Coach Wood Historically Fast
10/15/2018 9:56:54 PM
User
I know it was on a different course, but it is still crazy how fast this race was, especially on the girl's side. 4 GA girls under 18 in the same race. It happened last year at ASICS but other than that I can't find any other races where that has happened. Edit: I'm not trying to dispute the distance. I trust that McIntosh was a full 5k and that it always has been. I was just wondering if anybody remembered any instances where there have been 4 GA girls go sub 18 in the same race.
I know it was on a different course, but it is still crazy how fast this race was, especially on the girl's side. 4 GA girls under 18 in the same race. It happened last year at ASICS but other than that I can't find any other races where that has happened.
Edit: I'm not trying to dispute the distance. I trust that McIntosh was a full 5k and that it always has been. I was just wondering if anybody remembered any instances where there have been 4 GA girls go sub 18 in the same race.
10/15/2018 11:19:04 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Fastest course in Georgia
Fastest course in Georgia
10/16/2018 7:21:58 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
In case it comes up: the course was measured 4 different times with 2 different wheels, one by me and one by Coach Sexton, our girl's head coach. The wheels only had a difference of about 5 meters. When part of the course was flooded, we were missing about 175m after wheeling the first loop, so we made up the difference by going into the field twice, and extending the finish line. The course was 5,000m on the dot. Based on feedback I received, it seems a lot of coaches and runners liked going into the field instead of staying on the perimeter. If we stay at McIntosh next year, we will do that again! Coach Christie
In case it comes up: the course was measured 4 different times with 2 different wheels, one by me and one by Coach Sexton, our girl's head coach. The wheels only had a difference of about 5 meters. When part of the course was flooded, we were missing about 175m after wheeling the first loop, so we made up the difference by going into the field twice, and extending the finish line. The course was 5,000m on the dot.

Based on feedback I received, it seems a lot of coaches and runners liked going into the field instead of staying on the perimeter. If we stay at McIntosh next year, we will do that again!

Coach Christie
10/16/2018 7:47:04 AM
Power User
Everyone would agree that the weather was the best it has been all season. Those 4 girls were less than 30 seconds away from the times they ran on average as well. It wasn't minute + drops for them. I know our team only had about half our kids PR at Coach Wood. No hills and best weather all year = PR's.
Everyone would agree that the weather was the best it has been all season. Those 4 girls were less than 30 seconds away from the times they ran on average as well. It wasn't minute + drops for them. I know our team only had about half our kids PR at Coach Wood. No hills and best weather all year = PR's.
10/16/2018 8:24:24 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachac I can back coach up on this one, McIntosh has been measured many times. I measure it every year for Blastow. Been having races out there since 2000.
@coachac I can back coach up on this one, McIntosh has been measured many times. I measure it every year for Blastow. Been having races out there since 2000.
10/16/2018 12:03:07 PM
Power User
I will also confirm the distance, with the added horseshoes it made it totally legit. Great job as always Coach Christie.
I will also confirm the distance, with the added horseshoes it made it totally legit. Great job as always Coach Christie.
10/18/2018 12:52:48 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I measured it with GPX (GPS exchange format) and it does not look short. [b]But[/b] -- I did note that our top runners (consistent runners) ran 10-20 seconds faster of their predicted pace. Here I assume that weather (cool and not humid) and flatness must have played some role, not sure how much. I have heard that in the past runners were about 45 seconds on average faster 'than normal' in the same location, maybe because the course was different... curious about that.
I measured it with GPX (GPS exchange format) and it does not look short.

But -- I did note that our top runners (consistent runners) ran 10-20 seconds faster of their predicted pace. Here I assume that weather (cool and not humid) and flatness must have played some role, not sure how much.

I have heard that in the past runners were about 45 seconds on average faster 'than normal' in the same location, maybe because the course was different... curious about that.
10/18/2018 1:34:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Average winning times at Blastow the last 5 years have been 15:34 and 18:23. The average team times for all winning teams were 16:24/19:53 That is 18/34 seconds slower than this years winners and 24/56 seconds slower team times. Considering the temperature and level of competition I’d say the courses ran pretty equal.
Average winning times at Blastow the last 5 years have been 15:34 and 18:23. The average team times for all winning teams were 16:24/19:53 That is 18/34 seconds slower than this years winners and 24/56 seconds slower team times. Considering the temperature and level of competition I'd say the courses ran pretty equal.
10/18/2018 2:05:09 PM
User
Using my methods, I arrive at only a 1 second difference (well within the error of measurement) for Blastow and Coach Wood.
Using my methods, I arrive at only a 1 second difference (well within the error of measurement) for Blastow and Coach Wood.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.