Carrollton races and COVID
09/12/2020 3:28:32 PM
Coach
I’m been coaching at the college, club and high school level for over 40 years, and I’ve never been so disappointed as what I saw today. Perhaps 20% of the parents and adults at the Carrollton races wore masks, and forget about keeping distance. Worse though is that very few of the coaches kept their masks on or even tried to wear them. You would think they would know better. I guess not. Keep it up folks and our season will end early. I had a parent show up with his child, take one look and got back in the car and went home. Can’t say I blame him.
I'm been coaching at the college, club and high school level for over 40 years, and I've never been so disappointed as what I saw today. Perhaps 20% of the parents and adults at the Carrollton races wore masks, and forget about keeping distance. Worse though is that very few of the coaches kept their masks on or even tried to wear them. You would think they would know better. I guess not. Keep it up folks and our season will end early. I had a parent show up with his child, take one look and got back in the car and went home. Can't say I blame him.
09/12/2020 4:06:22 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Petrel I thought Carrollton did a great job today hosting the meet. A lot of those coaches were running back and forth cheering on their runners, so please cut them a little slack. I also thought the parents did a pretty good job keeping away from the team tents. This was our first invitational of the season and overall, I was encouraged by what I saw today. It's an outdoor sport -- maybe I just have lower expectations. Good job, Carrollton!
@Petrel

I thought Carrollton did a great job today hosting the meet. A lot of those coaches were running back and forth cheering on their runners, so please cut them a little slack. I also thought the parents did a pretty good job keeping away from the team tents.

This was our first invitational of the season and overall, I was encouraged by what I saw today. It's an outdoor sport -- maybe I just have lower expectations.

Good job, Carrollton!
09/12/2020 5:49:22 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I too was disappointed in people at the meet today. The meet director sent out the covid plan for the meet and it very clearly stated everyone that is not in a race is to be in a mask. Anyone that was at the meet today has an interest in cross country - either you are in the meet, your child is in the meet or you are a coach. So why would you not follow the directions clearly sent out by the race director? If you want the best chance for the sport to make it to November follow the rules. Whether you agree with a rule or not - if it's a rule simply follow it or stay home. Don't put your selfishness in front of what is asked of by the meet director. He is trying to put together a great product and get things hammered out for the State meet. Many of you present today that refused to follow the rules are going to cause there to be discussions of no spectators allowed at meets. Cross country has one of the best chances of any of the fall sports to have a state championship if we are all willing to work together to get there. Wear your mask, social distance from others and follow the rules. It's simple. And of course, everyone that did what was asked - thanks for doing your part.
I too was disappointed in people at the meet today. The meet director sent out the covid plan for the meet and it very clearly stated everyone that is not in a race is to be in a mask. Anyone that was at the meet today has an interest in cross country - either you are in the meet, your child is in the meet or you are a coach. So why would you not follow the directions clearly sent out by the race director? If you want the best chance for the sport to make it to November follow the rules. Whether you agree with a rule or not - if it's a rule simply follow it or stay home. Don't put your selfishness in front of what is asked of by the meet director. He is trying to put together a great product and get things hammered out for the State meet. Many of you present today that refused to follow the rules are going to cause there to be discussions of no spectators allowed at meets. Cross country has one of the best chances of any of the fall sports to have a state championship if we are all willing to work together to get there. Wear your mask, social distance from others and follow the rules. It's simple. And of course, everyone that did what was asked - thanks for doing your part.
09/12/2020 10:34:45 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I have to agree that the meet was "Awesome". People wore masks and social distancing was organized, but people that aren't scared of the virus, will not follow directions. If you have worries (have underlying conditions) do not need to be out, if they are not protected. I feel it is truly a personal choice. Thank you Carrollton for all of your hard work. It felt great to have a normal experience, and most people followed the rules that were given to the Coaches.
I have to agree that the meet was "Awesome". People wore masks and social distancing was organized, but people that aren't scared of the virus, will not follow directions. If you have worries (have underlying conditions) do not need to be out, if they are not protected. I feel it is truly a personal choice.

