Yes 38 76%
No 11 22%
Undecided 1 2%
50 Votes

Vote!
XC Sectional Meet
10/25/2020 3:44:54 PM
Coach
Asking all coaches, athletes, fans, etc. from all classifications: [b]Would you be in favor of a Sectional meet after Region to qualify for State? Do you think it would make Georgia Cross Country better?[/b] We could tweak the details but, something along these lines: The same number of teams that reach State right now would reach Sectionals. A total of 16-24 teams would make State in each classification. The other option people have suggested: Region: top 2 get a bye - Next 3 go to sectionals Sectionals: 2 Races with 12 teams each - Top 4 qualify for State State: 24 Teams
Asking all coaches, athletes, fans, etc. from all classifications:

Would you be in favor of a Sectional meet after Region to qualify for State?
Do you think it would make Georgia Cross Country better?

We could tweak the details but, something along these lines:
The same number of teams that reach State right now would reach Sectionals.
A total of 16-24 teams would make State in each classification.

The other option people have suggested:
Region: top 2 get a bye
- Next 3 go to sectionals
Sectionals: 2 Races with 12 teams each - Top 4 qualify for State
State: 24 Teams
10/25/2020 4:54:13 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@RidgeXC No other state in the USA executes their championship for cross country like Georgia. We have 8 classes, most in the USA. The average of all states = 4. Georgia hosts over 200 teams / gender. The USA average is 67. Georgia had 2,863 athletes run at state in 2019. USA average 1,122. California, with a population 4 times larger than Georgia = 2,000. Texas population = 3X Georgia = 1,789. Georgia runs the only 2 day, same venue state meet in the USA. Going to state, which should be a special achievement earned through collective hard work, is all too often available to any team that can manage to get 5 athletes across the finish line at region. In the region meets on Saturday, we had several regions that didn't even meet that absurdly low bar. 5 runners who can complete a 5K run. The entire process needs a major overhaul.
@RidgeXC

No other state in the USA executes their championship for cross country like Georgia. We have 8 classes, most in the USA. The average of all states = 4. Georgia hosts over 200 teams / gender. The USA average is 67. Georgia had 2,863 athletes run at state in 2019. USA average 1,122. California, with a population 4 times larger than Georgia = 2,000. Texas population = 3X Georgia = 1,789. Georgia runs the only 2 day, same venue state meet in the USA. Going to state, which should be a special achievement earned through collective hard work, is all too often available to any team that can manage to get 5 athletes across the finish line at region. In the region meets on Saturday, we had several regions that didn't even meet that absurdly low bar. 5 runners who can complete a 5K run. The entire process needs a major overhaul.
10/25/2020 6:56:14 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@RidgeXC I would definitely like to see sectionals, it is time to limit the number of teams that run on the Carrollton course. 16 teams would be far better than the current 32.
@RidgeXC

I would definitely like to see sectionals, it is time to limit the number of teams that run on the Carrollton course. 16 teams would be far better than the current 32.
10/25/2020 7:03:41 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
In 2002, 2003, 2004, when we had Sectionals before, 1st and 2nd at Region got a bye to State. 3rd and 4th had to run Sectionals the next week and finish in the top 8. That made 24 teams in each classification.
In 2002, 2003, 2004, when we had Sectionals before, 1st and 2nd at Region got a bye to State. 3rd and 4th had to run Sectionals the next week and finish in the top 8. That made 24 teams in each classification.
10/25/2020 9:02:25 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachac That would be an improvement, but I don't like the bye. Everyone should have to qualify in each round in order to advance. This works well in sectionals for track and field, and it would be fine in xc as well.
@coachac

That would be an improvement, but I don't like the bye. Everyone should have to qualify in each round in order to advance. This works well in sectionals for track and field, and it would be fine in xc as well.
10/27/2020 11:03:08 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
These are just my thoughts. I am in favor of a 2-step process to get to the State championship. The process of Region (Step 1) then Sectionals (Step 2) has definitely made the State Track Meet. I believe the same would happen if we implemented a similar process to Cross Country. I also support that all teams being required to run without a bye. And I support a process that goes from 32 teams to 16 teams. What I like about keeping the meet at Carrollton is it keeps a baseline standard on the course. I know the course has morphed over the years, but I don't see that happening any in the near future. Of course, I work here now and you would say that I am biased. But, I was that way before I got the job here. And I don't mind being completely transparent, I am from Carrollton. I didn't go to Carrollton...I went to Central. But what is here for me are two parents who are in need of my care. This job allowed me to get home to provide that care. But adding sectionals does create more opportunities for races to be held throughout the State, just like the track season. Coach Sorrells
These are just my thoughts. I am in favor of a 2-step process to get to the State championship. The process of Region (Step 1) then Sectionals (Step 2) has definitely made the State Track Meet. I believe the same would happen if we implemented a similar process to Cross Country. I also support that all teams being required to run without a bye. And I support a process that goes from 32 teams to 16 teams.

What I like about keeping the meet at Carrollton is it keeps a baseline standard on the course. I know the course has morphed over the years, but I don't see that happening any in the near future. Of course, I work here now and you would say that I am biased. But, I was that way before I got the job here. And I don't mind being completely transparent, I am from Carrollton. I didn't go to Carrollton...I went to Central. But what is here for me are two parents who are in need of my care. This job allowed me to get home to provide that care. But adding sectionals does create more opportunities for races to be held throughout the State, just like the track season.

Coach Sorrells
10/28/2020 8:24:16 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I would love to see a sectional format. I would rather see 16 or 24 good teams at the state than what we see now. I think we need to work in the framework of GHSA. GHSA likes regions, so we either need to convince them to have less classifications for XC/Track or we need to use the track and field format. I know that isn't perfect, but it would be better than what we have now.
I would love to see a sectional format. I would rather see 16 or 24 good teams at the state than what we see now. I think we need to work in the framework of GHSA. GHSA likes regions, so we either need to convince them to have less classifications for XC/Track or we need to use the track and field format. I know that isn't perfect, but it would be better than what we have now.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.