Riverside Indoor Meet and the Future of Indoor Track in GA
01/22/2017 2:13:22 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Today, was a glorious glimpse, to what could be, if the Track Community, State of Georgia, RMA, Coaches Asscociation, GHSA, USATF GA, Atlanta Track Club, and especially, our great Georgia Olympic Medalists and athletes, band together, to help transform this facility and make this a reality for the future of the Sport, for athletes from Clubs, MS, HS and Collegiate, to have a venue to propel our very talented state, to the the top in the Nation. Now is the the time to come together in harmony,and make this happen. More to come..
Today, was a glorious glimpse, to what could be, if the Track Community, State of Georgia, RMA, Coaches Asscociation, GHSA, USATF GA, Atlanta Track Club, and especially, our great Georgia Olympic Medalists and athletes, band together, to help transform this facility and make this a reality for the future of the Sport, for athletes from Clubs, MS, HS and Collegiate, to have a venue to propel our very talented state, to the the top in the Nation. Now is the the time to come together in harmony,and make this happen. More to come..
01/22/2017 7:14:52 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I agree ☝️. I believe it could be a good thing but it seems there is some dissent amongst coaches to an outsider just perusing our forums. Why not all band together?
I agree ☝️. I believe it could be a good thing but it seems there is some dissent amongst coaches to an outsider just perusing our forums. Why not all band together?
01/23/2017 8:00:00 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@gawebmaster Bruce, wow. I don't know what to say. I can't believe I'm getting grief for trying to make sure the rules are followed. I applaud you, Tim, and the RMA staff for making this meet happen. But I don't applaud the way it happened. Even if Jay did in fact give you permission to break the rules and allow unattached athletes in this meet, I don't believe for one second he gave you permission to allow a club team to compete made up of athletes from different schools. I know for a fact that is prohibited - ""House teams” made up of athletes from various schools competing in a GHSA event are not considered to be unattached competitors and are illegal." If Jay believes that club teams are allowed in GHSA events, then we have a bigger problem. Also, you guys were specifically asked by a coach if one of his athletes was competing. You never responded. And that's the big problem with letting kids compete unattached. Coaches should know what their kids are doing during the season and hopefully not getting the coach into trouble. Providing them an opportunity to go Rogue is not good for the sport or the athlete. It's a very bad slippery slope that I strongly believe you shouldn't go down. I hope there will not be any more meets with unattached athletes. And I REALLY hope we don't see any of the unattached athletes from your meet in Birmingham this weekend showing that being unattached was just their way of getting around the rules.
@gawebmaster

Bruce, wow. I don't know what to say. I can't believe I'm getting grief for trying to make sure the rules are followed. I applaud you, Tim, and the RMA staff for making this meet happen. But I don't applaud the way it happened.

Even if Jay did in fact give you permission to break the rules and allow unattached athletes in this meet, I don't believe for one second he gave you permission to allow a club team to compete made up of athletes from different schools. I know for a fact that is prohibited - ""House teams" made up of athletes from various schools competing in a GHSA event are not considered to be unattached competitors and are illegal." If Jay believes that club teams are allowed in GHSA events, then we have a bigger problem.

