North Georgia Championships @ Lamar Murphy 2016
08/25/2016 9:53:33 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Do we know whether the Varsity and Championship races will be merged or not?
Do we know whether the Varsity and Championship races will be merged or not?
08/25/2016 10:30:32 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
yes, here is the new schedule: 8:00 championship b (10 entries) 8:25 championship g (10 entries) 9:00 jv boys (unlimited) 9:30 jv g (unlimited) 10:00 ms b 3000 (Unlimited) 10:30 ms g 3000 (unlimited)
yes, here is the new schedule:

8:00 championship b (10 entries)
8:25 championship g (10 entries)
9:00 jv boys (unlimited)
9:30 jv g (unlimited)
10:00 ms b 3000 (Unlimited)
10:30 ms g 3000 (unlimited)
08/26/2016 8:37:08 AM
Coach
@gawebmaster If we entered athletes in the Varsity race but not Championship will those entries be rolled into the race? My Varsity entries are not showing any more online. Thanks -Update: Never mind I was able to re-enter them in Champion race.
@gawebmaster If we entered athletes in the Varsity race but not Championship will those entries be rolled into the race? My Varsity entries are not showing any more online.
Thanks

-Update: Never mind I was able to re-enter them in Champion race.
08/27/2016 5:04:58 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I did not receive notice of this change!!!!!!
I did not receive notice of this change!!!!!!
08/28/2016 12:12:31 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@gawebmaster 14:57? 5k?? 15:57 seems more likely, timing error? Course length?? Short?? Some coaches have told me this is not a true 5k and should be adjusted accordingly (3-mile)...here we go again!
@gawebmaster
14:57? 5k??
15:57 seems more likely, timing error?
Course length?? Short??
Some coaches have told me this is not a true 5k and should be adjusted accordingly (3-mile)...here we go again!
08/28/2016 12:33:33 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I couldn't see the clock from the team area but he had a huge lead so unless all the other times are off too that seems about right.
I couldn't see the clock from the team area but he had a huge lead so unless all the other times are off too that seems about right.
08/28/2016 1:44:22 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
For Chase to run 1:20 faster than his brother is unusual but I wouldn't put it past him to run a sub 15.
For Chase to run 1:20 faster than his brother is unusual but I wouldn't put it past him to run a sub 15.
08/28/2016 2:38:48 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
I have never been much to get on the site to make comments but Chase has improved from his 4:13 1600 and his 9:17 that he won at Jefferson by over 18 seconds in the 3200. Chandler was sick this week, but he ran. Keep in mind Sue Morales ran 17:55 at Footlocker last year and she ran 18:45 on same course at Lamar.
I have never been much to get on the site to make comments but Chase has improved from his 4:13 1600 and his 9:17 that he won at Jefferson by over 18 seconds in the 3200. Chandler was sick this week, but he ran. Keep in mind Sue Morales ran 17:55 at Footlocker last year and she ran 18:45 on same course at Lamar.
08/28/2016 4:31:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@tsitton I agree Coach. Generally, if a distance athlete of 9:15-20 caliber trains very well over the summer, he will go into xc as an 8:55ish-9:00 guy. Therefore, in my humble opinion, 14:57 is definitely not out of the realm of possibility for your athlete. My 1st thought went immediately to his 2 mile time in May.
@tsitton I agree Coach. Generally, if a distance athlete of 9:15-20 caliber trains very well over the summer, he will go into xc as an 8:55ish-9:00 guy. Therefore, in my humble opinion, 14:57 is definitely not out of the realm of possibility for your athlete. My 1st thought went immediately to his 2 mile time in May.
08/28/2016 6:05:00 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@johnbutler3rd
08/29/2016 8:45:15 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
If this course is legit, then this run is nothing short of spectacular. Sub 15 this time of year, in these temperatures, suggests that Mr Kennedy will likely become, baring illness, the fastest Georgian ever for 5K on a cross country course. This time already ranks him #7 on time in the milesplit data base for Georgians. Same time as Girma Mechso. 6 seconds behind Ben Hubers and faster than Brad Hort and Austin Sprague who all made national finals. The fastest time in Milesplit is Josh Brickell's 14:41 run @ McAlpine speedway back in 2011. 14:41 isn't very far away for an athlete under 15 in August. Wonder how far under 16:00 he will run at Carrollton. For better or for worse, Chase certainly will have allot of people following his progress this season.
If this course is legit, then this run is nothing short of spectacular. Sub 15 this time of year, in these temperatures, suggests that Mr Kennedy will likely become, baring illness, the fastest Georgian ever for 5K on a cross country course. This time already ranks him #7 on time in the milesplit data base for Georgians. Same time as Girma Mechso. 6 seconds behind Ben Hubers and faster than Brad Hort and Austin Sprague who all made national finals. The fastest time in Milesplit is Josh Brickell's 14:41 run @ McAlpine speedway back in 2011. 14:41 isn't very far away for an athlete under 15 in August. Wonder how far under 16:00 he will run at Carrollton. For better or for worse, Chase certainly will have allot of people following his progress this season.
08/30/2016 11:44:58 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@johnbutler3rd Not going to debate the performance, looked just spectacular from the video. Watching his races at state and the Meet of Champions showed his potential. I do take issue with most 9:15-9:20 guys showing up to XC practice in August in 8:55-9:00 shape. [edit - there were 51 guys in 2015] 41 guys broke 9:00 for 3200m in the entire country last year which is a record. As few as 10 were doing it just 10 years ago and there were years in the 90's where there was only one. That is after a full year of training, racing in good conditions in the spring, and usually with good competition in super large meets (Arcadia etc.). I personally don't think being in sub-9:00 shape is ever commonplace or the result of only a good summer.
@johnbutler3rd