Thank you Carrollton for all of your hard work. It felt great to have a normal experience, and most people followed the rules that were given to the Coaches.
09/13/2020 7:02:42 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
It is not a "personal choice" if the person in charge of the meet has stated very clearly that if you are not racing you need to be in a mask. I'll agree with coach Tigue that coaches should be cut a little bit of slack. And I'll add that I think we should all agree coaches can move their masks down around their chin while running to different locations, but then should put them back up when they get there. It's obvious from watching the video that a bunch of people who were not racing felt masks were optional. That's unfortunate. I know everybody has a different opinion and I'm not here to dismiss any of them as you are entitled to have it. I certainly have mine and my personal opinions do not always line up with my professional opinion. The Governor and GHSA are allowing us to have a season, but asking us to wear masks and be as socially distant as possible. And my guess is that will continue to be the case as long as they don't come under fire on the national news for letting us have meets where guidelines are not followed. It really is just one simple request to make sure these kids get to finish their season. Wear a mask. That's basically it. One simple, admittedly a little annoying, thing that everybody can do to show they're doing their part to help.
It is not a "personal choice" if the person in charge of the meet has stated very clearly that if you are not racing you need to be in a mask. I'll agree with coach Tigue that coaches should be cut a little bit of slack. And I'll add that I think we should all agree coaches can move their masks down around their chin while running to different locations, but then should put them back up when they get there.

It's obvious from watching the video that a bunch of people who were not racing felt masks were optional. That's unfortunate.

I know everybody has a different opinion and I'm not here to dismiss any of them as you are entitled to have it. I certainly have mine and my personal opinions do not always line up with my professional opinion. The Governor and GHSA are allowing us to have a season, but asking us to wear masks and be as socially distant as possible. And my guess is that will continue to be the case as long as they don't come under fire on the national news for letting us have meets where guidelines are not followed.

It really is just one simple request to make sure these kids get to finish their season. Wear a mask. That's basically it. One simple, admittedly a little annoying, thing that everybody can do to show they're doing their part to help.
09/13/2020 11:28:47 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=gotsoles]I feel it is truly a personal choice.[/quote] Personal choices affect others. There are likely kids racing who have family members with underlying conditions. Knowing that there will be large numbers of maskless spectators can take away a kid's opportunity to participate. That has happened on my team. If meet directors, school systems, the GHSA, and medical experts want us to wear masks, that's what we should do, both to give our kids the best chance possible at the complete season they deserve and to be good role models for the kids in our charge. I do not envy meet directors in the slightest. While it is on them to some extent, they take more blame than they should for spectators at their event, when it's really on head coaches to educate their kids & their parents as to the right thing to do. Coach McClay said it best. Wearing a mask is such a small price to pay for the chance to get back to normalcy a little sooner than we otherwise will.
gotsoles wrote:
I feel it is truly a personal choice.

Personal choices affect others. There are likely kids racing who have family members with underlying conditions. Knowing that there will be large numbers of maskless spectators can take away a kid's opportunity to participate. That has happened on my team. If meet directors, school systems, the GHSA, and medical experts want us to wear masks, that's what we should do, both to give our kids the best chance possible at the complete season they deserve and to be good role models for the kids in our charge.

I do not envy meet directors in the slightest. While it is on them to some extent, they take more blame than they should for spectators at their event, when it's really on head coaches to educate their kids & their parents as to the right thing to do.