Also, you guys were specifically asked by a coach if one of his athletes was competing. You never responded. And that's the big problem with letting kids compete unattached. Coaches should know what their kids are doing during the season and hopefully not getting the coach into trouble. Providing them an opportunity to go Rogue is not good for the sport or the athlete. It's a very bad slippery slope that I strongly believe you shouldn't go down. I hope there will not be any more meets with unattached athletes. And I REALLY hope we don't see any of the unattached athletes from your meet in Birmingham this weekend showing that being unattached was just their way of getting around the rules.
01/23/2017 5:54:30 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@spxcoachrm it was my fault, that I listed them as 'Middle Ga Magic'. as they were unattached, we were handed a list of entries for them right before the meet began and made the mistake of listing them as a team in our haste to add them.
@spxcoachrm it was my fault, that I listed them as 'Middle Ga Magic'. as they were unattached, we were handed a list of entries for them right before the meet began and made the mistake of listing them as a team in our haste to add them.
01/25/2017 7:27:02 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I realized a few things about this meet, which I'm sure was great. Also, I'm starting from the standpoint that all i's were crossed and all t's were dotted regarding legality, eligibility, etc. - GHSA rules already allow 1 indoor meet that occurs between the 1st practice date & 1st competition date. If the meet falls within those dates, it does not count against the maximum allowable meets that a team can schedule (unless I'm reading the rules wrong). So, coaches who had athletes race here legally don't have to worry about that, I don't think (someone should check me on that). - I would think there should have been a lot of uniform violations/DQs. I wasn't there, but I'm guessing that some unattached athletes did not run in a school-issued uniform? They should've been warned at the clerk & then DQed after they raced, if they didn't fix the uniform issue. Again, I wasn't there. So, I don't know. - NFHS rules (again, unless I'm mistaken) allow for meet results that involve ineligible athletes to be protested at any time, there is no time limit. So, I'd think that a coach who was there could protest those results with the meet director, all ineligible athletes DQed, new meet results published, and a lot of this could be kind of fixed. I have no idea what the conversation was between the Meet Director & the GHSA. But, if I was a coach who legally brought my kids there under the assurance from the meet director that the meet was sanctioned, any other issues are on meet management. I can't pull my kids from the starting line of a race if I think there may be a club team or unattached kid in that race. I know that it was posted on here that club athletes could compete. But, the number of coaches who visit this message board is small. So, there were probably a few who had no idea until they got there (and still have no idea there there was maybe even an issue). I also think it's hilarious that on these boards there have been many posts complaining about over-regulation by the GHSA, and now I've read that the GHSA lied & broke their own rules. Funniest thing I've read on here, by far! Also, are unattached athletes an actual rule violation? I actually do not know. If a kid is listed as "unattached", but he's eligible, that meet is counted against his individual & team maximum, runs as a member of his team, and is in all other ways legal, can that kid compete? I guess what I mean is if, due to computer-entry quirks, a kid is listed as "unattached" in meet results, is that a violation? I'm legitimately asking. Carter *I don't mean this post to ruffle anyone's feathers. Just trying to allay some fears regarding meet limits & post some possible solutions.
I realized a few things about this meet, which I'm sure was great. Also, I'm starting from the standpoint that all i's were crossed and all t's were dotted regarding legality, eligibility, etc.

* GHSA rules already allow 1 indoor meet that occurs between the 1st practice date & 1st competition date. If the meet falls within those dates, it does not count against the maximum allowable meets that a team can schedule (unless I'm reading the rules wrong). So, coaches who had athletes race here legally don't have to worry about that, I don't think (someone should check me on that).

* I would think there should have been a lot of uniform violations/DQs. I wasn't there, but I'm guessing that some unattached athletes did not run in a school-issued uniform? They should've been warned at the clerk & then DQed after they raced, if they didn't fix the uniform issue. Again, I wasn't there. So, I don't know.

* NFHS rules (again, unless I'm mistaken) allow for meet results that involve ineligible athletes to be protested at any time, there is no time limit. So, I'd think that a coach who was there could protest those results with the meet director, all ineligible athletes DQed, new meet results published, and a lot of this could be kind of fixed.

I have no idea what the conversation was between the Meet Director & the GHSA. But, if I was a coach who legally brought my kids there under the assurance from the meet director that the meet was sanctioned, any other issues are on meet management. I can't pull my kids from the starting line of a race if I think there may be a club team or unattached kid in that race. I know that it was posted on here that club athletes could compete. But, the number of coaches who visit this message board is small. So, there were probably a few who had no idea until they got there (and still have no idea there there was maybe even an issue). I also think it's hilarious that on these boards there have been many posts complaining about over-regulation by the GHSA, and now I've read that the GHSA lied & broke their own rules. Funniest thing I've read on here, by far!

Also, are unattached athletes an actual rule violation? I actually do not know. If a kid is listed as "unattached", but he's eligible, that meet is counted against his individual & team maximum, runs as a member of his team, and is in all other ways legal, can that kid compete? I guess what I mean is if, due to computer-entry quirks, a kid is listed as "unattached" in meet results, is that a violation? I'm legitimately asking.

Carter

*I don't mean this post to ruffle anyone's feathers. Just trying to allay some fears regarding meet limits & post some possible solutions.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.