Inappropriate article
05/02/2018 8:08:21 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
The article on the front page about the kid from Florida should be deleted. This isn't what I come to Milesplit for.
The article on the front page about the kid from Florida should be deleted. This isn't what I come to Milesplit for.
05/02/2018 10:35:32 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@GACARTER I think it's automatically placed there by Flotrack who is covering this story and owns Milesplit. There's a lot that has gone wrong with Milesplit since Flotrack bought them.
@GACARTER
I think it's automatically placed there by Flotrack who is covering this story and owns Milesplit. There's a lot that has gone wrong with Milesplit since Flotrack bought them.
05/02/2018 12:58:19 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Playing devil's advocate/things to discuss: Is he 18? Is he a relevant figure in track & field in the U.S. right now? Did the article proclaim his guilt or innocence? It isn't a happy news article, but it is news and was picked up by many other websites.
Playing devil's advocate/things to discuss:

Is he 18?

Is he a relevant figure in track & field in the U.S. right now?

Did the article proclaim his guilt or innocence?

It isn't a happy news article, but it is news and was picked up by many other websites.
05/02/2018 3:20:50 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Heard the rumor, and then went to us.milesplit to see if I could find the facts. Found the facts. Now back to preparing my athletes for their State meet.
Heard the rumor, and then went to us.milesplit to see if I could find the facts. Found the facts. Now back to preparing my athletes for their State meet.
05/02/2018 8:44:41 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Milesplit is where I go for high school track news and I’m fine with them covering it.
Milesplit is where I go for high school track news and I'm fine with them covering it.
05/03/2018 8:00:35 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=tlgcc1]Playing devil's advocate.[/quote] Devil's advocate? Ha! I get it! I'm not saying it's not legal, or anything. It just seems like this is an entirely different article than the type that Milesplit/Flotrack normally puts out there. Also, the message boards are supposed to be nice and positive and not say negative things about coaches & athletes, but the article on the main page of all Milesplit sites is about a high school kid getting arrested? Also, he's a high school kid who's been charged, not convicted. If this signals a shift in the content that Milesplit is going to post, then I'm not interested. If I wanted to read articles convincing me that the world is going to hell in a handbasket, I'll read the AJC.
lgcc1 wrote:
Playing devil's advocate.

Devil's advocate? Ha! I get it!

I'm not saying it's not legal, or anything. It just seems like this is an entirely different article than the type that Milesplit/Flotrack normally puts out there. Also, the message boards are supposed to be nice and positive and not say negative things about coaches & athletes, but the article on the main page of all Milesplit sites is about a high school kid getting arrested? Also, he's a high school kid who's been charged, not convicted.

If this signals a shift in the content that Milesplit is going to post, then I'm not interested. If I wanted to read articles convincing me that the world is going to hell in a handbasket, I'll read the AJC.
05/03/2018 9:13:52 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
When one of the nations top HS track athletes randomly stops competing, everyone will look for the reason why. While the situations are different it's the similar to the story that was posted about Brian Herron not running the High School season due to falling out with the Lakeside Dekalb. That's a personal story, albeit less drastic, but now we all know why we won't be seeing him at the state meet. Same goes for Tyrese. It is news about a national leading HS athlete, positive or negative, Milesplit should be reporting it. As long as it is true journalism and sharing only facts not opinions, why would they not report it?
When one of the nations top HS track athletes randomly stops competing, everyone will look for the reason why. While the situations are different it's the similar to the story that was posted about Brian Herron not running the High School season due to falling out with the Lakeside Dekalb. That's a personal story, albeit less drastic, but now we all know why we won't be seeing him at the state meet. Same goes for Tyrese.

It is news about a national leading HS athlete, positive or negative, Milesplit should be reporting it. As long as it is true journalism and sharing only facts not opinions, why would they not report it?
05/03/2018 10:21:42 AM
Power User
Compared with "Here are the top 500 sophomore discus throwers whose last names begin with the letters S through Z and who live in states whose names only having two syllables", I'd much rather read a story like this one.
Compared with "Here are the top 500 sophomore discus throwers whose last names begin with the letters S through Z and who live in states whose names only having two syllables", I'd much rather read a story like this one.
05/03/2018 11:02:46 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Or I click on 6A virtual meet for XC and it takes me to the Montana mile split page
Or I click on 6A virtual meet for XC and it takes me to the Montana mile split page
05/03/2018 2:28:26 PM
Power User
@trailcat Who did it have winning?
@trailcat

