Questions about track season
12/07/2020 2:49:03 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
I thought I would start a thread for anybody to ask general questions and for some meet directors and/or those in the know to answer. Also, just some things for some meet directors to think about in terms of hosting. Here are some thoughts/questions I have: 1. Are most meet directors now going to begin including the 4x800 and 4x200 (we get 4x200 next year) since they're about to both be a part of our championship season? 2. Will most meets now start allowing 3 individual entries per team since that's what we get at region and beyond? Will we be limited to just one relay team? 3. What will the meet order be for this year with the 4x8 and next year with the 4x2 as well? 4. When will we get the state meet schedule posted on GHSA's website? 5. What are people thinking for Covid restrictions this spring? Anything in addition to what we did in XC?
I thought I would start a thread for anybody to ask general questions and for some meet directors and/or those in the know to answer. Also, just some things for some meet directors to think about in terms of hosting. Here are some thoughts/questions I have:

1. Are most meet directors now going to begin including the 4x800 and 4x200 (we get 4x200 next year) since they're about to both be a part of our championship season?

2. Will most meets now start allowing 3 individual entries per team since that's what we get at region and beyond? Will we be limited to just one relay team?

3. What will the meet order be for this year with the 4x8 and next year with the 4x2 as well?

4. When will we get the state meet schedule posted on GHSA's website?

5. What are people thinking for Covid restrictions this spring? Anything in addition to what we did in XC?
12/07/2020 4:47:09 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=spxcoachrm]I thought I would start a thread for anybody to ask general questions and for some meet directors and/or those in the know to answer. Also, just some things for some meet directors to think about in terms of hosting. Here are some thoughts/questions I have: 1. Are most meet directors now going to begin including the 4x800 and 4x200 (we get 4x200 next year) since they're about to both be a part of our championship season? [b]At our home meets we will.[/b] 2. Will most meets now start allowing 3 individual entries per team since that's what we get at region and beyond? Will we be limited to just one relay team? [b]At our invitationals we will.[/b] 3. What will the meet order be for this year with the 4x8 and next year with the 4x2 as well? Still looking at this. [b]It may depend on the meet (Saturday vs weeknight)[/b] 4. When will we get the state meet schedule posted on GHSA's website? [b]Very soon[/b] 5. What are people thinking for Covid restrictions this spring? Anything in addition to what we did in XC?[/quote][b]One thing I am considering is creating packets for each team that includes the hip numbers with the athlete's name, event and heat number written on them. It will be on the coaches to make sure that the athletes are given the correct hip number. It would eliminate our clerks being in contact with so many different people.[/b]
spxcoachrm wrote:
I thought I would start a thread for anybody to ask general questions and for some meet directors and/or those in the know to answer. Also, just some things for some meet directors to think about in terms of hosting. Here are some thoughts/questions I have:

1. Are most meet directors now going to begin including the 4x800 and 4x200 (we get 4x200 next year) since they're about to both be a part of our championship season? At our home meets we will.

2. Will most meets now start allowing 3 individual entries per team since that's what we get at region and beyond? Will we be limited to just one relay team? At our invitationals we will.

3. What will the meet order be for this year with the 4x8 and next year with the 4x2 as well? Still looking at this. It may depend on the meet (Saturday vs weeknight)

4. When will we get the state meet schedule posted on GHSA's website? Very soon

5. What are people thinking for Covid restrictions this spring? Anything in addition to what we did in XC?
One thing I am considering is creating packets for each team that includes the hip numbers with the athlete's name, event and heat number written on them. It will be on the coaches to make sure that the athletes are given the correct hip number. It would eliminate our clerks being in contact with so many different people.
12/08/2020 12:07:32 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
We will include the 4 X 800 at our meets and coaches will receive all of the hip numbers for their athletes when they arrive at the meet.
We will include the 4 X 800 at our meets and coaches will receive all of the hip numbers for their athletes when they arrive at the meet.
12/08/2020 7:52:32 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Regarding the 4x800 this year. On GHSA.net the sectional meet schedule lists it as the first event of the afternoon track races with the 1600 in it's normal morning spot. Not much of a change so no big deal. I guess it could be pulled off as a 16 team finals only event at the start of the state schedule on Saturday. That would seem to make sense. Anyone have info?
Regarding the 4x800 this year. On GHSA.net the sectional meet schedule lists it as the first event of the afternoon track races with the 1600 in it's normal morning spot. Not much of a change so no big deal. I guess it could be pulled off as a 16 team finals only event at the start of the state schedule on Saturday. That would seem to make sense. Anyone have info?
12/09/2020 7:47:22 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=LassiterCoach]Regarding the 4x800 this year. On GHSA.net the sectional meet schedule lists it as the first event of the afternoon track races with the 1600 in it's normal morning spot. Not much of a change so no big deal.[/quote] Curious as to why the NFHS order of events isn't being used? Not saying that's a good or bad thing. But, the most recent proposal aligns us with NFHS events, entry limits, etc. Why not go with NFHS order of events also?
LassiterCoach wrote:
Regarding the 4x800 this year. On GHSA.net the sectional meet schedule lists it as the first event of the afternoon track races with the 1600 in it's normal morning spot. Not much of a change so no big deal.

