What were the Highlights of the 2020 GHSA XC State Meet That Stood Out?
11/09/2020 7:04:30 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Please comment here and wax on. I know Miller's race was incredible, how about the unsung heroes and teams that overcame challenges?
Please comment here and wax on. I know Miller's race was incredible, how about the unsung heroes and teams that overcame challenges?
11/09/2020 7:45:09 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Being in the 6A class, these two stood out to me. South Effingham's freshmen Tyler Phillips finishing 4th in 16:51 in the hottest race of the weekend! Also, Grovetown's Nasrudin Mohamed finishing 11th while ranked 55th (16:57 PR) was super impressive as well!
Being in the 6A class, these two stood out to me.

South Effingham's freshmen Tyler Phillips finishing 4th in 16:51 in the hottest race of the weekend!

Also, Grovetown's Nasrudin Mohamed finishing 11th while ranked 55th (16:57 PR) was super impressive as well!
11/09/2020 10:26:19 AM
Coach
I thought the unexpected rain on Saturday was pretty epic. Added an element of surprise to the races.
I thought the unexpected rain on Saturday was pretty epic. Added an element of surprise to the races.
11/09/2020 1:49:21 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Norcross boys & Marietta's girls bouncing back well after being beaten at region. Cambridge boy's LESS THAN 6-second spread among their top-5 and scoring over 100 points and still winning! BT vs Pius in 5A girls & Pius vs Decatur in 5A boys- best team races/battles of the day and fun to watch and try to score as a fan. Makena Gates-no words, by herself, hot-dry conditions, fastest time of the meet Marietta sweep in 7A-CONGRATS Coach Coleman & staff, historic wins & to also sweep at state?? #Legendary PS-Feel good about my list as Coach McClay's article that came out 24hrs after I posted this, touched on EACH of these incredible moments. 2020 did not disappoint. Great article Coach McClay.
Norcross boys & Marietta's girls bouncing back well after being beaten at region.

Cambridge boy's LESS THAN 6-second spread among their top-5 and scoring over 100 points and still winning!

BT vs Pius in 5A girls & Pius vs Decatur in 5A boys- best team races/battles of the day and fun to watch and try to score as a fan.

Makena Gates-no words, by herself, hot-dry conditions, fastest time of the meet

Marietta sweep in 7A-CONGRATS Coach Coleman & staff, historic wins & to also sweep at state?? #Legendary

PS-Feel good about my list as Coach McClay's article that came out 24hrs after I posted this, touched on EACH of these incredible moments. 2020 did not disappoint. Great article Coach McClay.
11/10/2020 11:42:32 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Two things that stood out to me. I think this year we saw so many non-metro Atlanta teams and individuals win state championships and place in the top 10 of every single race. More than any in recent years. Chestatee winning their first state title in school history was incredible, along with all the other things everyone else has already mentioned.
Two things that stood out to me.

I think this year we saw so many non-metro Atlanta teams and individuals win state championships and place in the top 10 of every single race. More than any in recent years.

Chestatee winning their first state title in school history was incredible, along with all the other things everyone else has already mentioned.
11/26/2020 4:02:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@xcnewbee Cailin Howard from South Effingham finished 5th right behind Tyler Phillips 4th. These two have been doing their job all season. Second in State has put fire in the whole the Teams' motivation for next year.
@xcnewbee
Cailin Howard from South Effingham finished 5th right behind Tyler Phillips 4th. These two have been doing their job all season. Second in State has put fire in the whole the Teams' motivation for next year.
12/01/2020 7:47:59 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
From the GHSA Board of Trustees Meeting: "Kevin Giddens then praised the staff at Carrollton High School for the recent state Cross Country finals, and said that certain Covid modifications, like a staggered starting line and photo-friendly awards ceremonies, would likely carry over even after the pandemic."
From the GHSA Board of Trustees Meeting:

"Kevin Giddens then praised the staff at Carrollton High School for the recent state Cross Country finals, and said that certain Covid modifications, like a staggered starting line and photo-friendly awards ceremonies, would likely carry over even after the pandemic."
12/01/2020 3:07:49 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@RobtheAggie If somebody could explain to me how the awards this year were more photo friendly than previous years or why exactly a staggered start is needed in a non Covid year, I would love to see the rationale. I do not follow the logic in that statement.
@RobtheAggie

If somebody could explain to me how the awards this year were more photo friendly than previous years or why exactly a staggered start is needed in a non Covid year, I would love to see the rationale. I do not follow the logic in that statement.
12/01/2020 6:19:19 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@spxcoachrm I’m with you coach, I rather like the non Covid format.
@spxcoachrm