Coach McClay said it best. Wearing a mask is such a small price to pay for the chance to get back to normalcy a little sooner than we otherwise will.
09/13/2020 5:12:21 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Maybe we need to assign a coach "mask" duty. You know, like that poor soul who's job in football games is to drag the head coach back on the field when he loses his ability to control himself and stay on the sideline even though he knows it is against the rules to be on the field and his team may be penalized if an official wants to toss a flag. Take about crummy duty. The mask coach. To clarify, the poor "mask coach" has to walk around reminding all spectators and non competing athletes to put on a mask the whole day.
Maybe we need to assign a coach "mask" duty. You know, like that poor soul who's job in football games is to drag the head coach back on the field when he loses his ability to control himself and stay on the sideline even though he knows it is against the rules to be on the field and his team may be penalized if an official wants to toss a flag. Take about crummy duty. The mask coach. To clarify, the poor "mask coach" has to walk around reminding all spectators and non competing athletes to put on a mask the whole day.
09/13/2020 11:00:50 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
I [b]HAVE TO[/b] wear a mask [b]at ALL-TIMES[/b] when I am coaching our team (and at meets). I run with a mask (eventhough I hate it but maybe there is a little altitude training going on their and yes, it SMELLS but so do your socks & shoes), I make announcements in a mask. Wear a mask for OTHERS, if not yourself. We need to respect others and make it safe for everyone or we will NOT have a season.
I HAVE TO wear a mask at ALL-TIMES when I am coaching our team (and at meets). I run with a mask (eventhough I hate it but maybe there is a little altitude training going on their and yes, it SMELLS but so do your socks & shoes), I make announcements in a mask. Wear a mask for OTHERS, if not yourself. We need to respect others and make it safe for everyone or we will NOT have a season.
09/14/2020 8:24:18 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Why all the negativity on the Board this weekend? We should be celebrating that we've made it into mid-September, thru 5 race weekends now, without any major issues, upticks in cases, contract tracing back to meets being the origination point, etc. I have been to 4 meets already this season and have seen people, by and large, acting very prudent. I've seen lots of masks on folks when they CANNOT socially distance, folks not congregating around team tents like normal, and just generally using common sense. I see very good measures put in place by Meet Directors(with excellent guidance by GHSA and GATFXCCA) in regards to starting line blocks(e.g. Gwinnett used Metal fencing to separate and give extra space for starting line blocks), finish line procedures, scheduling of races, awards ceremonies, etc. Finally, there has been great racing, records being broken, and lifetime memories being made. This is all awesome stuff. At the same time, I see my fellow posters' above points, Let's make sure we don't let our guard down and start being complacent. We're doing great so far this season.
Why all the negativity on the Board this weekend? We should be celebrating that we've made it into mid-September, thru 5 race weekends now, without any major issues, upticks in cases, contract tracing back to meets being the origination point, etc.

I have been to 4 meets already this season and have seen people, by and large, acting very prudent. I've seen lots of masks on folks when they CANNOT socially distance, folks not congregating around team tents like normal, and just generally using common sense.

I see very good measures put in place by Meet Directors(with excellent guidance by GHSA and GATFXCCA) in regards to starting line blocks(e.g. Gwinnett used Metal fencing to separate and give extra space for starting line blocks), finish line procedures, scheduling of races, awards ceremonies, etc.

Finally, there has been great racing, records being broken, and lifetime memories being made. This is all awesome stuff.

At the same time, I see my fellow posters' above points, Let's make sure we don't let our guard down and start being complacent. We're doing great so far this season.
09/14/2020 11:49:50 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Beaudreau_Mike I just think it's important to show others that you are trying to keep the virus from spreading. The easiest way to SHOW this is to wear a mask at all times, even if you are socially distanced from everybody else. I understand social distancing. But I also understand how people are constantly moving around at meets and that it's just smarter and easier for us to wear masks the whole time rather than trying to judge if we are within 6 feet of somebody or not, moving our masks up and down all day. We're bound to get it wrong at least sometimes. And even if you think the CDC guidelines are wrong, many people don't. And some of those people get to make decisions, like whether or not we get to finish this season. Seeing so many mask-less faces as runners are coming down the final hill in the Carrollton video is not a good look for us as that is also the most crowded part of the course. I care more about showing everybody we are trying to do the right thing than debate whether I should or shouldn't have to wear a mask. I do not want anybody telling GHSA that I, or anybody else, was not following the CDC guidelines. I do not mean to be negative. I am just saying that if you truly want to put the kids first and keep enjoying this season, then it's best to put your personal and political feelings aside (regardless of which side you are on) and focus on following the rules that the meet directors put forth. Like wearing a mask unless you are actively running. And yes, so far we've had a very fun season and it's so nice to be out there watching kids compete again after missing so many races this spring.
@Beaudreau_Mike

