Myles Collins at 2019 GHSA State (photo Dan McCauley)
The GHSA released a statement on July 1 easing guidelines for summer conditioning. On Wednesday 7/8, they did not implement any new changes at this time, though stated the situation is fluid and subject to change. It dealt primarily with football guidelines which of course is a 'contact' sport. Cross Country was not even mentioned in the July 1 statement...
July 8: The GHSA and the Sports Medicine Advisory Council appreciates our member schools' continued efforts in the successful implementation of the Coronavirus Guidance Plan. After our meeting today, the GHSA has elected to not implement any additional changes at this time. All previously distributed correspondence is still in place until further notice.
The GHSA Office is expecting all schools to continue reporting any and all Positive COVID-19 cases (list positive test date, athlete or coach, and sport) results since June 8th to Don Corr at email@example.com. In addition to the positive cases, we are requesting you report any and all individuals who have been screened out of any conditioning workouts (list date screened out, athlete or coach, and sport) to Don Corr at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recommendations and restrictions are fluid and subject to change. Safety must be our top priority. Thanks for all you and your staff do for the student/athletes in the State of Georgia.
July 1: The GHSA and the Sports Medicine Advisory Council appreciates our member schools' efforts during the successful implementation of the Coronavirus Guidance Plan. The GHSA has elected to implement:
1) intra-squad competitions (7-on-7, 3-on-3, ... ) are allowed but competition between schools is illegal,
2) Groups of 50 are allowed to re-group if it can be done safely,
3) Cheerleading, Softball, and Volleyball tryouts are allowed,
4) mask and face covering are recommended,
5) Each student should have their own personal water bottle (water bottles may be re-filled during workouts). No use of water fountains or "water cows" is allowed, starting Monday, July 6th with the following stipulations:
1. Recommend a mask or face covering.
2. Groups may be regrouped into a group with up to the limit of 50 individuals.
3. Water bottles may be refilled during workouts
FOOTBALL- NO helmets, shoulder pads, girdles, knee or thigh pads can be worn AT ANY TIME. The face mask and face-covering recommended guideline does not refer to helmets or helmet face masks, but to the use of cloth face-covering/masks to help slow the spread of Covid-19. Recommendations and restrictions are fluid and subject to change. Safety must be our top priority. Thanks for all you and your staff do for the student/athletes in the State of Georgia.