I'm with you coach, I rather like the non Covid format.
12/02/2020 12:00:36 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@spxcoachrm Right with you Coach!!!
@spxcoachrm Right with you Coach!!!
12/02/2020 12:34:45 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
The athlete check process was broken before and it wasn't better this year. Having 1/2 of the field have to show up earlier than the other half isn't really fair and interferes with traditional warm up procedures. A couple ways to fix this process... 1) Drop all the stupid uniform matching requirement checks at the starting line.. because identically matching uniforms has no impact on the racing or ability of officials to monitor the meet? It is an unnecessary rule in XC. 2) If they insist on checking uniforms, there needs to be at least 1/2 dozen uniform checkers versus what I believe was only 1 lady who had to check 32 teams. Process can't be completed in a quick/timely way without several checkers who are pre assigned responsibility over a smaller subset of teams. 3) Move to bib timing instead of chips. Then, no one needs to check chips at the starting line. Bibs won't fall off. I understand bibs with RFIF imbedded costs money. It would probably cost $1.00-$1.50/bib. I assume a way can be found to pay for the additional cost. Coaches, imagine how much nicer state would be if all the athletes had to do was pin on their bib versus having to attach chips on both spikes. Muddy meet? No shoe chips = no problem. The COVID awards process was 100% unacceptable and not something that should carry over post COVID. It is a joke if GHSA thought that was a proper way to reward individual athletes and teams. There is no logical argument for continuing the COVID awards process but it sure was nice of Coach McClay to ask. If the true issue is Carrollton High School doesn't like runners on the softball field, certainly they can find another venue close by.... like maybe the football stadium across the street?
The athlete check process was broken before and it wasn't better this year. Having 1/2 of the field have to show up earlier than the other half isn't really fair and interferes with traditional warm up procedures.

A couple ways to fix this process...
1) Drop all the stupid uniform matching requirement checks at the starting line.. because identically matching uniforms has no impact on the racing or ability of officials to monitor the meet? It is an unnecessary rule in XC.
2) If they insist on checking uniforms, there needs to be at least 1/2 dozen uniform checkers versus what I believe was only 1 lady who had to check 32 teams. Process can't be completed in a quick/timely way without several checkers who are pre assigned responsibility over a smaller subset of teams.
3) Move to bib timing instead of chips. Then, no one needs to check chips at the starting line. Bibs won't fall off. I understand bibs with RFIF imbedded costs money. It would probably cost $1.00-$1.50/bib. I assume a way can be found to pay for the additional cost. Coaches, imagine how much nicer state would be if all the athletes had to do was pin on their bib versus having to attach chips on both spikes. Muddy meet? No shoe chips = no problem.

The COVID awards process was 100% unacceptable and not something that should carry over post COVID. It is a joke if GHSA thought that was a proper way to reward individual athletes and teams. There is no logical argument for continuing the COVID awards process but it sure was nice of Coach McClay to ask. If the true issue is Carrollton High School doesn't like runners on the softball field, certainly they can find another venue close by.... like maybe the football stadium across the street?
12/02/2020 12:45:00 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I actually think having even and odd boxes check-in at separately designated times did streamline the process/ made the starting line feel a little less stressful. It probably helped the clerks a good bit. Teams still need to do better at getting to the start line to get checked in when they are supposed to. The procedures don't work when people just don't follow them. One of our races actually started a few minutes late because a team scampered up to the starting line to be checked in while the starter was giving instructions. Uniforms should absolutely be checked as identifiable at a championship meet and prior to the gun, so I think this part of the process is here to stay. Now, is 30min and 20min before the race necessary? Could probably be moved up a bit closer to the gun time. But what Giddens is referring to is the staggered start prior to the gun, where the odd boxes had to advance like 8 feet to be even with the line. I'll be honest, this was not necessary this year and has no place in staying in a non-pandemic situation. We all understood why it was set it up that way and rolled with it, right, but... not really needed to improve the "safety" of the meet- we all know we would prefer a traditional starting line. Awards should definitely return to normal. Kids should get to stand on a podium in front of a crowd.
I actually think having even and odd boxes check-in at separately designated times did streamline the process/ made the starting line feel a little less stressful. It probably helped the clerks a good bit. Teams still need to do better at getting to the start line to get checked in when they are supposed to. The procedures don't work when people just don't follow them. One of our races actually started a few minutes late because a team scampered up to the starting line to be checked in while the starter was giving instructions.

Uniforms should absolutely be checked as identifiable at a championship meet and prior to the gun, so I think this part of the process is here to stay. Now, is 30min and 20min before the race necessary? Could probably be moved up a bit closer to the gun time.

But what Giddens is referring to is the staggered start prior to the gun, where the odd boxes had to advance like 8 feet to be even with the line. I'll be honest, this was not necessary this year and has no place in staying in a non-pandemic situation. We all understood why it was set it up that way and rolled with it, right, but... not really needed to improve the "safety" of the meet- we all know we would prefer a traditional starting line.

Awards should definitely return to normal. Kids should get to stand on a podium in front of a crowd.
12/02/2020 1:43:47 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=spxcoachrm]@RobtheAggie If somebody could explain to me how the awards this year were more photo friendly than previous years or why exactly a staggered start is needed in a non Covid year, I would love to see the rationale. I do not follow the logic in that statement. [/quote] 100% agree. The original statement is laughable
spxcoachrm wrote:
@RobtheAggie

If somebody could explain to me how the awards this year were more photo friendly than previous years or why exactly a staggered start is needed in a non Covid year, I would love to see the rationale. I do not follow the logic in that statement.

100% agree. The original statement is laughable

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.