I just think it's important to show others that you are trying to keep the virus from spreading. The easiest way to SHOW this is to wear a mask at all times, even if you are socially distanced from everybody else. I understand social distancing. But I also understand how people are constantly moving around at meets and that it's just smarter and easier for us to wear masks the whole time rather than trying to judge if we are within 6 feet of somebody or not, moving our masks up and down all day. We're bound to get it wrong at least sometimes. And even if you think the CDC guidelines are wrong, many people don't. And some of those people get to make decisions, like whether or not we get to finish this season.

Seeing so many mask-less faces as runners are coming down the final hill in the Carrollton video is not a good look for us as that is also the most crowded part of the course. I care more about showing everybody we are trying to do the right thing than debate whether I should or shouldn't have to wear a mask. I do not want anybody telling GHSA that I, or anybody else, was not following the CDC guidelines.

I do not mean to be negative. I am just saying that if you truly want to put the kids first and keep enjoying this season, then it's best to put your personal and political feelings aside (regardless of which side you are on) and focus on following the rules that the meet directors put forth. Like wearing a mask unless you are actively running.

And yes, so far we've had a very fun season and it's so nice to be out there watching kids compete again after missing so many races this spring.
09/14/2020 11:51:26 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@GACARTER Totally agree! I don't envy being a meet director this year. I definitely was not putting any blame on the Carrollton staff.
@GACARTER

Totally agree! I don't envy being a meet director this year. I definitely was not putting any blame on the Carrollton staff.
09/15/2020 10:20:27 AM
Power User
[quote=GACARTER][quote=gotsoles]I feel it is truly a personal choice.[/quote] Personal choices affect others. There are likely kids racing who have family members with underlying conditions. Knowing that there will be large numbers of maskless spectators can take away a kid's opportunity to participate. That has happened on my team. [/quote] Ok, first off I agree that we should all do our best to follow the procedures for the meet, my motivation to do that is purely to give us the best chance at showing the public we can have cross country meets without being a significnt reason for increased positive tests in our population, thus we get to have a state meet. Now, as for the statement above, I don't understand how any athlete who has a family member with underlying conditions whom they live around can participate in the extracurricular activitiy of cross country. Do you mean to say their are students in this situation that come to practice every day with about 30 to 100 other athletes; and they fully trust that their teammates are not hanging around others outside of practice and possibly contracting the virus? That takes way too much unsupervised trust, their is no way I would allow my child to go to practice daily if the situation at home was set up like that. Come on, you really think teenage JV runners are not hanging out on the weekends with all kinds of people and populations? If you are sending your child to cross country practice this season, then you are ok with them getting the virus, I don't see how that's not understood. Again, I'm not saying we shouldnt do our best to control and keep from spreading the virus but let's not kid ourselves, if an athlete is running cross country this season, they and their family have made peace with the possibility of contracting the highly contagious covid 19 virus.
GACARTER wrote:
gotsoles wrote:
I feel it is truly a personal choice.

Personal choices affect others. There are likely kids racing who have family members with underlying conditions. Knowing that there will be large numbers of maskless spectators can take away a kid's opportunity to participate. That has happened on my team.

Ok, first off I agree that we should all do our best to follow the procedures for the meet, my motivation to do that is purely to give us the best chance at showing the public we can have cross country meets without being a significnt reason for increased positive tests in our population, thus we get to have a state meet.

Now, as for the statement above, I don't understand how any athlete who has a family member with underlying conditions whom they live around can participate in the extracurricular activitiy of cross country. Do you mean to say their are students in this situation that come to practice every day with about 30 to 100 other athletes; and they fully trust that their teammates are not hanging around others outside of practice and possibly contracting the virus? That takes way too much unsupervised trust, their is no way I would allow my child to go to practice daily if the situation at home was set up like that. Come on, you really think teenage JV runners are not hanging out on the weekends with all kinds of people and populations?

