Poll: GHSA State Championship Consistency

Option Votes Score
For GHSA track & field, should all State Championship locations follow the same schedule? Event order, daily schedule, etc. 48 72%
Should a new location be considered if a current location is not able to accommodate the same schedule as the two other location 19 28%
67 Votes

Vote!
GHSA State Championship Consistency
11/11/2020 7:16:43 AM
User
We'd like to hear your thoughts on this topic.
We'd like to hear your thoughts on this topic.
11/11/2020 7:50:58 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Absolutely all 3 locations should be subject to following the same schedule and order of events. If we are going to continue to adopt these National Federation rules and implement across all classifications (and enforce them across all classifications) then all classifications should also be required to follow those National Federation order of events and time schedule at their State Meet. If a particular host site is unable to provide this, a new host site should be considered.
Absolutely all 3 locations should be subject to following the same schedule and order of events. If we are going to continue to adopt these National Federation rules and implement across all classifications (and enforce them across all classifications) then all classifications should also be required to follow those National Federation order of events and time schedule at their State Meet. If a particular host site is unable to provide this, a new host site should be considered.
11/11/2020 9:05:18 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
If the meets were conducted at the same location it would have one schedule so the concept of different schedules is problematic. If a school can not accommodate prescribed schedule then another location should be found.
If the meets were conducted at the same location it would have one schedule so the concept of different schedules is problematic. If a school can not accommodate prescribed schedule then another location should be found.
11/11/2020 9:22:40 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
All locations should follow the same schedule in order to ensure continuity of times and competition conditions. Further more the GHSA should routinely confer with all the states coaches in matters regarding state competition and scheduling. Via the county ADs or the Region Rep. for each class. But everyone's input should be sought out and openly recorded before decisions are made. The current process is antiquated and non inclusive.
All locations should follow the same schedule in order to ensure continuity of times and competition conditions. Further more the GHSA should routinely confer with all the states coaches in matters regarding state competition and scheduling. Via the county ADs or the Region Rep. for each class. But everyone's input should be sought out and openly recorded before decisions are made. The current process is antiquated and non inclusive.
11/11/2020 9:49:05 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I agree that all the state locations should have the same format just as they do in other sports. GHSAs track and field board should determine the schedule etc and make it mandatory for all 3 sites to follow this schedule. It is just a more sound practice and downright makes sense. Its bad enough that Georgia is a state with multiple state sites so the sensible thing to do would be to have consistency with scheduling and running of the meet. I also think that GHSA should do a better job of making sure that the state meet is like a STATE MEET, with more television coverage, digital leaderboards, and overall more fanfare. Since moving to 3 sites a few years ago the meets seem like just large invitational meets and not state meets.
I agree that all the state locations should have the same format just as they do in other sports. GHSAs track and field board should determine the schedule etc and make it mandatory for all 3 sites to follow this schedule. It is just a more sound practice and downright makes sense. Its bad enough that Georgia is a state with multiple state sites so the sensible thing to do would be to have consistency with scheduling and running of the meet. I also think that GHSA should do a better job of making sure that the state meet is like a STATE MEET, with more television coverage, digital leaderboards, and overall more fanfare. Since moving to 3 sites a few years ago the meets seem like just large invitational meets and not state meets.
11/11/2020 9:54:41 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=msturley]I agree that all the state locations should have the same format just as they do in other sports. GHSAs track and field board should determine the schedule etc and make it mandatory for all 3 sites to follow this schedule. It is just a more sound practice and downright makes sense. Its bad enough that Georgia is a state with multiple state sites so the sensible thing to do would be to have consistency with scheduling and running of the meet. I also think that GHSA should do a better job of making sure that the state meet is like a STATE MEET, with more television coverage, digital leaderboards, and overall more fanfare. Since moving to 3 sites a few years ago the meets seem like just large invitational meets and not state meets. [/quote] I agree completely!
msturley wrote:
I agree completely!
11/11/2020 10:27:46 AM
Coach
Each location should follow the same schedule. The State Championships should be uniform for all athletes, no exceptions.
Each location should follow the same schedule. The State Championships should be uniform for all athletes, no exceptions.
11/11/2020 10:38:39 AM
Coach
All locations should follow the same a schedule/structure. This allows the level of fairness across the board. Thia seem to be the logical process. Also, selected venues should be able to support the proposed layout for meet schedule.
All locations should follow the same a schedule/structure. This allows the level of fairness across the board. Thia seem to be the logical process. Also, selected venues should be able to support the proposed layout for meet schedule.
11/11/2020 10:51:31 AM
User
I don't understand the 2 options. I would like to vote, but each option is asking a question, and there is not a yes/no option for each question to pick from.
I don't understand the 2 options. I would like to vote, but each option is asking a question, and there is not a yes/no option for each question to pick from.
11/11/2020 11:15:58 AM
Power User
Track events, yes. Field events, no. If the argument is because field events cannot be contested in one day at a venue, consideration has to be taken of the # of classifications/genders represented and facility limitations (not enough pits, etc). We have to remember that the NFHS allows all state athletic associations to supersede NFHS rules, and our state has been one for years that did that (two relays, event entry limits, distance events in the evening, etc). Rule 1, section 2 (Order of Running Events) of the NFHS rulebook states--"The order of events listed shall be conducted unless changed by the games committee or the meet director." If you take away the ability of the games committee or meet director to change this, you are fundamentally changing the NFHS rule book, too. I'm not sure that is necessary since we have the GHSA T&F Advisory Committee & GHSA who did a ton of work with state meet directors in preparation for the multiple venues that had to be used when the classifications increased and the genders combined. Rule 1, section 3 (Field events) states "The following events may be conducted unless changed by the games committee or the meet director:" Events listed are DI, HJ, Javelin, LJ, PV, SP & TJ. Georgia does not compete in the javelin (although we did for years at the highest classification until some time in the 60's). We compete in all of those and there is no recommended order, so I assume the question addresses having all events contested exactly the same schedule at all locations. In regard to field events, if there was a standard order of events--what happens when it is raining and the PV is deemed unsafe to compete at one venue but it is not at another? There has to be creative license--which is why we have a games committee/meet director. I, too, miss the days of all classes being together and the pomp and circumstance that came with it (at least when it was the Girls State Meet and GA Olympics), but I am also thankful that we have combined the girls meet with the boys, too.
Track events, yes.

