree that we have too many classes and are handing out too many trophies. I know football and basketball are the driving sports behind this, but I would love to see us combine classes in cross country. I doubt it would ever happen, but this would be my proposal for 4 total classifications: -Leave 7A alone and maybe even shrink it down to a "super 32" or something. -Combine 4-6A into the next highest classification. -Combine 1a and 2a into one classification. -Make all private schools play up 1 classification, which would essentially combine 1A private with 3A. Can you imagine how much more exciting the races would have been? Cambridge, Pope, McIntosh, Starrs Mill, Marist, and St. Pius boys would have been a heck of a race! Instead we got 3 different dual meets. 2. On the other hand, All 3 of those dual meets were exciting to watch! I certainly prefer option 1, but from a fan perspective, 4a, 5a, and 6a were more fun to watch than 7a. 7a was just a big clump, and while I paid very close attention to the race, it was hard for me to see that South Forsyth, Lakeside, Archer, and Collins Hill were all separated by only 5 points. Most of us missed the most exciting race within a race of the meet! I doubt even those coaches knew how close that one was. At least we have the video to go back and watch though. And while those 4-6a races were all exciting and fun to watch, cross country is truly at it's best when you have alot of teams in the mix like you got in 7A and like we always see at NXN and NCAA Nationals. 3. @8milegoat I agree completely with your points 1-3. I'm ok with your point 4, but things are still more watered down than they used to be. I don't agree with you on point 5. I don't like the idea of having two state meets. State is state. If you as a coach decide to put more emphasis on MOC (or Nike or footlocker or Coach wood), that's fine, but I don't like the idea of forcing it on everybody. I think it's fine the way it is.
1. I agree that we have too many classes and are handing out too many trophies. I know football and basketball are the driving sports behind this, but I would love to see us combine classes in cross country. I doubt it would ever happen, but this would be my proposal for 4 total classifications:
-Leave 7A alone and maybe even shrink it down to a "super 32" or something.
-Combine 4-6A into the next highest classification.
-Combine 1a and 2a into one classification.
-Make all private schools play up 1 classification, which would essentially combine 1A private with 3A.
Can you imagine how much more exciting the races would have been? Cambridge, Pope, McIntosh, Starrs Mill, Marist, and St. Pius boys would have been a heck of a race! Instead we got 3 different dual meets.

2. On the other hand, All 3 of those dual meets were exciting to watch! I certainly prefer option 1, but from a fan perspective, 4a, 5a, and 6a were more fun to watch than 7a. 7a was just a big clump, and while I paid very close attention to the race, it was hard for me to see that South Forsyth, Lakeside, Archer, and Collins Hill were all separated by only 5 points. Most of us missed the most exciting race within a race of the meet! I doubt even those coaches knew how close that one was. At least we have the video to go back and watch though. And while those 4-6a races were all exciting and fun to watch, cross country is truly at it's best when you have alot of teams in the mix like you got in 7A and like we always see at NXN and NCAA Nationals.

3. @8milegoat I agree completely with your points 1-3. I'm ok with your point 4, but things are still more watered down than they used to be. I don't agree with you on point 5. I don't like the idea of having two state meets. State is state. If you as a coach decide to put more emphasis on MOC (or Nike or footlocker or Coach wood), that's fine, but I don't like the idea of forcing it on everybody. I think it's fine the way it is.
11/06/2017 12:39:32 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
7A boys was certainly a clump! I had a video at mile 2 to compare with finish places. There was a bunch of change going on in that clump in the last mile. Grayson was solidly in 4th @ 2 miles but bled off over 50 points to end up 8th. Walton, South Forsyth and Archer were separated by 2 points in 5th, 6th and 7th with 1.1 to run. South's #2 (a freshman) and #3 both passed about a dozen runners to secure a 3rd place finish. Archer's 2, 3 and especially 4 all picked up a bunch of spots to offset their #5 who had a tough finish. Coach McCartney's boy's had to be crushed on the tie breaker but proud never the less. Collin's Hill guys almost made a last mile bid to podium as their #4 and #5 passed 20 and 17 respectively & their scoring 5 made up 48 points to move from 8th to 6th, missing the final podium spot by 3 points.
7A boys was certainly a clump!