If you are sending your child to cross country practice this season, then you are ok with them getting the virus, I don't see how that's not understood. Again, I'm not saying we shouldnt do our best to control and keep from spreading the virus but let's not kid ourselves, if an athlete is running cross country this season, they and their family have made peace with the possibility of contracting the highly contagious covid 19 virus.
09/15/2020 12:35:26 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Look at all of the football games on tv people all over there not wearing mask. Most of you people posting were not at the meet, so please stop. I saw photos of the gwinnett county meet people not wearing mask. The more you guys talk all of the bad stuff, they may stop us lets look at all the good stuff with xc season. CDC you guys want to talk about them so much 15 minutes in a closed space is the rule, out side running around they say its ok, so when you want to quote the CDC make sure you post all of the info coaches please don't be CNN Like goat running said if you think everyone on your team and the people they know are perfect and only way to get sick is from running at a meet that is very very scary for all of us
Look at all of the football games on tv people all over there not wearing mask.
Most of you people posting were not at the meet, so please stop.
I saw photos of the gwinnett county meet people not wearing mask.
The more you guys talk all of the bad stuff, they may stop us
lets look at all the good stuff with xc season.
CDC you guys want to talk about them so much 15 minutes in a closed space is the rule, out side running around they say its ok, so when you want to quote the CDC make sure you post all of the info coaches please don't be CNN
Like goat running said if you think everyone on your team and the people they know are perfect and only way to get sick is from running at a meet that is very very scary for all of us
09/15/2020 1:08:42 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Just an FYI. One of my assistant coaches works for the CDC. So does his wife. They speak with scientists about this daily. They agree that anybody not racing should be wearing a mask for now. My sources on this are not the media, I promise. The media is exactly who I am afraid of. I can go into a much longer post about statistics and science if you wish, but I don't really think it's relevant to my point. In a game of numbers I can't believe how much push back we are getting when what is being said is "Hey, let's have a season. Just one little thing though. Unless you're racing or have trouble breathing, wear a mask. Some of you aren't doing this." Goat is probably right that most people who are at meets don't live with somebody who is high risk, but it sounds more like what he's saying is that people feel that they are willing to accept the risk of getting the virus for the reward of having a season. Life is a series of risk assessments. Every time you get in your car you are weighing the risk that somebody will hit you with their car and injure you or worse for the reward of getting where you want to go much faster. I feel like pointing out somebody else who failed to follow guidelines is like cheating in middle school P.E. class and when caught saying "he cheated first!" I will absolutely tell any Pius parents at a meet to put their masks on if I catch them without one. That's really all I can do in my role.
Just an FYI. One of my assistant coaches works for the CDC. So does his wife. They speak with scientists about this daily. They agree that anybody not racing should be wearing a mask for now. My sources on this are not the media, I promise. The media is exactly who I am afraid of. I can go into a much longer post about statistics and science if you wish, but I don't really think it's relevant to my point. In a game of numbers I can't believe how much push back we are getting when what is being said is "Hey, let's have a season. Just one little thing though. Unless you're racing or have trouble breathing, wear a mask. Some of you aren't doing this."

Goat is probably right that most people who are at meets don't live with somebody who is high risk, but it sounds more like what he's saying is that people feel that they are willing to accept the risk of getting the virus for the reward of having a season. Life is a series of risk assessments. Every time you get in your car you are weighing the risk that somebody will hit you with their car and injure you or worse for the reward of getting where you want to go much faster.