Field events, no.

If the argument is because field events cannot be contested in one day at a venue, consideration has to be taken of the # of classifications/genders represented and facility limitations (not enough pits, etc).

We have to remember that the NFHS allows all state athletic associations to supersede NFHS rules, and our state has been one for years that did that (two relays, event entry limits, distance events in the evening, etc).

Rule 1, section 2 (Order of Running Events) of the NFHS rulebook states--"The order of events listed shall be conducted unless changed by the
games committee or the meet director." If you take away the ability of the games committee or meet director to change this, you are fundamentally changing the NFHS rule book, too. I'm not sure that is necessary since we have the GHSA T&F Advisory Committee & GHSA who did a ton of work with state meet directors in preparation for the multiple venues that had to be used when the classifications increased and the genders combined.

Rule 1, section 3 (Field events) states "The following events may be conducted unless changed by the games committee or the meet director:"

Events listed are DI, HJ, Javelin, LJ, PV, SP & TJ. Georgia does not compete in the javelin (although we did for years at the highest classification until some time in the 60's). We compete in all of those and there is no recommended order, so I assume the question addresses having all events contested exactly the same schedule at all locations.

In regard to field events, if there was a standard order of events--what happens when it is raining and the PV is deemed unsafe to compete at one venue but it is not at another? There has to be creative license--which is why we have a games committee/meet director.

I, too, miss the days of all classes being together and the pomp and circumstance that came with it (at least when it was the Girls State Meet and GA Olympics), but I am also thankful that we have combined the girls meet with the boys, too.
11/11/2020 1:34:12 PM
User
Then maybe we should revisit the list of schools that are currently in the State Meet rotation. If you create a list of facilities that have all the necessary seating, equipment, event areas, bathrooms, etc. and you chose from that list, then current scheduling plan wouldn't be questioned right now. This would allow a synchronous initial schedule for all locations. Of course, if there are weather concerns, the meet director would make the necessary schedule adjustments at the prospective site. However, when looking at the current schedule, the Carrollton state meet schedule is completely different from the other two state meet schedules………… in field and running events. The NFHS allowing states the ability to supersede national rules doesn’t fit the question being asked. The idea of listing GHSA rule# blah after rule# blah overwhelms what the actual question is. The original question is should the schedule be the same at each location. We are just asking a question. We are trying to understand why this being rationalized when you can use other locations to keep some type of consistency between each state meet. It has been explained why the schedule must be the way it is at Carrolton. The question is, if this is so, then why is this the chosen location? Now, we know it takes a lot of planning to come up with a solid format to operate a meet of high magnitude such as ours. We are only asking an array of questions to stimulate a new way of thinking to make sure we are advancing with the times, continually cultivating the best talent in the nation, all while openly taking input from a variety of credible coaches from across the state. GHSA T&F, the Advisory Board and all associating groups have done a great job is planning and organizing over the years. There is now an opportunity to respectfully become more involved in the decision making processes by making sure the input, ideas and planning of the deciding members is indicative of the viewpoints from all coaches across the state. We don’t want rule breakdowns, we want open and honest discussions to make sure all voices and opinions are being heard and considered.
Then maybe we should revisit the list of schools that are currently in the State Meet rotation. If you create a list of facilities that have all the necessary seating, equipment, event areas, bathrooms, etc. and you chose from that list, then current scheduling plan wouldn't be questioned right now. This would allow a synchronous initial schedule for all locations. Of course, if there are weather concerns, the meet director would make the necessary schedule adjustments at the prospective site. However, when looking at the current schedule, the Carrollton state meet schedule is completely different from the other two state meet schedules………… in field and running events.