I had a video at mile 2 to compare with finish places. There was a bunch of change going on in that clump in the last mile.

Grayson was solidly in 4th @ 2 miles but bled off over 50 points to end up 8th. Walton, South Forsyth and Archer were separated by 2 points in 5th, 6th and 7th with 1.1 to run. South's #2 (a freshman) and #3 both passed about a dozen runners to secure a 3rd place finish. Archer's 2, 3 and especially 4 all picked up a bunch of spots to offset their #5 who had a tough finish. Coach McCartney's boy's had to be crushed on the tie breaker but proud never the less. Collin's Hill guys almost made a last mile bid to podium as their #4 and #5 passed 20 and 17 respectively & their scoring 5 made up 48 points to move from 8th to 6th, missing the final podium spot by 3 points.
11/06/2017 2:55:01 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
If I could have it my way I would only have 4 classes. It would be based on school size and nothing else. I wouldn't adjust the city/private schools. I would also not let anyone play up. The highest class would only be about 15%. It would be the big schools. Then the rest would be divided 30/30/25. This is like the 90s I know, but I think it worked fine then. One thing I know is this. In 24 years of coaching, GHSA has added a new class 3 times. I don't see them going back.
If I could have it my way I would only have 4 classes. It would be based on school size and nothing else. I wouldn't adjust the city/private schools. I would also not let anyone play up. The highest class would only be about 15%. It would be the big schools. Then the rest would be divided 30/30/25. This is like the 90s I know, but I think it worked fine then. One thing I know is this. In 24 years of coaching, GHSA has added a new class 3 times. I don't see them going back.
11/06/2017 11:55:31 PM
User
@GACARTER I don't really care how many classifications they have (although I think 8 is stupid, and fewer would be better), but I really wish they would stop with the chains of "A"s as names for them. It has become really hard to know if AAAAAA is really AAAAAA and not AAAAAAA or AAAAA or AAAAAA. How about officially calling them "7A-x", "3A-x", etc. where "x" is the region number. Or even better, stop with the multiple A's altogether, and go with A, B, C, etc! I mean, what does the "A" signify anyway, since [b]THERE IS NO OTHER LETTER!!![/b] (Unlike in the past, when they also used "B" and C".) Look, in the real world, not everybody gets to be an "A", okay? It's just an arbitrary label to distinguish different sets of schools, and if your classification doesn't get an A, [b]IT'S NOT BAD!!![/b] (Really!)
@GACARTER
I don't really care how many classifications they have (although I think 8 is stupid, and fewer would be better), but I really wish they would stop with the chains of "A"s as names for them. It has become really hard to know if AAAAAA is really AAAAAA and not AAAAAAA or AAAAA or AAAAAA.

How about officially calling them "7A-x", "3A-x", etc. where "x" is the region number.

Or even better, stop with the multiple A's altogether, and go with A, B, C, etc!

I mean, what does the "A" signify anyway, since THERE IS NO OTHER LETTER!!! (Unlike in the past, when they also used "B" and C".)

Look, in the real world, not everybody gets to be an "A", okay? It's just an arbitrary label to distinguish different sets of schools, and if your classification doesn't get an A, IT'S NOT BAD!!! (Really!)
11/07/2017 1:21:25 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I like all the thoughts & comments. State championships are prestigious, regardless of the number of teams in each class and the number of classes. The number of teams that qualify for State is a different thing, in my opinion. Somewhere around 50% of the schools in GHSA make it to Carrollton. At the same time, it's not 50% of each class (50% in 7A, more than 50% in 3A-6A, less than 50% in 2A, and far less than 50% in A). It seems like 50% of the teams making it to State is too much. Just my opinion, though. What I'm more interested in, though, than philosophically whether or not 7/8 classes it too many, is what the practical & measurable effects have been on the State meet & the races at State of going to 7/8 classes. I know the obvious: 2-day state meet, more teams go to state, etc. Just curious if anyone has noticed any impact on the way the races are run, quality of races, etc.
I like all the thoughts & comments. State championships are prestigious, regardless of the number of teams in each class and the number of classes. The number of teams that qualify for State is a different thing, in my opinion. Somewhere around 50% of the schools in GHSA make it to Carrollton. At the same time, it's not 50% of each class (50% in 7A, more than 50% in 3A-6A, less than 50% in 2A, and far less than 50% in A). It seems like 50% of the teams making it to State is too much. Just my opinion, though.

