Most Professional Meets
09/11/2019 2:54:37 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Another coach and myself were talking about how large Wingfoot has become (over 90 high schools attending) and our comments on how it has become so large, so quick mainly revolved around how professionally done the race is. It is seriously top quality from registration to the community race. Which then begs the question, what other meets in Georgia qualify for this level of quality? I would vote for both the middle and high school state championships.
Another coach and myself were talking about how large Wingfoot has become (over 90 high schools attending) and our comments on how it has become so large, so quick mainly revolved around how professionally done the race is. It is seriously top quality from registration to the community race. Which then begs the question, what other meets in Georgia qualify for this level of quality? I would vote for both the middle and high school state championships.
09/12/2019 7:26:39 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@sinco Sounds like we have a volunteer to host both championships! You do realize most meets are hosted by full-time teachers who also coach right? Wingfoot does a tremendous job - no doubt about that - but to assume that should always be the norm is a bit over the top. Not *every* meet needs to have that sort of atmosphere. But again - hey, if you're willing to host State or your own meet, by all means - sign Post Malone on to perform between the middle school and high school races for your meet!
@sinco

Sounds like we have a volunteer to host both championships!

You do realize most meets are hosted by full-time teachers who also coach right? Wingfoot does a tremendous job - no doubt about that - but to assume that should always be the norm is a bit over the top. Not *every* meet needs to have that sort of atmosphere.

But again - hey, if you're willing to host State or your own meet, by all means - sign Post Malone on to perform between the middle school and high school races for your meet!
09/12/2019 8:26:30 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
As Wingfoot is a great example of a professional meet, let's not forget coaches have a reason why they schedule certain meets. It can be for geography, could be part of their training plan, or the quality of competition they are looking for. I think that Andy Christie does a great job with Coach Wood. Scott Wade at Heritage, Conyers, does great hosting the Aubrae Gunderson Invitational. Brian Robinson does great every year with the Alexander Invitational at Fox Hall. Weekday meets hosted by North Oconee and Athens Academy always have quality competition. There was no stage or live MC for these races. But coaches who want to have their kids race and great competition to go with it.
As Wingfoot is a great example of a professional meet, let's not forget coaches have a reason why they schedule certain meets. It can be for geography, could be part of their training plan, or the quality of competition they are looking for. I think that Andy Christie does a great job with Coach Wood. Scott Wade at Heritage, Conyers, does great hosting the Aubrae Gunderson Invitational. Brian Robinson does great every year with the Alexander Invitational at Fox Hall. Weekday meets hosted by North Oconee and Athens Academy always have quality competition. There was no stage or live MC for these races. But coaches who want to have their kids race and great competition to go with it.
09/12/2019 11:25:35 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@ParkviewCoachDXC I was saying that both State meets are really well run. This was just a post intended to commend the good job that coaches do on meets.
@ParkviewCoachDXC I was saying that both State meets are really well run.

This was just a post intended to commend the good job that coaches do on meets.
09/12/2019 12:12:00 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@ParkviewCoachDXC Hey pretty sure sinco wasn't being negative - he was saying both ms and high school state meets are run well.
@ParkviewCoachDXC
Hey pretty sure sinco wasn't being negative - he was saying both ms and high school state meets are run well.
09/12/2019 12:14:56 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@tigr When I read "Which then begs the question, what other meets in Georgia qualify for this level of quality? I would vote for both the middle and high school state championships," I read that as these meets *should* reach it but don't. @Sinco - My apology. If you do end up hiring Post Malone to MC at a meet you host, just let me know. We'll attend.
@tigr

When I read "Which then begs the question, what other meets in Georgia qualify for this level of quality? I would vote for both the middle and high school state championships," I read that as these meets *should* reach it but don't.

@Sinco - My apology. If you do end up hiring Post Malone to MC at a meet you host, just let me know. We'll attend.
09/12/2019 1:02:23 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I could add many. I am a fan of most anyone who is willing to take on the task of a cross country meet. But, for one- Brian Cross @ Darlington has done a great job with taking over and keeping the Darlington Festival going. It is a well-run meet, solid course that is spectator friendly and usually a competitive spread that is fit for most programs. It also starts the day with an open race for any coaches who need to remind themselves of what the kids put themselves through week in and week out.
I could add many. I am a fan of most anyone who is willing to take on the task of a cross country meet.

But, for one- Brian Cross @ Darlington has done a great job with taking over and keeping the Darlington Festival going. It is a well-run meet, solid course that is spectator friendly and usually a competitive spread that is fit for most programs. It also starts the day with an open race for any coaches who need to remind themselves of what the kids put themselves through week in and week out.
09/12/2019 9:21:11 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
I have always enjoyed Double Dip and hope it comes back. The t-shirts are usually pretty fun. The posters as awards is pretty cool. Medals are fun, but interesting to shake it up, like getting a baton for an award at a track meet. Any race director who somehow manages to conjure up decently cool temperatures for their races will always be a favorite. Question is, how to put in a good word with the man upstairs to get it to cool off for practice! Anyone have a connection?
I have always enjoyed Double Dip and hope it comes back. The t-shirts are usually pretty fun. The posters as awards is pretty cool. Medals are fun, but interesting to shake it up, like getting a baton for an award at a track meet. Any race director who somehow manages to conjure up decently cool temperatures for their races will always be a favorite. Question is, how to put in a good word with the man upstairs to get it to cool off for practice! Anyone have a connection?
09/13/2019 9:49:32 AM
Coach
RunnersFit Mountain Invite in Helen is incredible. Definitely a favorite of the kids and parents, and great scenic course especially in October. Coach Borg and crew do a great job.
RunnersFit Mountain Invite in Helen is incredible. Definitely a favorite of the kids and parents, and great scenic course especially in October. Coach Borg and crew do a great job.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.