Proposal for GHSA T&F Sub-Committee & Executive Committee
03/10/2020 8:43:22 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
The following link will take you to a proposal being presented to the GHSA in April. The link contains both the proposal and the rational behind the proposal. [url=https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XY6lNyeNfh0Ay9CmblVXZEUjYkVuwwYw/view]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XY6lNyeNfh0Ay9CmblVXZEUjYkVuwwYw/view[/url] Please read the proposal fully and consider the broader implications for our sport and not just how it applies to your situation personally.
The following link will take you to a proposal being presented to the GHSA in April. The link contains both the proposal and the rational behind the proposal.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XY6lNyeNfh0Ay9CmblVXZEUjYkVuwwYw/view

Please read the proposal fully and consider the broader implications for our sport and not just how it applies to your situation personally.
03/11/2020 10:33:59 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@goldeneaglexc This is awesome. Very well done. Great rationale & very well organized and easy to understand. This will be GREAT for track & field in Georgia!
@goldeneaglexc This is awesome. Very well done. Great rationale & very well organized and easy to understand. This will be GREAT for track & field in Georgia!
03/11/2020 10:47:28 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Thanks Chris, the GHSA advisory committee is a sharp group of people who are sincerely interested in improving the sports of cross country and track and field in Georgia.
Thanks Chris, the GHSA advisory committee is a sharp group of people who are sincerely interested in improving the sports of cross country and track and field in Georgia.
03/11/2020 12:32:54 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
I absolutely love everything about this proposal. I hope it passes. But I do have one question. Do you know what the plan will be for order of events if it passes? That could make a major difference. For example a kid who wants to do the 100-200-400 triple basically has an impossible task with our current order of events. It seems more possible for a kid attempting the 16-8-32 triple though. I was surprised when I saw the recommended order of events per the NFHS rule book: 4x800m relay 100/100m hurdles 100m dash 4x200m relay 1600m 4x100m relay 400m dash 300m hurdles 800m run 200m dash 3200m run 4x400m relay Obviously this proposal isn't asking for us to add the 4x200 (hopefully we do in the future, just my opinion) but that order of events makes more sense to me in terms of kids trying to triple/quadruple in running events overall. It's not perfect, and the 16/8/32 triple does get harder. But it seems to make more sense. Also, the 4x8/16/8/4x4 quadruple is far easier in that scenario than it is if we just put the 4x8 before the 4x1 in our current order of events. My guess is there would be alot of kids wanting to do the 4x8/16/8 triple at least.
I absolutely love everything about this proposal. I hope it passes.

But I do have one question. Do you know what the plan will be for order of events if it passes? That could make a major difference. For example a kid who wants to do the 100-200-400 triple basically has an impossible task with our current order of events. It seems more possible for a kid attempting the 16-8-32 triple though. I was surprised when I saw the recommended order of events per the NFHS rule book:

4x800m relay
100/100m hurdles
100m dash
4x200m relay
1600m
4x100m relay
400m dash
300m hurdles
800m run
200m dash
3200m run
4x400m relay

Obviously this proposal isn't asking for us to add the 4x200 (hopefully we do in the future, just my opinion) but that order of events makes more sense to me in terms of kids trying to triple/quadruple in running events overall. It's not perfect, and the 16/8/32 triple does get harder. But it seems to make more sense. Also, the 4x8/16/8/4x4 quadruple is far easier in that scenario than it is if we just put the 4x8 before the 4x1 in our current order of events. My guess is there would be alot of kids wanting to do the 4x8/16/8 triple at least.
03/11/2020 1:07:23 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@spxcoachrm The idea is to align with the NFHS order of events. With good enough reason, I believe a state meet site could vary from that order.
@spxcoachrm
The idea is to align with the NFHS order of events. With good enough reason, I believe a state meet site could vary from that order.
03/12/2020 11:06:52 AM
Power User
@spxcoachrm The order you listed above is the order we used in NC during my time there year's ago. I have no knowledge of anything being discussed about that part other than I imagine since we are looking to finally comply with NFHS standards, that schedule would be the one to use. There are a lot of kids who triple in their event areas--400/100/200 and 1600/800/3200 in the states that use this schedule.
@spxcoachrm

The order you listed above is the order we used in NC during my time there year's ago. I have no knowledge of anything being discussed about that part other than I imagine since we are looking to finally comply with NFHS standards, that schedule would be the one to use.