Not going to debate the performance, looked just spectacular from the video. Watching his races at state and the Meet of Champions showed his potential.

I do take issue with most 9:15-9:20 guys showing up to XC practice in August in 8:55-9:00 shape. 41 guys broke 9:00 for 3200m in the entire country last year which is a record. As few as 10 were doing it just 10 years ago and there were years in the 90's where there was only one. That is after a full year of training, racing in good conditions in the spring, and usually with good competition in super large meets (Arcadia etc.). I personally don't think being in sub-9:00 shape is ever commonplace or the result of only a good summer.
08/30/2016 5:44:39 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
This time of the year I wonder if it may be OK just to let him have his day. The validity of the time will take care of itself as the season progresses. Note that some Texans ran a pretty fast course. Half minute PRs fell like an early fall rain. It also produced the first sub-17 girl's time in the country this season. She's a former NXN individual qualifier who starts off the season posting a 19 second PR. Yet no mention of length of the course anywhere in the discussion forum. No concerns for kid's self esteem or concerns about the integrity of the sport. What could be wrong with these people?! There is a general thread about course measurement though. Maybe y'all can get on there and question the validity of Endsley's time. The rest of us can sit back and appreciate how they handle these kinds of posts in Texas. ?:-I
This time of the year I wonder if it may be OK just to let him have his day. The validity of the time will take care of itself as the season progresses.

Note that some Texans ran a pretty fast course. Half minute PRs fell like an early fall rain. It also produced the first sub-17 girl's time in the country this season. She's a former NXN individual qualifier who starts off the season posting a 19 second PR. Yet no mention of length of the course anywhere in the discussion forum. No concerns for kid's self esteem or concerns about the integrity of the sport. What could be wrong with these people?!

There is a general thread about course measurement though. Maybe y'all can get on there and question the validity of Endsley's time. The rest of us can sit back and appreciate how they handle these kinds of posts in Texas.
08/30/2016 8:40:26 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@KCCCCC I tend to agree - it is OK to let him have his day, and I hope that he is. He got his own article on the front of the national site, and has a big lead in their athlete of the week poll. Pretty cool stuff. I think it's also great that it has generated discussion on the board, but I recognize that time/course discussions are a sensitive subject for many, especially for people who have felt slighted in the past in a discussion of a time, course, or performance. From my perspective, the discussion here has been pretty positive overall. I'm glad that a sub-15 time is generating discussion, and hope it always will. It was an outstanding performance on a course that ran very fast on Saturday (16 of the top 24 boys set lifetime PRs with a median improvement of 32 seconds).
@KCCCCC I tend to agree - it is OK to let him have his day, and I hope that he is. He got his own article on the front of the national site, and has a big lead in their athlete of the week poll. Pretty cool stuff.

