Invitation Request for Information
10/12/2020 11:17:39 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
How do athletes get invited to the GA Meet of Champions? What are standards? Can Teams be comprised of athletes from different schools?
How do athletes get invited to the GA Meet of Champions? What are standards? Can Teams be comprised of athletes from different schools?
11/02/2020 12:22:07 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
There is a selection committee who invites the teams and the individuals Top 20+ teams (across all classifications using milesplit ranking) get invites individual boys not on an invited team who run under 16 minutes individual girls not on an invited team who run under 19 minutes Individuals must be from the same high school.
There is a selection committee who invites the teams and the individuals

Top 20+ teams (across all classifications using milesplit ranking) get invites

individual boys not on an invited team who run under 16 minutes
individual girls not on an invited team who run under 19 minutes

Individuals must be from the same high school.
11/02/2020 7:14:53 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@hofbrave81 How is this a fair way to determine invites to the MOC? ASICS or Coach Wood just became your qualifying standard. Out of the 48 boys that ran sub 16 this year 46 of those times were from one of those meets. The majority of those times were the only times for those runners under 16 minutes. A lot of those runners ran in the mid to high 16 minute range at other courses. Please explain why a runner that runs times consistently faster than these qualifiers does not get an invite? On the girls side that field even gets smaller. I think you can do better.
@hofbrave81
How is this a fair way to determine invites to the MOC? ASICS or Coach Wood just became your qualifying standard. Out of the 48 boys that ran sub 16 this year 46 of those times were from one of those meets. The majority of those times were the only times for those runners under 16 minutes. A lot of those runners ran in the mid to high 16 minute range at other courses. Please explain why a runner that runs times consistently faster than these qualifiers does not get an invite? On the girls side that field even gets smaller.
I think you can do better.
11/02/2020 7:25:05 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@WSWFC I’m not involved with the selection, but this is typically done in two waves. The first wave is the guaranteed entries that are to get many fast kids and teams there committed early. The second wave is based mostly on state performance to make sure they get all of the top kids there. So just because that is who has been invited so far, it doesn’t mean that is everybody who will be invited.
@WSWFC

I'm not involved with the selection, but this is typically done in two waves. The first wave is the guaranteed entries that are to get many fast kids and teams there committed early. The second wave is based mostly on state performance to make sure they get all of the top kids there. So just because that is who has been invited so far, it doesn't mean that is everybody who will be invited.
11/02/2020 7:32:50 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@spxcoachrm Waves or not. There are A LOT of kids that have been invited so far that do not run these times at other courses. Still my same argument.
@spxcoachrm
Waves or not. There are A LOT of kids that have been invited so far that do not run these times at other courses. Still my same argument.
11/02/2020 9:41:40 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@WSWFC Not my meet. Not my decision. Just trying to let you know that it's highly likely the runners who are not yet invited that you are referring to will most likely be invited after state this weekend.
@WSWFC

Not my meet. Not my decision. Just trying to let you know that it's highly likely the runners who are not yet invited that you are referring to will most likely be invited after state this weekend.
11/03/2020 9:11:22 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I served on the selection committee a few years ago and I can tell you that the group of coaches spends a significant amount of time VOLUNTEERING to try their best to select the best field. When I served we met almost every Sunday evening to discuss the weekends races to see if there were individuals or teams who we previously missed that we should invite. Coach McClay is right. The early invites are sent in an attempt to secure the best field possible. But as the season progressed we would also look at head to head competition and look at athletes who might beat other athletes we had already invited. Yes time is a starting point to look at who to invite but it is just that, a starting point. There are 2 waves of invites, that go out. The initial wave and then the final wave after State. However, we would send some invites between the two waves if we feel we missed any athletes or teams. Is the process perfect? Probably not. But again, it is a group of coaches who are volunteering their time to make the meet possible. And I can say from experience that we did the best job we could at trying to invite and select the top runners from around the State.
I served on the selection committee a few years ago and I can tell you that the group of coaches spends a significant amount of time VOLUNTEERING to try their best to select the best field. When I served we met almost every Sunday evening to discuss the weekends races to see if there were individuals or teams who we previously missed that we should invite.

