Multi-Events and the GHSA
02/25/2016 9:26:31 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
If a school wanted to contest the Decathlon/Heptathlon in the state of Georgia -- would that be allowed per GHSA?
If a school wanted to contest the Decathlon/Heptathlon in the state of Georgia -- would that be allowed per GHSA?
02/25/2016 9:43:39 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@Bansley2 I think the only issue would be the javelin (not a GHSA listed event) so that may impact getting a sanction from them....otherwise I dont see an issue (but just my opinion).
@Bansley2
I think the only issue would be the javelin (not a GHSA listed event) so that may impact getting a sanction from them....otherwise I dont see an issue (but just my opinion).
02/25/2016 1:50:00 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@acarr6453 Is there any literature in the GHSA handbook that says the javelin isn't allowed to be contested?
@acarr6453

Is there any literature in the GHSA handbook that says the javelin isn't allowed to be contested?
02/25/2016 2:24:00 PM
User
I think the biggest thing would be that it would have to take place somewhere other than the main track. Some schools have separate areas for the shot and discus, and I think this would have to be the same thing...maybe on a football or soccer practice field. Safety would be the biggest thing here.
I think the biggest thing would be that it would have to take place somewhere other than the main track. Some schools have separate areas for the shot and discus, and I think this would have to be the same thing...maybe on a football or soccer practice field. Safety would be the biggest thing here.
02/25/2016 2:26:15 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Bansley2 Here's the GHSA constitution and by-laws: http://www.ghsa.net/sites/default/files/documents/Constitution/Constitution2015-16Complete.pdf Track and Field starts on page 91. I just took a quick look and didn't see anything that would prohibit it. But my guess is that's because it's never come up. Schools have to get approved to host pole vault, since it's a potentially dangerous sport, so I'm guessing if they got wind of this they might do the same with Javelin too. I haven't personally filled out a sanction request form for a track meet in a long time, so I don't remember if it has anything on there listing the events contested or not. I don't remember that being the case though.
@Bansley2

Here's the GHSA constitution and by-laws:

http://www.ghsa.net/sites/default/files/documents/Constitution/Constitution2015-16Complete.pdf

Track and Field starts on page 91. I just took a quick look and didn't see anything that would prohibit it. But my guess is that's because it's never come up. Schools have to get approved to host pole vault, since it's a potentially dangerous sport, so I'm guessing if they got wind of this they might do the same with Javelin too. I haven't personally filled out a sanction request form for a track meet in a long time, so I don't remember if it has anything on there listing the events contested or not. I don't remember that being the case though.
02/26/2016 4:01:21 PM
User
You'd probably hit the GHSA event limit before you are 1/3 the way there. GHSA only allows only an athlete to compete in 3 individual events in any one meet. (And I'm pretty sure GHSA would take a dim view of calling the decathalon a "single event".) But you could have a triathalon! (Or a decathalon spread over 4 meets).
You'd probably hit the GHSA event limit before you are 1/3 the way there. GHSA only allows only an athlete to compete in 3 individual events in any one meet.

(And I'm pretty sure GHSA would take a dim view of calling the decathalon a "single event".)

But you could have a triathalon! (Or a decathalon spread over 4 meets).
02/26/2016 4:19:49 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Not sure how we got away with it, but my senior year I ran in every single event at a 4-way meet back in 2010. I do know there was concern with hitting the event limit then as well. My guess is GHSA wouldn't rule favorably on it, unless it was a two day meet. http://ga.milesplit.com/athletes/162124-enrique-tomas#.VtDA_vkrKUk
Not sure how we got away with it, but my senior year I ran in every single event at a 4-way meet back in 2010. I do know there was concern with hitting the event limit then as well. My guess is GHSA wouldn't rule favorably on it, unless it was a two day meet.
http://ga.milesplit.com/athletes/162124-enrique-tomas#.VtDA_vkrKUk

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.