Curious as to why the NFHS order of events isn't being used? Not saying that's a good or bad thing. But, the most recent proposal aligns us with NFHS events, entry limits, etc. Why not go with NFHS order of events also?
12/09/2020 8:26:54 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@GACARTER Agreed. Why are we not switching to the NFHS order of events? 4x800 100/110m hurdles 100m 4x200m (not necessary until 2021) 1600m 4x100m 400m 300m hurdles 800m 200m 3200m 4x400m Seems to me like it allows plenty of rest for the usual individual doubles, allows those athletes to participate in 2 of the relays, and even allows for triples from some studs - like the 100/400/200 now that kids aren't limited to just one individual event. I could even see a couple of individual quadruples if an athlete is good enough. The 110H, 100, 300H, 200 quadruple seems difficult, but possible for a truly elite athlete.
@GACARTER

Agreed. Why are we not switching to the NFHS order of events?

4x800
100/110m hurdles
100m
4x200m (not necessary until 2021)
1600m
4x100m
400m
300m hurdles
800m
200m
3200m
4x400m

Seems to me like it allows plenty of rest for the usual individual doubles, allows those athletes to participate in 2 of the relays, and even allows for triples from some studs - like the 100/400/200 now that kids aren't limited to just one individual event. I could even see a couple of individual quadruples if an athlete is good enough. The 110H, 100, 300H, 200 quadruple seems difficult, but possible for a truly elite athlete.
12/09/2020 8:55:31 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
The 400/800 double is eliminated in my mind if the only thing separating them is the 300 hurdles. That is still a very highly ran double.
The 400/800 double is eliminated in my mind if the only thing separating them is the 300 hurdles. That is still a very highly ran double.
12/09/2020 9:54:56 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I'm not sure the 400-800 double is any more common than any other double, really. Some event combos are going to be easier & some harder, no matter what schedule is used. I'm not necessarily saying that one schedule is better or worse. I just don't see a compelling reason not to go with NFHS order of events if we're going NFHS with entry limits, events, etc. I've never subscribed to the idea that we have to do things differently because Georgia, or even individual schools within Georgia, is so different than everybody else. I think it'd add excitement to the sport to see some elite athletes pull off some of the doubles (and triples & quadruples) mentioned by Coach McClay.
I'm not sure the 400-800 double is any more common than any other double, really. Some event combos are going to be easier & some harder, no matter what schedule is used. I'm not necessarily saying that one schedule is better or worse. I just don't see a compelling reason not to go with NFHS order of events if we're going NFHS with entry limits, events, etc. I've never subscribed to the idea that we have to do things differently because Georgia, or even individual schools within Georgia, is so different than everybody else.

I think it'd add excitement to the sport to see some elite athletes pull off some of the doubles (and triples & quadruples) mentioned by Coach McClay.
12/09/2020 10:07:03 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@xcnewbee You're probably right, although that double is far less common than the 16/8, 16/32, 1/2, and 2/4 which are all very doable still. It also eliminates the 400/300 hurdles double as well, though that one is far less common. But what it does is allow those 400/800 kids the opportunity to do the 4x8, 400 or 800, and 4x4 with plenty of rest in between. A more ambitious runner could possibly attempt to do the 4x200 as well. I know it's not perfect for every single athlete's needs. But generally speaking what I like about it is that it provides basically every athlete (and coach) with a variety of options. I'm sure some trends will emerge, but I think we will see much more variety in what our athletes do by going to the NFHS schedule versus sticking to the current schedule and just throwing in the 4x8 and 4x2 somewhere random. I love the idea of having to strategize as a head coach and think through the best possible combinations for all. The other thing I like about this is that it seems much more team oriented with four relays instead of two. Makes it easier for a deeper team to compete for the win over a team that has just 1-2 studs. The four event limit also helps with that.
@xcnewbee

You're probably right, although that double is far less common than the 16/8, 16/32, 1/2, and 2/4 which are all very doable still. It also eliminates the 400/300 hurdles double as well, though that one is far less common. But what it does is allow those 400/800 kids the opportunity to do the 4x8, 400 or 800, and 4x4 with plenty of rest in between. A more ambitious runner could possibly attempt to do the 4x200 as well.

I know it's not perfect for every single athlete's needs. But generally speaking what I like about it is that it provides basically every athlete (and coach) with a variety of options. I'm sure some trends will emerge, but I think we will see much more variety in what our athletes do by going to the NFHS schedule versus sticking to the current schedule and just throwing in the 4x8 and 4x2 somewhere random. I love the idea of having to strategize as a head coach and think through the best possible combinations for all.

