Dunamis Indoor Super Meet - Feb 8-11 at Lakepoint
11/01/2017 11:31:49 AM
Power User
For more information on this event, visit http://www.dunamissupermeet.com/dsm-home-elementor-2/. This will be an amazing 4-day competition showcasing master's, open, college, high school, and youth athletes. The 6-lane, banked, 200-meter Mondo surface is on boards and is "super" fast. Most details are finalized but there are still a few items we are seeking clarity on. Meet management for this event is being handled by the National Scholastic Athletic Foundation (NASF), hosts of the New Balance Championships. USATF Georgia and the Atlanta Track Club are collaborating with NASF to provide support.
For more information on this event, visit http://www.dunamissupermeet.com/dsm-home-elementor-2/. This will be an amazing 4-day competition showcasing master's, open, college, high school, and youth athletes. The 6-lane, banked, 200-meter Mondo surface is on boards and is "super" fast. Most details are finalized but there are still a few items we are seeking clarity on. Meet management for this event is being handled by the National Scholastic Athletic Foundation (NASF), hosts of the New Balance Championships. USATF Georgia and the Atlanta Track Club are collaborating with NASF to provide support.
11/01/2017 12:49:39 PM
Power User
A reminder to all, you cannot compete at this meet as part of your high school team nor can you wear your high school uniform. On p. 92 of the Ghsa constitution it states that schools can compete in one indoor meet provided it is after the start date for practice and before the first date for competition (2/5). This is scheduled for 2/7 I believe. You will have to be unattached or a member of a club. Also note, rule 2.52 g on p. 35, no GHSA coach (staff or community) may be the coach of a club in the same sport if in the last 12 months athletes from that school were in/on the club. So HS coaches, you cannot create a club to get around this one. Unattached is your best bet. The best solution, petition the GHSA for a later start date for track and field or at a minimum, a later start for competitions. Why do spring sports start in January?
A reminder to all, you cannot compete at this meet as part of your high school team nor can you wear your high school uniform. On p. 92 of the Ghsa constitution it states that schools can compete in one indoor meet provided it is after the start date for practice and before the first date for competition (2/5). This is scheduled for 2/7 I believe.

You will have to be unattached or a member of a club.

Also note, rule 2.52 g on p. 35, no GHSA coach (staff or community) may be the coach of a club in the same sport if in the last 12 months athletes from that school were in/on the club.

So HS coaches, you cannot create a club to get around this one.

Unattached is your best bet.

The best solution, petition the GHSA for a later start date for track and field or at a minimum, a later start for competitions. Why do spring sports start in January?
11/01/2017 1:55:25 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@MaristXCcoach What if the coach's association asked for this meet to be sanctioned and count towards the outdoor track meet limit? If it falls during the time frame that is approved to begin track, what would it matter whether the competition was inside or outside? Football teams have played games in the Georgia Dome right? Corky Kell? Seems like the intent of the "indoor" rule was more about not getting high school kids involved as a team into a sport that Georgia chooses not to support at the high school level more than it is about whether races are run outside or inside.... right? This indoor meet might be a really great way to start the season? Usually those first few rust buster meets in February are cold, nasty and often cancelled due to weather. Might get a good, fun effort in with guaranteed good conditions if teams could participate here. Food for thought.
@MaristXCcoach What if the coach's association asked for this meet to be sanctioned and count towards the outdoor track meet limit? If it falls during the time frame that is approved to begin track, what would it matter whether the competition was inside or outside? Football teams have played games in the Georgia Dome right? Corky Kell? Seems like the intent of the "indoor" rule was more about not getting high school kids involved as a team into a sport that Georgia chooses not to support at the high school level more than it is about whether races are run outside or inside.... right?

This indoor meet might be a really great way to start the season?

Usually those first few rust buster meets in February are cold, nasty and often cancelled due to weather. Might get a good, fun effort in with guaranteed good conditions if teams could participate here.

Food for thought.
11/01/2017 2:40:48 PM
Power User
The meet requires you to be a USA TF member to compete. It is a meet for clubs no high schools. There's no chance the GHSA it would sanction it in my opinion nor would I ask them to. Would you ask them to sanction an AAU basketball tournament? Club soccer game?
The meet requires you to be a USA TF member to compete. It is a meet for clubs no high schools.

There's no chance the GHSA it would sanction it in my opinion nor would I ask them to.

Would you ask them to sanction an AAU basketball tournament?