I feel like pointing out somebody else who failed to follow guidelines is like cheating in middle school P.E. class and when caught saying "he cheated first!" I will absolutely tell any Pius parents at a meet to put their masks on if I catch them without one. That's really all I can do in my role.
09/15/2020 1:16:05 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@8MileGoat Families are willing to assume a certain amount of risk. I completely understand a family willing to send a kid to practice, where athletes & coaches are screened and wearing masks, and safety procedures are in place and followed. That same family may not being willing to assume the increased risk associated with being around a large number of maskless people at a meet. Those two situations do not carry the same amount of risk. Saying that families who are okay with one situation should be okay with another is a false equivalence. Saying that families with underlying conditions who are sending their child to cross country are okay with their child getting Covid is ridiculous. Again, wearing a mask is such an easy thing to do for virtually everyone and gives us a better chance at November & normalcy. Again, Coach McClay says it best. We should all be doing this: "I will absolutely tell any [b][i]insert your school name here[/i][/b] parents at a meet to put their masks on if I catch them without one. That's really all I can do in my role."
@8MileGoat Families are willing to assume a certain amount of risk. I completely understand a family willing to send a kid to practice, where athletes & coaches are screened and wearing masks, and safety procedures are in place and followed. That same family may not being willing to assume the increased risk associated with being around a large number of maskless people at a meet. Those two situations do not carry the same amount of risk. Saying that families who are okay with one situation should be okay with another is a false equivalence. Saying that families with underlying conditions who are sending their child to cross country are okay with their child getting Covid is ridiculous.

Again, wearing a mask is such an easy thing to do for virtually everyone and gives us a better chance at November & normalcy.

Again, Coach McClay says it best. We should all be doing this: "I will absolutely tell any insert your school name here parents at a meet to put their masks on if I catch them without one. That's really all I can do in my role."
09/15/2020 1:30:30 PM
Power User
@GACARTER Your kind of making my point though, if it's going to be impossible to get all spectators on board at a meet and you have an at risk family memeber, why would you allow your child to run XC this season? Why even risk it? I guess it comes down to personal opinion as it should. For me, IF someone in my household is at risk, my child will not participate in extracurriculars.
@GACARTER

Your kind of making my point though, if it's going to be impossible to get all spectators on board at a meet and you have an at risk family memeber, why would you allow your child to run XC this season? Why even risk it?

I guess it comes down to personal opinion as it should. For me, IF someone in my household is at risk, my child will not participate in extracurriculars.
09/15/2020 2:07:50 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I'm happy that you have friends that work at the CDC. I do as well and they have not come out and said what you have. So again we are getting facts mixed with opinion. I love watching xc and sports I do wear a mask all day at work, in the team area, starting line, but when running around the course I'm sorry I don't. There fore I am a bad person. I don't want to get sick or see people get sick, but running around the course is no different than running around a park with lots of people. Can we jus not have fun and smile and give hugs
I'm happy that you have friends that work at the CDC. I do as well and they have not come out and said what you have. So again we are getting facts mixed with opinion.
I love watching xc and sports I do wear a mask all day at work, in the team area, starting line, but when running around the course I'm sorry I don't.
There fore I am a bad person.
I don't want to get sick or see people get sick, but running around the course is no different than running around a park with lots of people.
Can we jus not have fun and smile and give hugs
09/15/2020 2:39:07 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Yeah I regret the CDC comment. I was just trying to point out that I'm not just spouting off what's said on whatever news channel I choose to watch. I am trying to keep political opinions out of this. And I absolutely do not want to silence any opinions or call anybody a bad person. See above where I said I think coaches should be cut a little slack when coaching. But let's pretend for a second that I think masks are the dumbest thing and that Covid is a hoax. I recognize that at least half of the country, probably more, doesn't think that. And if I run around in what they deem to be a dangerous manner, it's possible they will believe there are too many people like me who are not taking this seriously enough and that XC shouldn't be allowed to happen. And I am certainly entitled to think they are wrong. And I am certainly entitled to want to debate with them on it. But that probably won't stop them from thinking it. And I can't comprehend why anybody who does this for the kids would want to intentionally revolt against the rules set forth by meet directors because they think they are dumb, knowing full well that the image they create is one that could put those kids season in jeopardy. Especially for something as simple as as wearing a mask. To me it's not about what you believe, it's about the image you create. If the adults in our sport create an image that they don't care about guidelines, or that they only sometimes need to be followed by non participants, it could end poorly for the kids.
Yeah I regret the CDC comment. I was just trying to point out that I'm not just spouting off what's said on whatever news channel I choose to watch. I am trying to keep political opinions out of this. And I absolutely do not want to silence any opinions or call anybody a bad person. See above where I said I think coaches should be cut a little slack when coaching.

