How do we get all kids a real season now?
03/13/2020 10:53:24 PM
Coach
Assuming this thing does actually "end" in 2 weeks, and we all get back to normal, what do we all do with schedules? I'm bringing it up to create a conversation because I value every opinion here. I have a large group of student athletes that deserve a chance to get meets. Sorry didn't mean to post so quickly- We hold on to our big Invitationals, and reschedule what we have lost on weekdays or Spring Break (like I may do with Running with the Devils at Loganville)? I am just curious what everyone is thinking. Or maybe this isn't the time? I'd just love to hear some thoughts from other coaches who are in the same boat about schedules, training, tapering, etc..
Assuming this thing does actually "end" in 2 weeks, and we all get back to normal, what do we all do with schedules? I'm bringing it up to create a conversation because I value every opinion here. I have a large group of student athletes that deserve a chance to get meets.
Sorry didn't mean to post so quickly-
We hold on to our big Invitationals, and reschedule what we have lost on weekdays or Spring Break (like I may do with Running with the Devils at Loganville)? I am just curious what everyone is thinking.
Or maybe this isn't the time? I'd just love to hear some thoughts from other coaches who are in the same boat about schedules, training, tapering, etc..
03/14/2020 2:27:27 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachHoughton It's actually good timing you bring this up Coach. Your GATFXCCA leadership(I am your Treasurer) has just started formulating ideas as we face the uncertain future. We're not even at the planning stages yet, just merely started talking about ideas to potentially address the best-case scenario of being back in a few weeks all the way to the full cessation of the season. One of the ideas could be: Several "all-comers" meets that would have FAT timing where all folks would run as "unattached" because their would not be any teams at that point. But the kids would at least have the opportunity to post a time/mark whether it be for scholarships, pride, Seniors finishing their HS careers, etc. At this stage, particularly, we are open to ideas so please do post those as we would love to consider them. We are certainly in uncharted waters here and it's important to be real with our athletes but also encourage them to continue to work hard and train hard as we work through possible scenarios to get them some racing opportunities. In service, Mike Beaudreau
@CoachHoughton It's actually good timing you bring this up Coach. Your GATFXCCA leadership(I am your Treasurer) has just started formulating ideas as we face the uncertain future. We're not even at the planning stages yet, just merely started talking about ideas to potentially address the best-case scenario of being back in a few weeks all the way to the full cessation of the season. One of the ideas could be:

Several "all-comers" meets that would have FAT timing where all folks would run as "unattached" because their would not be any teams at that point. But the kids would at least have the opportunity to post a time/mark whether it be for scholarships, pride, Seniors finishing their HS careers, etc.

At this stage, particularly, we are open to ideas so please do post those as we would love to consider them. We are certainly in uncharted waters here and it's important to be real with our athletes but also encourage them to continue to work hard and train hard as we work through possible scenarios to get them some racing opportunities.

In service,

Mike Beaudreau
03/14/2020 9:27:36 PM
Coach
@Beaudreau_Mike Thanks Coach- I think it is a serious conversation to have, and I know that the coaches are the ones to offer the best input. Its awesome to know that you are in the mix with the leadership group! I love the idea of FAT timed all- comers etc. Lets give these kids a chance to post verified times for 2020. - David Houghton
@Beaudreau_Mike
Thanks Coach- I think it is a serious conversation to have, and I know that the coaches are the ones to offer the best input. Its awesome to know that you are in the mix with the leadership group!
I love the idea of FAT timed all- comers etc.
Lets give these kids a chance to post verified times for 2020.

* David Houghton
03/14/2020 10:48:37 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I have a feeling this is going to spill over into late April
I have a feeling this is going to spill over into late April
03/14/2020 11:01:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Beaudreau_Mike Maybe we could involve the State AAU and USATF folks in some area competitions that would be geared towards high school kids. That would help us and them also.
@Beaudreau_Mike
Maybe we could involve the State AAU and USATF folks in some area competitions that would be geared towards high school kids. That would help us and them also.
03/15/2020 9:40:25 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Meets at a later date would be great but it’s a tricky situation for sure. For example, Gwinnett coaches have been told to not encourage training at this time. So anything kids might do right now would be totally on their own, with no suggestions or recommendations from coaches.
Meets at a later date would be great but it's a tricky situation for sure. For example, Gwinnett coaches have been told to not encourage training at this time. So anything kids might do right now would be totally on their own, with no suggestions or recommendations from coaches.
03/15/2020 10:59:40 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@WSWFC great idea Coach!!!
@WSWFC great idea Coach!!!
03/16/2020 7:44:24 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Beaudreau_Mike Maybe the Atlanta Track Club can help come up with a meet or two. Those guys are terrific at that type of event.
@Beaudreau_Mike
Maybe the Atlanta Track Club can help come up with a meet or two. Those guys are terrific at that type of event.
03/16/2020 9:10:03 PM
Coach
I am planning to host some all comers once the dust settles. It may be in the Summer, who knows. But I want the kids to get some verified times. If nothing else I'll have our timing system up. I'll keep everyone posted!
I am planning to host some all comers once the dust settles. It may be in the Summer, who knows. But I want the kids to get some verified times. If nothing else I'll have our timing system up. I'll keep everyone posted!
03/16/2020 9:15:32 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachHoughton keep the faith Coach. Let's see how the next couple of weeks go. Believe me, we have spent quite a bit of time hashing out possibilities depending on the scenario we are facing at that moment. I will definitely keep you posted and it helps you could hopefully host one of the meets. Thank you for staying plugged in Coach. Mike
@CoachHoughton keep the faith Coach. Let's see how the next couple of weeks go. Believe me, we have spent quite a bit of time hashing out possibilities depending on the scenario we are facing at that moment. I will definitely keep you posted and it helps you could hopefully host one of the meets. Thank you for staying plugged in Coach.

Mike
03/16/2020 9:43:03 PM
Coach
@Beaudreau_Mike I am keeping the faith- what I meant is that I'm gonna at least let some of the kids get a FAT time, even if its at a practice. Just hoping for the best. Uncharted waters!
@Beaudreau_Mike
I am keeping the faith-
what I meant is that I'm gonna at least let some of the kids get a FAT time, even if its at a practice. Just hoping for the best. Uncharted waters!
03/17/2020 5:27:02 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachHoughton Please let me know what I can do to help
@CoachHoughton
Please let me know what I can do to help
03/17/2020 9:59:11 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Mike Beaudreau is my neighbor. My claim to fame. I like Mike!
Mike Beaudreau is my neighbor.
My claim to fame.

I like Mike!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.