Coach McClay is right. The early invites are sent in an attempt to secure the best field possible. But as the season progressed we would also look at head to head competition and look at athletes who might beat other athletes we had already invited. Yes time is a starting point to look at who to invite but it is just that, a starting point. There are 2 waves of invites, that go out. The initial wave and then the final wave after State. However, we would send some invites between the two waves if we feel we missed any athletes or teams.

Is the process perfect? Probably not. But again, it is a group of coaches who are volunteering their time to make the meet possible. And I can say from experience that we did the best job we could at trying to invite and select the top runners from around the State.
11/03/2020 10:24:32 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Advocate for those kids you mention here? Everyone is human and it’s easy to overlook someone- especially this season with so many smaller meets taking place.
Advocate for those kids you mention here? Everyone is human and it's easy to overlook someone- especially this season with so many smaller meets taking place.
11/03/2020 2:50:29 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@runtad Not my intention to downgrade or be critical of any coach, or their efforts. I simply disagree with the initial "wave," if you will, of selection criteria. I am at work so I will provide more thoughts tonight. Thanks for the open and honest discussion.
@runtad
Not my intention to downgrade or be critical of any coach, or their efforts. I simply disagree with the initial "wave," if you will, of selection criteria. I am at work so I will provide more thoughts tonight. Thanks for the open and honest discussion.
11/03/2020 7:43:43 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@WSWFC I agree with @runtad as I have sat on the calls as the representative for USATF GA who has historically financed this meet. To be clear, this is not a GHSA meet. It has been funded and supported by USATF GA. But the selection process has been left to a HS coaches committee. To reiterate, the coaches on the selection committee do spend considerable time looking through results. Most of these Sunday evening meetings lasted over an hour if not longer. This coming Sunday, I assume, will be a long one. That said, yes, there will be some misses and further refinement to the selection process will occur. Like many other things, you set a base for selection, and make adjustments as outliers come to light. Definitely, make suggestions to changes as I am sure some that are on the committee will read this and take into consideration. Please keep in mind that many decisions will come this Sunday/Monday after the state meet.
@WSWFC

I agree with @runtad as I have sat on the calls as the representative for USATF GA who has historically financed this meet. To be clear, this is not a GHSA meet. It has been funded and supported by USATF GA. But the selection process has been left to a HS coaches committee.

To reiterate, the coaches on the selection committee do spend considerable time looking through results. Most of these Sunday evening meetings lasted over an hour if not longer. This coming Sunday, I assume, will be a long one.

That said, yes, there will be some misses and further refinement to the selection process will occur. Like many other things, you set a base for selection, and make adjustments as outliers come to light.

Definitely, make suggestions to changes as I am sure some that are on the committee will read this and take into consideration. Please keep in mind that many decisions will come this Sunday/Monday after the state meet.
11/04/2020 7:24:42 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
What time will the boys open race be
What time will the boys open race be
11/04/2020 8:28:24 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@fl1-5dde7337-1cf7-43ac-a8cb-1bc33527c146 see the [url=https://ga.milesplit.com/meets/398818-meet-of-champions-open-races-2020/info]meet information page[/url] for details regarding the Meet of Champions Open races.
@fl1-5dde7337-1cf7-43ac-a8cb-1bc33527c146 see the meet information page for details regarding the Meet of Champions Open races.
11/05/2020 6:52:59 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@scalbert I will be looking forward to seeing the final field early this week. I have a couple of suggestions to throw out there, but with the craziness of this week I will do so after state. Good luck to all this weekend and we will see you in Carrolton!!
@scalbert
I will be looking forward to seeing the final field early this week. I have a couple of suggestions to throw out there, but with the craziness of this week I will do so after state. Good luck to all this weekend and we will see you in Carrolton!!
11/09/2020 2:43:22 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Just out of curiosity have all invitations to the MOC been made or is there going to be one final day where that will take place? Thanks
Just out of curiosity have all invitations to the MOC been made or is there going to be one final day where that will take place? Thanks
11/09/2020 8:04:13 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@tbell210 I'm going to guess that the invitations have gone out since the deadline for meet entries is tonight at Midnight
@tbell210 I'm going to guess that the invitations have gone out since the deadline for meet entries is tonight at Midnight

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.