Can 8th Graders not run in varsity races?
09/08/2018 9:10:44 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Is there a new rule in GA than [b]MANDATES[/b] an 8th grader compete in JH or MS instead of Varsity? There was an Alabama girl who competes on her varsity team yanked off the line today in a GA meet because she is in the 8th grade. Just looking for some information. Meet was the BullDog Distance Classic in Forsyth. No results posted for me to refer to. Working on my Individual Rankings for Al.MileSplit and need to find out what happened before I can complete them.
Is there a new rule in GA than MANDATES an 8th grader compete in JH or MS instead of Varsity? There was an Alabama girl who competes on her varsity team yanked off the line today in a GA meet because she is in the 8th grade. Just looking for some information.

Meet was the BullDog Distance Classic in Forsyth. No results posted for me to refer to. Working on my Individual Rankings for Al.MileSplit and need to find out what happened before I can complete them.
09/08/2018 9:22:07 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[url=https://www.ghsa.net/constitution]GHSA Constitution and By-Laws[/url] Rule 1.45(a) seems to indicate that 8th grade students are not eligible for varsity events. 1.45 Eighth grade students may participate on a sub-varsity team of a high school provided they attend a feeder school of that high school. [b](a) Students in grade 8 are never eligible for a varsity event in any activity.[/b] (b) Eighth grade students who play on a high school team must meet all middle school requirements as put forth by the State Department of Education. (c) An eighth grade student who is declared ineligible at a middle school or retained for academic reasons, is considered to be ineligible for participation on a sub-varsity high school team. (d) Eighth grade students participating on a sub-varsity team may only participate in 60% of the number of games allotted to the varsity team in that sport. (e) Students below the eighth grade are not eligible to participate on any high school team. (f) Students enrolled in grade 8 in a middle school or junior high school which is a feeder school to the member high school may participate in Spring football practice. (g) Students enrolled in grade 8 in a middle school or junior high school which is a feeder school to the member high school may try out for cheerleader at the high school. Eighth grade students at a non-feeder school that has no system high school may participate in cheerleader tryouts at the member high school serving the student’s area of residence. Such a student must be pre-enrolled at that member high school, and once pre-enrolled, the student has established eligibility at that high school. (h) All eighth grade students should be reported on Eligibility Form D. This form is available on the GHSA web site (www.ghsa.net).
GHSA Constitution and By-Laws Rule 1.45(a) seems to indicate that 8th grade students are not eligible for varsity events.

1.45 Eighth grade students may participate on a sub-varsity team of a high school provided they attend a feeder school of that high school.
(a) Students in grade 8 are never eligible for a varsity event in any activity.
(b) Eighth grade students who play on a high school team must meet all middle school requirements as put forth by the State Department of Education.
(c) An eighth grade student who is declared ineligible at a middle school or retained for academic reasons, is considered to be ineligible for participation on a sub-varsity high school team.
(d) Eighth grade students participating on a sub-varsity team may only participate in 60% of the number of games allotted to the varsity team in that sport.
(e) Students below the eighth grade are not eligible to participate on any high school team.
(f) Students enrolled in grade 8 in a middle school or junior high school which is a feeder school to the member high school may participate in Spring football practice.
(g) Students enrolled in grade 8 in a middle school or junior high school which is a feeder school to the member high school may try out for cheerleader at the high school. Eighth grade students at a non-feeder school that has no system high school may participate in cheerleader tryouts at the member high school serving the student's area of residence. Such a student must be pre-enrolled at that member high school, and once pre-enrolled, the student has established eligibility at that high school.
(h) All eighth grade students should be reported on Eligibility Form D. This form is available on the GHSA web site (www.ghsa.net).
09/08/2018 9:24:20 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
The rule isn't new. It has been around for as long as I can remember. 8th graders may compete on sub varsity teams or in sub varsity events. Here is the wording from the GHSA white book - 1.45 Eighth grade students may participate on a sub-varsity team of a high school provided they attend a feeder school of that high school. (a) Students in grade 8 are never eligible for a varsity event in any activity. Meet management was correct in not allowing the athlete to run.
The rule isn't new. It has been around for as long as I can remember. 8th graders may compete on sub varsity teams or in sub varsity events. Here is the wording from the GHSA white book -
1.45 Eighth grade students may participate on a sub-varsity team of a high school provided they attend a feeder school of that high school.
(a) Students in grade 8 are never eligible for a varsity event in any activity.

Meet management was correct in not allowing the athlete to run.
09/08/2018 9:25:26 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@AlphaCrush Thanks. That answers the question.
@AlphaCrush Thanks. That answers the question.
09/08/2018 9:27:31 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@goldeneaglexc it must never be enforced then. I traveled with my own team and ran 8th graders all over GA....and won major meets in the process. No one ever mentioned it. Today is the first I've ever heard of it. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up on the rule. I'll keep it in mind this week for rankings.
@goldeneaglexc it must never be enforced then. I traveled with my own team and ran 8th graders all over GA....and won major meets in the process. No one ever mentioned it. Today is the first I've ever heard of it. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up on the rule. I'll keep it in mind this week for rankings.
09/08/2018 9:36:55 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@loremtr I wouldn't say it is never enforced. I have enforced it at my meets and I know other meet directors that enforce it. However, you are correct in that it often isn't enforced. Some just don't know. Some don't care. Others think because the Alabama association allows it that Alabama teams run under that rule. In many instance it is just hard to enforce since the milesplit meet management portal doesn't list year of graduation under the "entries" or "athletes" tabs and even if it did they aren't always accurate. It is basically the the honor system.
@loremtr I wouldn't say it is never enforced. I have enforced it at my meets and I know other meet directors that enforce it. However, you are correct in that it often isn't enforced.
Some just don't know. Some don't care. Others think because the Alabama association allows it that Alabama teams run under that rule. In many instance it is just hard to enforce since the milesplit meet management portal doesn't list year of graduation under the "entries" or "athletes" tabs and even if it did they aren't always accurate. It is basically the the honor system.
09/09/2018 6:32:30 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It is like when GISA schools run in GHSA events, they have to play by GHSA rules, which means no 8th graders in Varsity events.
It is like when GISA schools run in GHSA events, they have to play by GHSA rules, which means no 8th graders in Varsity events.
09/09/2018 12:32:50 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Tennessee allows 8th graders in varsity sports as well
Tennessee allows 8th graders in varsity sports as well

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.