Who did it have winning?
05/03/2018 2:31:30 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@ParkviewTrack I didn't even look. It wasn't Georgias page
@ParkviewTrack I didn't even look. It wasn't Georgias page
05/04/2018 10:59:28 AM
Power User
@trailcat Disappointing. I am always curious about Montana running.
@trailcat

Disappointing. I am always curious about Montana running.
05/04/2018 11:25:52 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@ParkviewTrack Don't go looking for answers on their discussion board... http://mt.milesplit.com/discussion/local
@ParkviewTrack

Don't go looking for answers on their discussion board...

http://mt.milesplit.com/discussion/local
05/04/2018 12:55:33 PM
Power User
@spxcoachrm ONE PAGE?!?!?! Wow...how do they survive! lol
@spxcoachrm ONE PAGE?!?!?! Wow...how do they survive! lol
05/04/2018 1:26:55 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=etomas12]When one of the nations top HS track athletes randomly stops competing, everyone will look for the reason why. While the situations are different it's the similar to the story that was posted about Brian Herron not running the High School season due to falling out with the Lakeside Dekalb. That's a personal story, albeit less drastic, but now we all know why we won't be seeing him at the state meet. Same goes for Tyrese. It is news about a national leading HS athlete, positive or negative, Milesplit should be reporting it. As long as it is true journalism and sharing only facts not opinions, why would they not report it?[/quote] @etomas12 I agree. As long as it sticks to the facts then I am okay with it. I think it is a very good chance for us as coaches to use it as a talking/teaching point for us with our teams to discuss how important it is to make sure you are careful about the people who you surround yourself with and how one bad decision can drastically affect your life. If we were only to report on the good things then we are setting our athletes up to believe that life is always great and nothing bad ever happens. Life can be rough. People make mistakes. Uncle Ben from Spiderman says it best, "With great power comes great responsibility." When you have that kind of talent you are going to be under a different kind of pressure and scrutiny.
mas12 wrote:
When one of the nations top HS track athletes randomly stops competing, everyone will look for the reason why. While the situations are different it's the similar to the story that was posted about Brian Herron not running the High School season due to falling out with the Lakeside Dekalb. That's a personal story, albeit less drastic, but now we all know why we won't be seeing him at the state meet. Same goes for Tyrese.

It is news about a national leading HS athlete, positive or negative, Milesplit should be reporting it. As long as it is true journalism and sharing only facts not opinions, why would they not report it?

@etomas12 I agree. As long as it sticks to the facts then I am okay with it. I think it is a very good chance for us as coaches to use it as a talking/teaching point for us with our teams to discuss how important it is to make sure you are careful about the people who you surround yourself with and how one bad decision can drastically affect your life.

If we were only to report on the good things then we are setting our athletes up to believe that life is always great and nothing bad ever happens. Life can be rough. People make mistakes. Uncle Ben from Spiderman says it best, "With great power comes great responsibility." When you have that kind of talent you are going to be under a different kind of pressure and scrutiny.
05/04/2018 10:28:38 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@xcnewbee I don't believe they have a webmaster...
@xcnewbee I don't believe they have a webmaster...
05/05/2018 9:44:05 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Just imagine if they could do a virtual state meet for Georgia with only athletes that will be at State! That would be awesome! Yet when they come out, it will be with kids that aren't even there if the team has one person in it..
Just imagine if they could do a virtual state meet for Georgia with only athletes that will be at State! That would be awesome! Yet when they come out, it will be with kids that aren't even there if the team has one person in it..
05/05/2018 8:00:23 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
We are going to do Virtual meets, but they will be based solely on Sectionals except for Class A. We all realize many of the distance runners just ran to Q', which will skew the results a bit. But if based off Region meets, there will maybe alot of athletes in the results who did not Q' for whatever reasons (especially sprints and relays.
We are going to do Virtual meets, but they will be based solely on Sectionals except for Class A. We all realize many of the distance runners just ran to Q', which will skew the results a bit. But if based off Region meets, there will maybe alot of athletes in the results who did not Q' for whatever reasons (especially sprints and relays.
05/05/2018 9:34:04 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Maybe a bit skewed but still worth seeing!!
Maybe a bit skewed but still worth seeing!!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.