The 2018 Atlanta Classic
Hosted by Chapel Hill High School
Important Update Posted 10/10/18 at 10:40 AM:
Hello Coaches -
It's race week for The AtlantaClassic and we're excited about a great Saturday of racing. The nasty weather is supposed to clear out after Thursday, and it's looking like we've finally got some great cross country temperatures in store, with a low of 52 degrees forecast!
Here are a couple of important notes:
1) Please make sure your entries are in by 9:59 PM tonight (Wednesday) via Milesplit.
2) Note this will be a 5k event versus 3-miles as published earlier.
3) With the hurricane coming through the Florida panhandle and SW Georgia, we've had some late requests from teams who are facing cancelled meets down there and who are looking for a place to run. We've decided to add one additional boys varsity race to the schedule to accommodate some additional entries, as our starting line at Clinton Nature Preserve won't hold more than about 30 teams. As such, our revised schedule is as follows:
7:40 Girls JV Purple
8:15 Boys JV Purple
8:45 Girls Championship
9:20 Boys Championship
9:45 Boys Varsity
10:15 Girls JV Black
10:50 Boys JV Black
Because of the added time to the schedule, we will forgo the awards ceremony, and distribute medals in the finish chute to those who earn them, and also award Varsity team trophies in the tent area shortly after conclusion of the Championship races. This should get everyone on the road home as quickly as possible.
Action item needed from you: if you've not already done so, please send an e-mail indicating which of the two JV races (Purple = early and Black = late) you'd like to run in. There's not intended to be a difference in the quality of the two races, we just have one early and one late to accommodate different travel schedules.
Team assignments between Boys Championship and Boys Varsity will be made later today and posted here. If you prefer one versus the other, please let us know and we'll accommodate.
Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday morning. In the meantime, if you have any questions please send an e-mail to Ronnie Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org) or to Kelly Williams at email@example.com.
IMPORTANT! Meet management has decided that this will be run as a 5k instead of the previously advertised 3-Mile distance. Sorry for the confusion.
NOTE UPDATED SCHEDULE POSTED ABOVE!
Girls JV Purple 7:30
Boys JV Purple 8:10
Girls Varsity 8:45
Boys Varsity 9:25
Girls JV Black 10:00
Boys JV Black 10:40
Estimated Start Time: 11:15 AM
Top 2 Boys and Girls Varsity teams will receive trophies
JV Races will be team-scored but there will be no team trophies
In all 6 races, medals will be awarded to the Top 8 finishers (48 medals in total)
Varsity Boys & Girls Individual winners will receive a Dry-Fit T-Shirt
Please note that race entries close on Wednesday 10/10 at 9:59 PM!!
All athletes should be entered through the Milesplit entry portal, accessed through our Meet Homepage on the Calendar. It is not necessary to assign athletes to the individual races, just ensure that your entire roster is entered. Each athlete will receive a shoe chip and a bib number, and you decide on race morning which event youd like to have your runners compete in (but please run only in those races which youve previously indicated youd run in via communication with the Meet Director).
Varsity Races: in general we request that you limit your entries here to 7 athletes per race. If you'd like to run as many as 10 athletes, that is permissible, but you must declare 7 athletes for team scoring purposes. If you plan to run more than 7 athletes, please send a list of your "scoring 7" via e-mail to Ronnie Brown (e-mail address below)
JV Purple vs JV Black Races: there is not intended to be a difference in the quality of the two groups of races. We simply have one set of races early and one set late to accommodate different travel schedules. While we'll do our best to fit you in to your desired races, we may find it necessary to limit field sizes for the safety of the runners. If that happens, we will let you know as soon as possible (before race day of course).
Timing and Results
The Perfect Timing Group will handle results and scoring. Each athlete will be assigned a shoe chip and each athlete's name and time will appear in the official results for their race. Please note the following:
1) Bib numbers must match the chip numbers for each athlete.
2) Use the provided zip-ties to secure chips to EITHER shoe. We will remove the chips in the finish chute with scissors, and attaching the chip to shoelaces means well have to cut shoelaces!
3) VERY IMPORTANT please return ALL your team chips to the Timers at the finish line before leaving. There is a $20 fee for each un-returned chip.
4) With single-chip scoring, opportunities exist for an athletes place as determined using a torso finish to differ from the place based on the shoe-chip reading (i.e., in a very close finish where a FAT camera has to be used to determine the proper order of finish). In our Championship events, we ask coaches to review the results as soon as they are posted and to make the timer aware of any instances where team PLACES might be affected by an improper ordering of two athletes. We will review issues involving the Top 2 team places immediately (inasmuch as awards are in play), and will attempt to review other requests after completion of the meet. Please use discretion here, understanding that the beauty of chip timing is in its efficiency and the fact that it allows us to complete the races and results-compilation very quickly.
5) We will use traditional scoring for team results. In some case, schools will have more than 7 athletes in the Varsity races, and in those cases we will ask those schools to declare which of their 7 athletes should be counted for scoring. Every effort will be made to insure that the results reflect the properly scored athletes, but the Coaches efforts are appreciated in timely reviewing results to note any discrepancies.
Race Packet Pick-up and Check-in
The packet pick-up table will be adjacent to the finish line area.
Meet Starter and Referee
We're honored to have Mr. Freddy Allen again this year as our official starter and meet referee.
The course consists of two loops of roughly 1.5 miles each. While there are small rolling hills throughout, the only "uncomfortable" hill is at the roughly 1.3 and 2.7 mile marks (i.e., once on each loop). This is a gradual incline of about 150 meters. Once crested on the 2nd loop, runners have a nice 180 meter downhill stretch to the finish.
The course has a variety of grass, dirt, sand and loose gravel. No asphalt or concrete road crossings! Racing spikes are entirely appropriate.
Sedentary spectators will view runners at the start, half-way and finish. Spectators who don't mind being a little mobile can also get nice views of athletes at 1,200 meters and 3,600 meters, the latter of which offers plenty of time to get back to the finish before athletes arrive.
Posted by Wednesday, October 10th.
Split times will be called at both the 1 and 2 mile marks.
The course will be open at 2 pm on Friday for preview.
There is a parking fee of $5 per vehicle. Vehicles carrying only coaches or athletes do not pay this fee. However, if a parent is transporting athletes with an intent to stay at the meet, that parent will be asked to pay the fee. Wed appreciate it if you could pass this information along to your parents ahead of time. Car pooling is encouraged!
The main area for tents will be in a large open field adjacent to the start/finish field
Results will be posted on the fence behind the starting line for all 6 races as soon as possible after the completion of each event. Results will be posted on Milesplit.com on Saturday afternoon.
Varsity Boys AND Girls Teams - $140
Varsity Boys OR Girls Teams - $80
JV Boys AND Girls - $100
JV Boys OR Girls - $60
Maximum Fee per school $180 (unlimited athletes)
Make checks payable to:
Chapel Hill High School
Attn: Kelly Williams
4899 Chapel Hill Rd.
Douglasville, GA 30135
Directions to Clinton Nature Preserve
Take I-20 to Post Road (Exit 30).
Go south (left turn if traveling west-bound from Atlanta) about 1 mile to Ephesus Church Rd.
Turn Right on Ephesus Church Rd. and Clinton Nature Preserve will be about 1 and 1/2 miles on the right.
Requests for additional information should be e-mailed to kelly williams at firstname.lastname@example.org
- No discussions yet. Be the first!