I think it's also great that it has generated discussion on the board, but I recognize that time/course discussions are a sensitive subject for many, especially for people who have felt slighted in the past in a discussion of a time, course, or performance.

From my perspective, the discussion here has been pretty positive overall. I'm glad that a sub-15 time is generating discussion, and hope it always will. It was an outstanding performance on a course that ran very fast on Saturday (16 of the top 24 boys set lifetime PRs with a median improvement of 32 seconds).
08/30/2016 9:23:10 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Banks County's boys looked great, could give Bleckley some competition...
Banks County's boys looked great, could give Bleckley some competition...
08/30/2016 9:52:06 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@kml60 First, congratulations to this young man. He sounds like a great athlete. His times as reflected in other comments are superb. He certainly didn't set the length of the course so let's make sure we don't question his character if there is some dispute regarding the length of the course. Educate your parents and your runners that no two courses nor any two races on the same course are perfectly measured or the same. Further, it doesn't matter except in undermining some runners confidence and inflating others beyond where that confidence should be if a course is mis-measured. Some runners will think they are better than they are because of a short course (McNeil in TX last year) and get over confident. Others will be undermined by a course that is too long and they can't make their intended mark for a 5k. Teach them that every course is different. No one ran a record time at the TX State last year, especially the 6A guys who inherited a torn up mud bath. It says nothing about their skill or ability as a runner or, more importantly, as a person. All the Mile Split Rankings are fun (especially if you are on top), but they are amusement. Runners need to take pride in their work ethic and what they put into being better people, not just faster runners. I learned the hard way, and still have to reflect on it. It is not easy. The best you can do is compare yourself to the other runners who were actually at the same race you ran. For that moment in time you were either faster or slower than some other runner. You were not a better person, a better athlete, only a better or more fortunate runner at that moment in time. I understand that a portion of our sons' and daughters' essence is their perceived ability as a runner. Just don't let it become their essence. I am fortunate. I have a son and daughter who are successful, top level runners. I am far more proud of them for who they are and the things they do throughout their lives than I am for their successes as runners. I enjoy their successes, and anguish in their struggles, but know that the measure of a course is not important in determining if they are good people. Do I want them to win? Of course. Do I dislike inaccurate measures? Absolutely. I hate them. In the end though, they say more about the character of the race organizer than anything else.
@kml60 First, congratulations to this young man. He sounds like a great athlete. His times as reflected in other comments are superb. He certainly didn't set the length of the course so let's make sure we don't question his character if there is some dispute regarding the length of the course. Educate your parents and your runners that no two courses nor any two races on the same course are perfectly measured or the same. Further, it doesn't matter except in undermining some runners confidence and inflating others beyond where that confidence should be if a course is mis-measured. Some runners will think they are better than they are because of a short course (McNeil in TX last year) and get over confident. Others will be undermined by a course that is too long and they can't make their intended mark for a 5k. Teach them that every course is different. No one ran a record time at the TX State last year, especially the 6A guys who inherited a torn up mud bath. It says nothing about their skill or ability as a runner or, more importantly, as a person. All the Mile Split Rankings are fun (especially if you are on top), but they are amusement. Runners need to take pride in their work ethic and what they put into being better people, not just faster runners. I learned the hard way, and still have to reflect on it. It is not easy. The best you can do is compare yourself to the other runners who were actually at the same race you ran. For that moment in time you were either faster or slower than some other runner. You were not a better person, a better athlete, only a better or more fortunate runner at that moment in time. I understand that a portion of our sons' and daughters' essence is their perceived ability as a runner. Just don't let it become their essence. I am fortunate. I have a son and daughter who are successful, top level runners. I am far more proud of them for who they are and the things they do throughout their lives than I am for their successes as runners. I enjoy their successes, and anguish in their struggles, but know that the measure of a course is not important in determining if they are good people. Do I want them to win? Of course. Do I dislike inaccurate measures? Absolutely. I hate them. In the end though, they say more about the character of the race organizer than anything else.
08/31/2016 2:01:51 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
That's a beautiful post, but, myself and many other coaches, can vouch for the character of Coach Sitton, and many others, whose course distances are questioned. I've found that many more MS/rural GHSA/GISA courses are suspect at the distance they advertise, than GHSA metro area and surrounding areas (NE Ga) HS courses. Yes, wouldn't it be a perfect world if every course was within 5m of a 5K, but its not a perfect world. Pickens is short, but no one complains because its moderately challenging and hot as heck in August. North Georgia Mountain Invitational (2012-2014) was short, but it was so hot, and times were out the window. Carrollton was a muddy joke on 11/7 last season (became a 3 Mile after a course reroute, completely taking out 'Separation Slope'), and it destroyed times, excluding the first race of the day. I would bet money no course in GA is exactly 5000m on the tangents, or wheeeled down the middle. Maybe we need to get Coach Raposo from Florida to wheel all major courses in GA, LOL! XC is not Track and Field, its an imperfect beast, that is more about place than times. Things tend..to get settled at Coach Wood, State and Foot Locker South/Nationals or Nike NXN on where runners stand. So, let's hear it, and blast the gawebmaster, LOL! :-?
That's a beautiful post, but, myself and many other coaches, can vouch for the character of Coach Sitton, and many others, whose course distances are questioned. I've found that many more MS/rural GHSA/GISA courses are suspect at the distance they advertise, than GHSA metro area and surrounding areas (NE Ga) HS courses. Yes, wouldn't it be a perfect world if every course was within 5m of a 5K, but its not a perfect world. Pickens is short, but no one complains because its moderately challenging and hot as heck in August. North Georgia Mountain Invitational (2012-2014) was short, but it was so hot, and times were out the window.