Club soccer game?
11/01/2017 3:20:16 PM
Power User
@MaristXCcoach - thanks for chiming in. We are asking the meet management team to reconsider the USATF requirement. They are wanting to attract GA HS's to the meet, not just club teams; however, we know the USATF membership requirement presents some challenges for HS teams as well. GA HS Coaches - please don't cast your final answer on this meet yet. We are hoping to get some accommodations from GHSA and we are exploring options regarding the USATF requirement. I know some of the GHSA Coaches Association leaders are looking at this to see what approach to take with GHSA.
@MaristXCcoach - thanks for chiming in. We are asking the meet management team to reconsider the USATF requirement. They are wanting to attract GA HS's to the meet, not just club teams; however, we know the USATF membership requirement presents some challenges for HS teams as well.

GA HS Coaches - please don't cast your final answer on this meet yet. We are hoping to get some accommodations from GHSA and we are exploring options regarding the USATF requirement. I know some of the GHSA Coaches Association leaders are looking at this to see what approach to take with GHSA.
11/01/2017 8:26:47 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Doesn’t New Balance require the same? GHSA teams participate in that meet....
Doesn't New Balance require the same? GHSA teams participate in that meet....
11/01/2017 10:12:58 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
As MaristCoach stated, wouldn’t it just be easier to compete unattached? I do hope they can maybe work something out as I will not attend the overcrowded meets at the Crossplex this year.
As MaristCoach stated, wouldn't it just be easier to compete unattached? I do hope they can maybe work something out as I will not attend the overcrowded meets at the Crossplex this year.
11/02/2017 8:17:33 AM
Power User
@trailcat yes, running unattached is an option; just doesn't allow for relays if that is something a team wants to do...
@trailcat yes, running unattached is an option; just doesn't allow for relays if that is something a team wants to do...
11/02/2017 8:34:04 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Bansley2 No, GHSA cannot compete at New Balance. However, GHSA athletes compete representing their club team or unattached.
@Bansley2 No, GHSA cannot compete at New Balance. However, GHSA athletes compete representing their club team or unattached.
11/02/2017 9:43:43 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The panther express aka Parkview does very well at New Balance Nationals
The panther express aka Parkview does very well at New Balance Nationals
11/02/2017 11:16:51 AM
Power User
@Bansley2 Every group that competes in relays (and most individual events) at NBN indoor and outdoor are "club" teams through that attend the same school. Relays cannot be all-star teams, as noted in entry rules. That is why most are named their school name and "track club" even from the other states. If you look at historic results, there are numerous GA "club" teams who have done well as relays/individuals, etc. I personally think it is no different than a travel baseball team that plays for their coach, etc. I am also going to have a discussion on what we (HS coaches/teams) can do to try and include our kids for this meet if they want to compete with the GHSA while I am at Carrolton watching the state XC meet. Limiting an opportunity for kids is not a business I want to be part of, and the GHSA does a thankless job in maintaining integrity as much as it possibly can be for our sports.
@Bansley2

Every group that competes in relays (and most individual events) at NBN indoor and outdoor are "club" teams through that attend the same school. Relays cannot be all-star teams, as noted in entry rules. That is why most are named their school name and "track club" even from the other states.

If you look at historic results, there are numerous GA "club" teams who have done well as relays/individuals, etc.

I personally think it is no different than a travel baseball team that plays for their coach, etc.

I am also going to have a discussion on what we (HS coaches/teams) can do to try and include our kids for this meet if they want to compete with the GHSA while I am at Carrolton watching the state XC meet.

Limiting an opportunity for kids is not a business I want to be part of, and the GHSA does a thankless job in maintaining integrity as much as it possibly can be for our sports.
11/02/2017 11:28:27 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@ParkviewTrack Couldn’t the same be applied for this meet?
@ParkviewTrack
Couldn't the same be applied for this meet?
11/03/2017 10:40:53 AM
Power User
@Bansley2 there has been a brief discussion on this with the GHSA. The coaches association has made a request of the meet management regarding high school entries and hopes to have a positive response. If so, we will be submitting a proposal/request to the GHSA early next week regarding high school teams for this meet. Stay tuned.
@Bansley2 there has been a brief discussion on this with the GHSA. The coaches association has made a request of the meet management regarding high school entries and hopes to have a positive response. If so, we will be submitting a proposal/request to the GHSA early next week regarding high school teams for this meet. Stay tuned.
11/08/2017 2:48:09 PM
Coach
You also have an issue with the high school event schedule as GHSA prohibits competition on Sundays and some of the finals for the high school events are scheduled then.
You also have an issue with the high school event schedule as GHSA prohibits competition on Sundays and some of the finals for the high school events are scheduled then.
12/01/2017 11:08:43 AM
Coach
8-)Any updates?
Any updates?
12/01/2017 8:56:47 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@coachwill.flosports http://www.nationalscholastic.org/article/2197
@coachwill.flosports http://www.nationalscholastic.org/article/2197

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.