But let's pretend for a second that I think masks are the dumbest thing and that Covid is a hoax. I recognize that at least half of the country, probably more, doesn't think that. And if I run around in what they deem to be a dangerous manner, it's possible they will believe there are too many people like me who are not taking this seriously enough and that XC shouldn't be allowed to happen. And I am certainly entitled to think they are wrong. And I am certainly entitled to want to debate with them on it. But that probably won't stop them from thinking it.

And I can't comprehend why anybody who does this for the kids would want to intentionally revolt against the rules set forth by meet directors because they think they are dumb, knowing full well that the image they create is one that could put those kids season in jeopardy. Especially for something as simple as as wearing a mask. To me it's not about what you believe, it's about the image you create. If the adults in our sport create an image that they don't care about guidelines, or that they only sometimes need to be followed by non participants, it could end poorly for the kids.
09/15/2020 2:49:16 PM
Power User
[quote=spxcoachrm]Yeah I regret the CDC comment. I was just trying to point out that I'm not just spouting off what's said on whatever news channel I choose to watch. I am trying to keep political opinions out of this. And I absolutely do not want to silence any opinions or call anybody a bad person. See above where I said I think coaches should be cut a little slack when coaching. But let's pretend for a second that I think masks are the dumbest thing and that Covid is a hoax. I recognize that at least half of the country, probably more, doesn't think that. And if I run around in what they deem to be a dangerous manner, it's possible they will believe there are too many people like me who are not taking this seriously enough and that XC shouldn't be allowed to happen. And I am certainly entitled to think they are wrong. And I am certainly entitled to want to debate with them on it. But that probably won't stop them from thinking it. And I can't comprehend why anybody who does this for the kids would want to intentionally revolt against the rules set forth by meet directors because they think they are dumb, knowing full well that the image they create is one that could put those kids season in jeopardy. Especially for something as simple as as wearing a mask. To me it's not about what you believe, it's about the image you create. If the adults in our sport create an image that they don't care about guidelines, or that they only sometimes need to be followed by non participants, it could end poorly for the kids.[/quote] Exactly, I think you have summed up what we are all getting at, thanks.
spxcoachrm wrote:
Yeah I regret the CDC comment. I was just trying to point out that I'm not just spouting off what's said on whatever news channel I choose to watch. I am trying to keep political opinions out of this. And I absolutely do not want to silence any opinions or call anybody a bad person. See above where I said I think coaches should be cut a little slack when coaching.

But let's pretend for a second that I think masks are the dumbest thing and that Covid is a hoax. I recognize that at least half of the country, probably more, doesn't think that. And if I run around in what they deem to be a dangerous manner, it's possible they will believe there are too many people like me who are not taking this seriously enough and that XC shouldn't be allowed to happen. And I am certainly entitled to think they are wrong. And I am certainly entitled to want to debate with them on it. But that probably won't stop them from thinking it.

And I can't comprehend why anybody who does this for the kids would want to intentionally revolt against the rules set forth by meet directors because they think they are dumb, knowing full well that the image they create is one that could put those kids season in jeopardy. Especially for something as simple as as wearing a mask. To me it's not about what you believe, it's about the image you create. If the adults in our sport create an image that they don't care about guidelines, or that they only sometimes need to be followed by non participants, it could end poorly for the kids.

Exactly, I think you have summed up what we are all getting at, thanks.
09/15/2020 11:43:21 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachtigue. Carrollton did a great job with establishing protocols and guidelines to run a safe meet. I was very pleased with the measures taken. It was a lack of follow through by those attending the meet. We have to follow the guidelines set by the meet director and his staff regardless of how you feel or how you practice covid measures outside of meets.
@coachtigue. Carrollton did a great job with establishing protocols and guidelines to run a safe meet. I was very pleased with the measures taken. It was a lack of follow through by those attending the meet. We have to follow the guidelines set by the meet director and his staff regardless of how you feel or how you practice covid measures outside of meets.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.