Tokyo 2020
06/09/2017 12:22:22 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Next Olympics will feature a mixed 4x400 relay. Thoughts? https://www.olympic.org/news/tokyo-2020-event-programme-to-see-major-boost-for-female-participation-youth-and-urban-appeal
Next Olympics will feature a mixed 4x400 relay. Thoughts?

https://www.olympic.org/news/tokyo-2020-event-programme-to-see-major-boost-for-female-participation-youth-and-urban-appeal
06/11/2017 11:18:53 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Bansley2 Interesting that the event that coaches have to beg athletes to run ends up being the one that will get more juice. I love the 4X400M relays, but I'm not sure the mixed relay will get the "A" athletes from each country participating and how much fun it will be to watch the 5 or 6th best 400M runners in each country duke it out. Cool to see them trying new things though. I actually enjoyed some of the different type of events they tried last year in track. The mile race where the slowest person each lap was eliminated was fun to watch. Id rather have seen them add a single gender sprint or distance medley relay personally.
@Bansley2 Interesting that the event that coaches have to beg athletes to run ends up being the one that will get more juice. I love the 4X400M relays, but I'm not sure the mixed relay will get the "A" athletes from each country participating and how much fun it will be to watch the 5 or 6th best 400M runners in each country duke it out.

Cool to see them trying new things though. I actually enjoyed some of the different type of events they tried last year in track. The mile race where the slowest person each lap was eliminated was fun to watch.

Id rather have seen them add a single gender sprint or distance medley relay personally.
06/13/2017 8:54:28 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Interesting concept - will it help countries like the US who have the best depth or smaller countries that may not have a full 4x4 in either sex but can put together 2 men and 2 women who are very good. Certainly adds a bit of strategy from each teams part.
Interesting concept - will it help countries like the US who have the best depth or smaller countries that may not have a full 4x4 in either sex but can put together 2 men and 2 women who are very good. Certainly adds a bit of strategy from each teams part.
06/14/2017 10:17:34 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
I am not sure I understand the logic behind it. Creating a new event that is not contested at any level across the world at the OLYMPICS seems odd to me. I would think if they are trying to boost participation adding a conventional relay that is contested world-wide would make more sense. I personally would love to see a DMR or 4x800 in the olympics.
I am not sure I understand the logic behind it. Creating a new event that is not contested at any level across the world at the OLYMPICS seems odd to me. I would think if they are trying to boost participation adding a conventional relay that is contested world-wide would make more sense. I personally would love to see a DMR or 4x800 in the olympics.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.