The NFHS allowing states the ability to supersede national rules doesn't fit the question being asked. The idea of listing GHSA rule# blah after rule# blah overwhelms what the actual question is. The original question is should the schedule be the same at each location. We are just asking a question. We are trying to understand why this being rationalized when you can use other locations to keep some type of consistency between each state meet. It has been explained why the schedule must be the way it is at Carrolton. The question is, if this is so, then why is this the chosen location?

Now, we know it takes a lot of planning to come up with a solid format to operate a meet of high magnitude such as ours. We are only asking an array of questions to stimulate a new way of thinking to make sure we are advancing with the times, continually cultivating the best talent in the nation, all while openly taking input from a variety of credible coaches from across the state. GHSA T&F, the Advisory Board and all associating groups have done a great job is planning and organizing over the years. There is now an opportunity to respectfully become more involved in the decision making processes by making sure the input, ideas and planning of the deciding members is indicative of the viewpoints from all coaches across the state. We don't want rule breakdowns, we want open and honest discussions to make sure all voices and opinions are being heard and considered.
11/11/2020 1:47:26 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
All the meets should follow the same schedule. If the venue can't follow the schedule, the meet should not be held at that location. Also, I am in favor of moving back to Girls and Boys separate. It is great to be able to enjoy Girls one weekend and Boys the next weekend.
All the meets should follow the same schedule. If the venue can't follow the schedule, the meet should not be held at that location. Also, I am in favor of moving back to Girls and Boys separate. It is great to be able to enjoy Girls one weekend and Boys the next weekend.
11/11/2020 1:49:39 PM
User
@ParkviewTrack I am happy that we have combined boys and girls at the same venue. I do not like the new set up with different sites & schedules for a STATE championschip. We should be able to meet and unite on a better option for the sport we all love! Or let the AD's & Region reps have a voice in this matter
@ParkviewTrack
I am happy that we have combined boys and girls at the same venue.
I do not like the new set up with different sites & schedules for a STATE championschip. We should be able to meet and unite on a better option for the sport we all love! Or let the AD's & Region reps have a voice in this matter
11/11/2020 1:57:06 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Every venue should have the same schedule. We are trying to make too many unnecessary changes. Change the venue if that school cannot meet the needs of all.
Every venue should have the same schedule. We are trying to make too many unnecessary changes. Change the venue if that school cannot meet the needs of all.
11/11/2020 2:06:50 PM
Coach
@fl1-1817430f-9a87-444b-b4e6-dba08f72fb80 It would be awesome to have everyone together. I just don't see someone being able to host it all in one location unless we have fewer GHSA classifications. Maybe I'm wrong. Seems like too many events to do that with 8 classifications.
@fl1-1817430f-9a87-444b-b4e6-dba08f72fb80

It would be awesome to have everyone together. I just don't see someone being able to host it all in one location unless we have fewer GHSA classifications. Maybe I'm wrong. Seems like too many events to do that with 8 classifications.
11/11/2020 2:12:00 PM
Power User
@MTFXCCGA The "blah" rules I listed aren't GHSA, they are NFHS. I'm sorry I didn't clarify that. I'm not trying to argue, I answered based on my opinion which is only worth as much as anyone else's. I don't know the process for state meet locations, but I'm sure that can be answered pretty quickly from the GHSA. I would imagine the reason Carrollton has been a site is because of Coach Musselwhite & staff's track record (no pun intended) hosting major events as well as their facilities. And I agree--I think a list of facilities is a great idea. I'm sure it could be started from the annual survey the GHSA sends for schools interested in hosting a sectional meet. Not all schools might be interested in hosting a sectionals and state meet, but I know the GHSA sends a crew to inspect any schools who wants to host and keeps them in mind as they make determinations. I love the passion and intent of improving communication. We are progressing as a state, and that is a great thing.
@MTFXCCGA

The "blah" rules I listed aren't GHSA, they are NFHS. I'm sorry I didn't clarify that. I'm not trying to argue, I answered based on my opinion which is only worth as much as anyone else's.