There are a lot of kids who triple in their event areas--400/100/200 and 1600/800/3200 in the states that use this schedule.
03/13/2020 12:16:27 AM
User
Is this a package deal? I.e., they cast one vote (up or down) to adopt or reject all four? Or will each one be a separate proposal to be voted on individually? It seems to me that all the 1st, 2nd, and 4th are pretty much stand-alone on their own merits, with 3 sort of linked in terms of the rationale to the 1st and 2nd (and maybe the 4th?).
Is this a package deal? I.e., they cast one vote (up or down) to adopt or reject all four? Or will each one be a separate proposal to be voted on individually?

It seems to me that all the 1st, 2nd, and 4th are pretty much stand-alone on their own merits, with 3 sort of linked in terms of the rationale to the 1st and 2nd (and maybe the 4th?).
03/13/2020 5:46:49 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Divalent all or nothing
@Divalent all or nothing
03/13/2020 7:22:10 AM
Coach
I like it.
I like it.
03/15/2020 11:50:31 AM
User
@goldeneaglexc I don’t understand the rationale for only one relay team in a state qualifying meet. If a school has two teams faster than the rest in their region, isn’t only fair that that B team has the chance to move on as well?
@goldeneaglexc
I don't understand the rationale for only one relay team in a state qualifying meet. If a school has two teams faster than the rest in their region, isn't only fair that that B team has the chance to move on as well?
03/15/2020 12:25:43 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Ssjailen One major effort in this proposal is to align our state's track and field event and entry rules with the NFHS and border states. I am copying and pasting this from the proposal. I think it explains it better than I can. 47 out of 51 State Associations allow only one relay team at State Meet Qualifying meets. ● Neighboring states AL, FL, NC, SC, TN allow only one relay team at State Meet Qualifying meets. ● Only 8 out of all GHSA 256 State Meet scoring relay teams were B-Teams for the 2019 GHSA Track season. ● Three (3) potential scorers in individual events offsets the potential loss of B-Team relay points. ● Relays with eight (8) potential participants make an entire State Meet series relay list of athletes available. ○ It provides enough relay alternates for teams to be able to compete in relay events throughout the State Meet Series in case of injury or other schedule conflicts (standardized testing, graduation, prom, etc). ○ An example: An athlete competing in 4 individual events at the Area/Region meet would be ineligible to run on a relay at the Area/Region meet. However, should that athlete advance in only three (3) individual events, that athlete would be eligible to compete as one of a relay’s eight (8) participants at the Sectional Meet and/or State Meet. ● Meet Management issues are eliminated when dealing with two sets of relay participants and the potential of an athlete running illegally on the wrong relay team, resulting in disqualification.
@Ssjailen
One major effort in this proposal is to align our state's track and field event and entry rules with the NFHS and border states. I am copying and pasting this from the proposal. I think it explains it better than I can.

47 out of 51 State Associations allow only one relay team at State Meet Qualifying meets.
● Neighboring states AL, FL, NC, SC, TN allow only one relay team at State Meet Qualifying
meets.
● Only 8 out of all GHSA 256 State Meet scoring relay teams were B-Teams for the 2019 GHSA
Track season.
● Three (3) potential scorers in individual events offsets the potential loss of B-Team relay
points.
● Relays with eight (8) potential participants make an entire State Meet series relay list of
athletes available.
○ It provides enough relay alternates for teams to be able to compete in relay events
throughout the State Meet Series in case of injury or other schedule conflicts
(standardized testing, graduation, prom, etc).
○ An example: An athlete competing in 4 individual events at the Area/Region meet would
be ineligible to run on a relay at the Area/Region meet. However, should that athlete
advance in only three (3) individual events, that athlete would be eligible to compete as
one of a relay's eight (8) participants at the Sectional Meet and/or State Meet.
● Meet Management issues are eliminated when dealing with two sets of relay participants
and the potential of an athlete running illegally on the wrong relay team, resulting in
disqualification.
03/15/2020 4:05:16 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@goldeneaglexc Just to stir the pot - Why weren’t we aligned with NFHS in the first place? And if alignment with NFHS is the goal why not align all the way by adding a 4x2? I love the proposal btw
@goldeneaglexc

