JV MATTERS
08/09/2019 2:58:24 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
At Lambert River Run a couple of years ago, as they were announcing JV team scores and handing out the JV team winner award, I overheard a young runner near me say, almost sadly, "yeah, we matter". As we put on meets, especially larger ones, let's remember to treat the JV races like real team competitions, announce the team scores and when possible have JV team awards. Just because all of our competitions happen in the same venue on the same day, doesn't mean JV team scores and results should matter less. Certainly in other high school sports (baseball, football, basketball, volleyball, soccer, etc) when JV teams compete they keep score and athletes and parents are interested in the outcome. As coaches, we all hope to inspire every member of our team and encourage them to try to be their best. One way to help us show all our runners that "they matter" and to give them a greater sense of purpose and contribution to the team is to acknowledge their accomplishments and not make JV cross country runners feel like they aren't valuable if they don't make the top 7. Food for thought.
At Lambert River Run a couple of years ago, as they were announcing JV team scores and handing out the JV team winner award, I overheard a young runner near me say, almost sadly, "yeah, we matter".

As we put on meets, especially larger ones, let's remember to treat the JV races like real team competitions, announce the team scores and when possible have JV team awards. Just because all of our competitions happen in the same venue on the same day, doesn't mean JV team scores and results should matter less. Certainly in other high school sports (baseball, football, basketball, volleyball, soccer, etc) when JV teams compete they keep score and athletes and parents are interested in the outcome.

As coaches, we all hope to inspire every member of our team and encourage them to try to be their best. One way to help us show all our runners that "they matter" and to give them a greater sense of purpose and contribution to the team is to acknowledge their accomplishments and not make JV cross country runners feel like they aren't valuable if they don't make the top 7.

Food for thought.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.