I don't know the process for state meet locations, but I'm sure that can be answered pretty quickly from the GHSA.

I would imagine the reason Carrollton has been a site is because of Coach Musselwhite & staff's track record (no pun intended) hosting major events as well as their facilities.

And I agree--I think a list of facilities is a great idea. I'm sure it could be started from the annual survey the GHSA sends for schools interested in hosting a sectional meet. Not all schools might be interested in hosting a sectionals and state meet, but I know the GHSA sends a crew to inspect any schools who wants to host and keeps them in mind as they make determinations.

I love the passion and intent of improving communication. We are progressing as a state, and that is a great thing.
11/11/2020 2:12:11 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
This is a good topic that needs attention! I believe GHSA & GATFXCCA are working to improve our sport. Thanks to MTFXCCGA in helping increase diversity on the advisory committees of GATFXCCA. Now lets all work together and divise a plan to help with growth in our state in regards to State Championship. Coaches please have these conversations with your Region reps & AD.
This is a good topic that needs attention! I believe GHSA & GATFXCCA are working to improve our sport. Thanks to MTFXCCGA in helping increase diversity on the advisory committees of GATFXCCA. Now lets all work together and divise a plan to help with growth in our state in regards to State Championship. Coaches please have these conversations with your Region reps & AD.
11/11/2020 2:15:30 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@ParkviewTrack Treat people the way you would like to be treated it will go a long way!
@ParkviewTrack Treat people the way you would like to be treated it will go a long way!
11/11/2020 2:36:17 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I should point out to everyone that the schedule for each venue for 2021 has not been finalized or published, yet (remember that the 2020 schedule posted on GHSA's website is last year's track season). I understand that the different schedules everyone is referencing are from previous years and the discussion here is a valid one. Just didn't want anyone to get ahead of themselves. One of the issues with the schedules at different venues has been that, in Carrollton, they have 2 full classes and adaptive athletes, while Berry & Albany have 2 full classes and one single-A class each (single-A does not have prelims at the state finals venue). For field events, that means that Carrollton only has 2 classes of prelims & finals for many of the field events & running events, while also not knowing the number of adaptive athletes travelling to Carrollton when they make the schedule. Berry & Albany will have 2 classes of prelims and 3 classes of finals for all events. I certainly can attest to the fact that the different schedule at Carrollton is not due to facility limitations. Of the 3 venues, I believe Albany has some limitations with PV and running events at the same time, but that's about it. My opinion is that the differences are more GHSA classification/division related than anything else. As far as a list of facilities goes, I can tell you as one of the people who used to serve on the Track/XC Advisory Committee that willing meet hosts with sufficient facilities are few & far between.
I should point out to everyone that the schedule for each venue for 2021 has not been finalized or published, yet (remember that the 2020 schedule posted on GHSA's website is last year's track season). I understand that the different schedules everyone is referencing are from previous years and the discussion here is a valid one. Just didn't want anyone to get ahead of themselves.

One of the issues with the schedules at different venues has been that, in Carrollton, they have 2 full classes and adaptive athletes, while Berry & Albany have 2 full classes and one single-A class each (single-A does not have prelims at the state finals venue). For field events, that means that Carrollton only has 2 classes of prelims & finals for many of the field events & running events, while also not knowing the number of adaptive athletes travelling to Carrollton when they make the schedule. Berry & Albany will have 2 classes of prelims and 3 classes of finals for all events.

I certainly can attest to the fact that the different schedule at Carrollton is not due to facility limitations. Of the 3 venues, I believe Albany has some limitations with PV and running events at the same time, but that's about it. My opinion is that the differences are more GHSA classification/division related than anything else.

As far as a list of facilities goes, I can tell you as one of the people who used to serve on the Track/XC Advisory Committee that willing meet hosts with sufficient facilities are few & far between.
11/11/2020 2:40:29 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I agree that all State Meet locations should follow the same schedule, and if a particular host location can't, then the meet should be moved to a location that can. We have to move on from what has been traditionally done to what is in the best interest of the sport, athletes, and coaches.
I agree that all State Meet locations should follow the same schedule, and if a particular host location can't, then the meet should be moved to a location that can. We have to move on from what has been traditionally done to what is in the best interest of the sport, athletes, and coaches.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.