Just to stir the pot - Why weren't we aligned with NFHS in the first place? And if alignment with NFHS is the goal why not align all the way by adding a 4x2?

I love the proposal btw
03/15/2020 6:45:13 PM
Power User
@Ssjailen My question to you is where else do you see a B team in track and field? I see it on normal meets, but I'm talking about college, pro, etc? In my mind B teams are great during the season so kids can work and get better, but isn't a B team essentially your JV team? Think if the USA team could put a B team for the Olympics! The addition of a third individual per event per team will help some of those "B" team kids find that spot to compete at the Region and State meets. Also, the path that we are hopefully headed adds the 4x800 as an event. Those 4x400 B team kids could be your 4x800 A team! Eventually if we do align with NFHS we would add the 4x200, so wouldn't that be a spot for some of those B team 4x100 kids?
@Ssjailen My question to you is where else do you see a B team in track and field? I see it on normal meets, but I'm talking about college, pro, etc? In my mind B teams are great during the season so kids can work and get better, but isn't a B team essentially your JV team? Think if the USA team could put a B team for the Olympics! The addition of a third individual per event per team will help some of those "B" team kids find that spot to compete at the Region and State meets. Also, the path that we are hopefully headed adds the 4x800 as an event. Those 4x400 B team kids could be your 4x800 A team! Eventually if we do align with NFHS we would add the 4x200, so wouldn't that be a spot for some of those B team 4x100 kids?
03/16/2020 9:04:17 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Ssjailen There are other positives to this, too. I have seen coaches firsthand attempt to secretly move B team athletes up to A team (once B didn't qualify / a kid on A got hurt / etc.) assuming they wouldn't get caught. Well, sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. Unless an opposing coach truly knows that team, it would be pretty easy for someone to get away with this. With this proposal, ANY of the 8 names listed can compete. It simplifies and, honestly, cleans up the sport.
@Ssjailen

There are other positives to this, too. I have seen coaches firsthand attempt to secretly move B team athletes up to A team (once B didn't qualify / a kid on A got hurt / etc.) assuming they wouldn't get caught. Well, sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. Unless an opposing coach truly knows that team, it would be pretty easy for someone to get away with this. With this proposal, ANY of the 8 names listed can compete. It simplifies and, honestly, cleans up the sport.
04/07/2020 1:26:41 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Will this proposal still be up for vote in April? Or postponed due to Coronavirus?
Will this proposal still be up for vote in April? Or postponed due to Coronavirus?
04/07/2020 3:11:10 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@TeamWish The GHSA has postponed the entire meeting. A date has yet to be set.
@TeamWish The GHSA has postponed the entire meeting. A date has yet to be set.
04/10/2020 12:07:55 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I do not like the order because most kids run the 400 run 300-meter hurdles that races back-to-back no you have to move to 4 by 2 and the 400 switch places
I do not like the order because most kids run the 400 run 300-meter hurdles that races back-to-back no you have to move to 4 by 2 and the 400 switch places
04/10/2020 12:19:09 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Here we go again in the finals the 1600 meter run and a 3200 meter race is it going to be running on the final day are on field event dates
Here we go again in the finals the 1600 meter run and a 3200 meter race is it going to be running on the final day are on field event dates
04/10/2020 12:34:30 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
04/10/2020 12:34:30 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.