Article Comment: Who Has Cross Country Tradition?
06/28/2011 10:51:47 PM
User
is there one of these for track on its way
is there one of these for track on its way
06/29/2011 12:10:49 AM
Admin
@awestxc I would love to do one of these for track and field, but there is an enormous time investment involved in going to the library microfilms sections, dumping lots of quarters in the parking meter, scanning old newspapers, collecting all of the data, and then typing it out. All of that has to happen before anything like this article ever appears. And cross country is relatively easy compared to track and field. Cross country has only one event. I suspect I could find, with enough time, team scores for state track and field meets quite a ways back. How far back? I'm not sure, but probably farther than my own level of interest would carry me. 1977 made a natural break point for cross country because the sport went to three mile races that year. I told myself when I got that far back, I would let it go (and it was a great relief to be done). Track has no natural break points like that--it's been essentially the same sport for a long, long time. A few things that are especially annoying in doing this kind of research are when the newspaper you are using to research the results didn't cover the meet for a particular year, when the meet coverage/results is very poorly reproduced in the microfilm, or when names are hopelessly garbled (happened a lot more back in the day when things were all transcribed by hand). I guess genealogists deal with all that on a regular basis, and they have my sympathy :-). If I lived in Denver, some of this would be easier as the Colorado Springs library doesn't have Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News microfilms going very far back. I had to rely mostly on the Colorado Springs papers, and that became plenty challenging once I got as far back as the early 80s. High school sports coverage wasn't very even back then. Football was covered pretty well, but not the less glamorous fall sports. Anyhow, the short answer to your question is that you probably won't see something like this for track and field.
@awestxc

I would love to do one of these for track and field, but there is an enormous time investment involved in going to the library microfilms sections, dumping lots of quarters in the parking meter, scanning old newspapers, collecting all of the data, and then typing it out. All of that has to happen before anything like this article ever appears. And cross country is relatively easy compared to track and field. Cross country has only one event.

I suspect I could find, with enough time, team scores for state track and field meets quite a ways back. How far back? I'm not sure, but probably farther than my own level of interest would carry me. 1977 made a natural break point for cross country because the sport went to three mile races that year. I told myself when I got that far back, I would let it go (and it was a great relief to be done). Track has no natural break points like that--it's been essentially the same sport for a long, long time.

A few things that are especially annoying in doing this kind of research are when the newspaper you are using to research the results didn't cover the meet for a particular year, when the meet coverage/results is very poorly reproduced in the microfilm, or when names are hopelessly garbled (happened a lot more back in the day when things were all transcribed by hand). I guess genealogists deal with all that on a regular basis, and they have my sympathy .

If I lived in Denver, some of this would be easier as the Colorado Springs library doesn't have Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News microfilms going very far back. I had to rely mostly on the Colorado Springs papers, and that became plenty challenging once I got as far back as the early 80s. High school sports coverage wasn't very even back then. Football was covered pretty well, but not the less glamorous fall sports.

Anyhow, the short answer to your question is that you probably won't see something like this for track and field.
06/29/2011 7:40:57 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachVersaw CHSAA has all of the results published in their annual bulletins and archived at their office. I went there a few years ago to pull placers from University. They went back to the 1950's with reliable records. It only took me a few hours to look through the data. Maybe someone in the Denver area would be willing to look through CHSAA's archives and compile a track list. The early years are easy because there was one then only two classifications for the longest time.
@CoachVersaw
CHSAA has all of the results published in their annual bulletins and archived at their office. I went there a few years ago to pull placers from University. They went back to the 1950's with reliable records. It only took me a few hours to look through the data. Maybe someone in the Denver area would be willing to look through CHSAA's archives and compile a track list. The early years are easy because there was one then only two classifications for the longest time.
06/30/2011 11:45:52 AM
User
I am hoping that with the mine opening back up in Ladville the yellow & purple of Lake County will experience a re-birth in their community, most importantly the strong traditions they have in their athletics!
I am hoping that with the mine opening back up in Ladville the yellow & purple of Lake County will experience a re-birth in their community, most importantly the strong traditions they have in their athletics!
06/30/2011 5:19:09 PM
User
I was browsing the state cross country meet program and i didn't know if you saw this but they have a list for every high school of state champions, all state, top 5 team performances, and team championships for every high school in Colorado
I was browsing the state cross country meet program and i didn't know if you saw this but they have a list for every high school of state champions, all state, top 5 team performances, and team championships for every high school in Colorado
06/30/2011 7:52:47 PM
Admin
[quote=awestxc]I was browsing the state cross country meet program and i didn't know if you saw this but they have a list for every high school of state champions, all state, top 5 team performances, and team championships for every high school in Colorado[/quote] @awestxc I didn't get a program this last year, but I do know what you're referring to. Unfortunately, at least in the past, there have been fairly frequent omissions on those lists. I can imagine it was fairly painful to compile those lists and so omissions aren't all that surprising. Still, it's fun to look at the resumes for each school and get a little glimpse what their history in cross country is like.
awestxc wrote:

@awestxc

I didn't get a program this last year, but I do know what you're referring to. Unfortunately, at least in the past, there have been fairly frequent omissions on those lists. I can imagine it was fairly painful to compile those lists and so omissions aren't all that surprising. Still, it's fun to look at the resumes for each school and get a little glimpse what their history in cross country is like.
06/30/2011 8:00:11 PM
Admin
[quote=danbetz]@CoachVersaw CHSAA has all of the results published in their annual bulletins and archived at their office. I went there a few years ago to pull placers from University. They went back to the 1950's with reliable records. It only took me a few hours to look through the data. Maybe someone in the Denver area would be willing to look through CHSAA's archives and compile a track list. The early years are easy because there was one then only two classifications for the longest time.[/quote] @danbetz Okay, if it's that easy, I might tackle it someday, but not this summer. And it won't include event-by-event analysis either 8-I. It would be very interesting to see a compilation of event state champions by school, but somebody is going to have to have [b]way[/b] more time on their hands than I do before any of us will ever see that.
danbetz wrote:
@CoachVersaw
CHSAA has all of the results published in their annual bulletins and archived at their office. I went there a few years ago to pull placers from University. They went back to the 1950's with reliable records. It only took me a few hours to look through the data. Maybe someone in the Denver area would be willing to look through CHSAA's archives and compile a track list. The early years are easy because there was one then only two classifications for the longest time.

@danbetz

Okay, if it's that easy, I might tackle it someday, but not this summer. And it won't include event-by-event analysis either .

It would be very interesting to see a compilation of event state champions by school, but somebody is going to have to have way more time on their hands than I do before any of us will ever see that.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.