The other thing I like about this is that it seems much more team oriented with four relays instead of two. Makes it easier for a deeper team to compete for the win over a team that has just 1-2 studs. The four event limit also helps with that.
12/09/2020 1:21:22 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I've seen many more doubles for the 400 and 300 hurdles as of late. So, this new order of events would effectively eliminate that.
I've seen many more doubles for the 400 and 300 hurdles as of late. So, this new order of events would effectively eliminate that.
12/09/2020 9:09:03 PM
Coach
Probably an obvious question, but will all 3 entries from a school be eligible to score at invitationals and Region/State? If Prefontaine High has the 1st, 2nd and 5th place runners in the 3200 will that team get 22 points? I could look this up, I'm sorry, but just thought y'all would know quickly!
Probably an obvious question, but will all 3 entries from a school be eligible to score at invitationals and Region/State? If Prefontaine High has the 1st, 2nd and 5th place runners in the 3200 will that team get 22 points? I could look this up, I'm sorry, but just thought y'all would know quickly!
12/10/2020 10:34:25 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
I think this format allows for an individual athlete to have a greater impact on team scoring than the previous one. One athlete can now score 40 points without any assistance (team mates running the other legs of a relay) where before the limit was 30. Roby Ross Trinity Christian School
I think this format allows for an individual athlete to have a greater impact on team scoring than the previous one. One athlete can now score 40 points without any assistance (team mates running the other legs of a relay) where before the limit was 30.

Roby Ross
Trinity Christian School
12/10/2020 4:14:09 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachHoughton Yep. All three can score.
@CoachHoughton Yep. All three can score.
12/14/2020 9:09:43 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Have there been any concerns or suggestions about multiple athletes landing on Hj/PV mats.. Baton use??? Thanks so much.. Merry Christmas
Have there been any concerns or suggestions about multiple athletes landing on Hj/PV mats.. Baton use??? Thanks so much.. Merry Christmas
12/15/2020 11:51:33 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@BranchTFXC Not that I've seen. Would be good to see some guidelines on that, clerk/check in, sharing implements, medical tent procedures, etc. I don't see any guidelines yet on GHSA website. If they do put some out, I'd expect them to be pretty broad (similar to XC guidelines). Maybe the Coaches Association can put some specific guidelines out there for meet directors & coaches? I noticed that the T & F section of the GHSA website has several links to GATFXCCA's website. So, maybe they're working together on some stuff for us.
@BranchTFXC Not that I've seen. Would be good to see some guidelines on that, clerk/check in, sharing implements, medical tent procedures, etc. I don't see any guidelines yet on GHSA website. If they do put some out, I'd expect them to be pretty broad (similar to XC guidelines). Maybe the Coaches Association can put some specific guidelines out there for meet directors & coaches? I noticed that the T & F section of the GHSA website has several links to GATFXCCA's website. So, maybe they're working together on some stuff for us.
12/15/2020 8:42:03 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@BranchTFXC Virus risk is a function of exposure x time. Exposure can be limited by maybe spraying Lysol on the mat b/t competitors and having kids sanitize hands frequently b/t events (nothing you can do within an event) - efficiently getting kids to the line and off the mat can help with time. I don’t think either surface is conducive to spread if other mitigation is in place. Nothing is perfect and I guess GHSA’s risk tolerance is pretty high based on the fact wrestling season is still going......
@BranchTFXC

Virus risk is a function of exposure x time. Exposure can be limited by maybe spraying Lysol on the mat b/t competitors and having kids sanitize hands frequently b/t events (nothing you can do within an event) - efficiently getting kids to the line and off the mat can help with time. I don't think either surface is conducive to spread if other mitigation is in place. Nothing is perfect and I guess GHSA's risk tolerance is pretty high based on the fact wrestling season is still going......
12/16/2020 7:35:39 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@BillATC Great point. I have no idea how wrestling is a thing this year.
@BillATC

Great point. I have no idea how wrestling is a thing this year.
01/02/2021 6:28:07 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Question about the 4 x 800 at state. Will the prelims at state be on alternating days with the prelims for the individual 800? Perhaps in a way that's similar to the 1600 and 3200.
Question about the 4 x 800 at state.

Will the prelims at state be on alternating days with the prelims for the individual 800? Perhaps in a way that's similar to the 1600 and 3200.
01/03/2021 10:22:12 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@mms72 It's my understanding that the 4 x 800 will be a final, with no prelims.
@mms72

It's my understanding that the 4 x 800 will be a final, with no prelims.
01/03/2021 2:50:07 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@coachac 2 heat timed final or will they try to stick 16 teams out on the track at the same time?
@coachac

2 heat timed final or will they try to stick 16 teams out on the track at the same time?

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.