Carrollton was a muddy joke on 11/7 last season (became a 3 Mile after a course reroute, completely taking out 'Separation Slope'), and it destroyed times, excluding the first race of the day. I would bet money no course in GA is exactly 5000m on the tangents, or wheeeled down the middle. Maybe we need to get Coach Raposo from Florida to wheel all major courses in GA, LOL!

XC is not Track and Field, its an imperfect beast, that is more about place than times. Things tend..to get settled at Coach Wood, State and Foot Locker South/Nationals or Nike NXN on where runners stand.

So, let's hear it, and blast the gawebmaster, LOL!
09/14/2016 11:49:30 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
So, sub-14:45 this weekend at WarPath?? Should since its the easiest & fastest course in the state...it's dry and will have much cooler conditions than in August. If slower I would then guess Lamar Murphy course is short.
So, sub-14:45 this weekend at WarPath??
Should since its the easiest & fastest course in the state...it's dry and will have much cooler conditions than in August.
If slower I would then guess Lamar Murphy course is short.
09/15/2016 3:02:39 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Chase will run his best but if my memory serves me an 8:57 two miler who happened to run 24 minutes for an 8k in college ran 15:28 at warpath. This runner and his dad are good friends of mine so I am not saying it to be negative to anybody. So Sue Morales runs 17:55 at Footlocker the lengthened course but runs 18:08 at Lamar. She ran like 5 times last year 17:55 to 18:10 on different courses so based on your logic if she does not run 17:50 then something is wrong.
Chase will run his best but if my memory serves me an 8:57 two miler who happened to run 24 minutes for an 8k in college ran 15:28 at warpath. This runner and his dad are good friends of mine so I am not saying it to be negative to anybody. So Sue Morales runs 17:55 at Footlocker the lengthened course but runs 18:08 at Lamar. She ran like 5 times last year 17:55 to 18:10 on different courses so based on your logic if she does not run 17:50 then something is wrong.
09/15/2016 3:26:27 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I am not sure it is fair to put the validity of course distance on one HS runner, no matter how talented he is. A HS athlete is still a kid, they are not robots. Maybe the stars just aligned that day and everything was perfect. Maybe his mood, confidence, nutrition, training and psychology were all perfect that day. Maybe he will crush it at Warpath or have a bad day. That has nothing to do with the distance of another course. I will take the coach at his word on the distance and applaud the athlete for his performance. The only people he beat that day were other people running the same course.
I am not sure it is fair to put the validity of course distance on one HS runner, no matter how talented he is.

A HS athlete is still a kid, they are not robots. Maybe the stars just aligned that day and everything was perfect. Maybe his mood, confidence, nutrition, training and psychology were all perfect that day.

Maybe he will crush it at Warpath or have a bad day. That has nothing to do with the distance of another course.

I will take the coach at his word on the distance and applaud the athlete for his performance. The only people he beat that day were other people running the same course.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.