What I'm more interested in, though, than philosophically whether or not 7/8 classes it too many, is what the practical & measurable effects have been on the State meet & the races at State of going to 7/8 classes. I know the obvious: 2-day state meet, more teams go to state, etc.

Just curious if anyone has noticed any impact on the way the races are run, quality of races, etc.
11/07/2017 1:30:45 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I agree, it should be only 16-24 teams that make it to state if your class has less than 70 schools.
I agree, it should be only 16-24 teams that make it to state if your class has less than 70 schools.
11/07/2017 1:46:03 PM
Coach
From a AA perspective I think there was a huge improvement in the competitiveness of running from last year. Although the #1 team on both sides ran away with it the #2-#6 were fairly close together and any small change in individual placers could have tilted order of team finish for those teams. I think that last year with the exodus of the majority of private schools up to 3A or down to 1A left a lot of schools kinda wondering what's next. That one year let everyone gather some momentum. While AA will never be the same without the private schools I think that more teams see that as an opportunity to be competitive. And while we all like to win it's better for the sport if we can consistently put competitive teams out on the course regardless if we can win the big one or not.
From a AA perspective I think there was a huge improvement in the competitiveness of running from last year. Although the #1 team on both sides ran away with it the #2-#6 were fairly close together and any small change in individual placers could have tilted order of team finish for those teams.

I think that last year with the exodus of the majority of private schools up to 3A or down to 1A left a lot of schools kinda wondering what's next. That one year let everyone gather some momentum. While AA will never be the same without the private schools I think that more teams see that as an opportunity to be competitive. And while we all like to win it's better for the sport if we can consistently put competitive teams out on the course regardless if we can win the big one or not.
11/07/2017 7:47:34 PM
User
@WillWood I totally agree with your observation on 2A. Looking at all podium finishes from 2010-2015 only roughly 21% of them were filled by a public school team. 2A is made up of small mostly rural schools and even though I loved the competition of the private schools it does seem to be a more evenly matched class now. 3A and 4A have the exact same problem.
@WillWood I totally agree with your observation on 2A. Looking at all podium finishes from 2010-2015 only roughly 21% of them were filled by a public school team. 2A is made up of small mostly rural schools and even though I loved the competition of the private schools it does seem to be a more evenly matched class now. 3A and 4A have the exact same problem.
11/07/2017 11:15:15 PM
Coach
Crunched a few numbers... using 2A-6A, excluded 1A (Public and Private) and 7A because their qualifying is different. 2017 Podium Teams 2A-6A Boys and Girls ***Data was identical for boys and girls #1 Seeds: 65% made the podium #2 Seeds: 30% made the podium #3 Seeds: 5% made the podium #4 Seeds: 0% made the podium If you expand and look at the Top 10 a few #4 Seeds made it onto that list. On the boys side (6) #4 Seeds cracked the Top 10. White County (4A) and Dalton (6A) finished the highest of any #4 seeds at 6th each. While on the girls side only (2) #4 seeds made the Top 10. Would be interesting to see the comparison to last year and the 3-4 years before the additional classes were added. Just based on this year I would say we could reduce the number of qualifying teams to 3 per region. That gets us to 24 qualifying teams per class.
Crunched a few numbers... using 2A-6A, excluded 1A (Public and Private) and 7A because their qualifying is different.

2017 Podium Teams 2A-6A Boys and Girls
***Data was identical for boys and girls
#1 Seeds: 65% made the podium
#2 Seeds: 30% made the podium
#3 Seeds: 5% made the podium
#4 Seeds: 0% made the podium

If you expand and look at the Top 10 a few #4 Seeds made it onto that list. On the boys side (6) #4 Seeds cracked the Top 10. White County (4A) and Dalton (6A) finished the highest of any #4 seeds at 6th each. While on the girls side only (2) #4 seeds made the Top 10.

Would be interesting to see the comparison to last year and the 3-4 years before the additional classes were added. Just based on this year I would say we could reduce the number of qualifying teams to 3 per region. That gets us to 24 qualifying teams per class.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.