Track items on GHSA agenda
08/25/2014 3:10:58 PM
User
SCHEDULE OF SUBCOMMITTEE MEETINGS - Fall 2014 (Meetings Will Be Held at the Marriott Macon City Center Hotel) Track and Field committee meets Sunday September 14th 11:30 1. Proposal to add the 4 x 800 meter relay to the “Schedule of Events” at the State Track Meets. This would increase the event total from 16 to 17. [Region 5-AAAAAA] 2. Proposal to alter the format of the boys and girls State Track Meets. The proposal is to combine genders at the two current sites (Jefferson and Albany) and split the two meets by classification with half competing at Jefferson and half at Albany [Region 5-AAAAAA]
SCHEDULE OF SUBCOMMITTEE MEETINGS - Fall 2014
(Meetings Will Be Held at the Marriott Macon City Center Hotel)
Track and Field committee meets Sunday September 14th 11:30

1. Proposal to add the 4 x 800 meter relay to the
"Schedule of Events" at the State Track Meets. This
would increase the event total from 16 to 17. [Region
5-AAAAAA]
2. Proposal to alter the format of the boys and girls
State Track Meets. The proposal is to combine
genders at the two current sites (Jefferson and
Albany) and split the two meets by classification with
half competing at Jefferson and half at Albany
08/25/2014 7:59:47 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Any idea on what classifications would go to each venue? Would it rotate every year?
Any idea on what classifications would go to each venue? Would it rotate every year?
08/25/2014 9:43:51 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Why continue to embrace the status quo of current venues? Why not UGA or Tech? Both venues would have access to plenty of hotels and lots of qualified meet officials who already help officiate home college meets. Only draw back I see with either venue is lack of seating capacity large enough to handle fans. This could be solved by adding temporary bleachers. It may be a long way to travel for some in the state to Atlanta or Athens, but football teams don't seem to complain about playing in the Georgia Dome. One would think that both universities would jump at the chance to host the state's best track athletes as a recruiting advantage only only for track but also for football. Am I wrong to think our sport would have more opportunity to shine in more modern settings than what we enjoy currently. I'm not bad mouthing or bashing the long term efforts of either existing venue, just suggesting that perhaps we are overdue for a a progressive step forward. Love both proposals. Adding 4X800 relay and combining guys and girls state together to keep teacher's teaching and kids feeling more like a team is good stuff. Good luck!
Why continue to embrace the status quo of current venues? Why not UGA or Tech? Both venues would have access to plenty of hotels and lots of qualified meet officials who already help officiate home college meets. Only draw back I see with either venue is lack of seating capacity large enough to handle fans. This could be solved by adding temporary bleachers. It may be a long way to travel for some in the state to Atlanta or Athens, but football teams don't seem to complain about playing in the Georgia Dome. One would think that both universities would jump at the chance to host the state's best track athletes as a recruiting advantage only only for track but also for football. Am I wrong to think our sport would have more opportunity to shine in more modern settings than what we enjoy currently. I'm not bad mouthing or bashing the long term efforts of either existing venue, just suggesting that perhaps we are overdue for a a progressive step forward.

Love both proposals. Adding 4X800 relay and combining guys and girls state together to keep teacher's teaching and kids feeling more like a team is good stuff. Good luck!
08/25/2014 10:00:36 PM
Coach
Have you talked to football coaches not in the Atl area? They all hate that trip. Then again, most like the money that comes from games in that area when they are the away team. [quote=crossfan2861]Why continue to embrace the status quo of current venues? Why not UGA or Tech? Both venues would have access to plenty of hotels and lots of qualified meet officials who already help officiate home college meets. Only draw back I see with either venue is lack of seating capacity large enough to handle fans. This could be solved by adding temporary bleachers. It may be a long way to travel for some in the state to Atlanta or Athens, but football teams don't seem to complain about playing in the Georgia Dome. One would think that both universities would jump at the chance to host the state's best track athletes as a recruiting advantage only only for track but also for football. Am I wrong to think our sport would have more opportunity to shine in more modern settings than what we enjoy currently. I'm not bad mouthing or bashing the long term efforts of either existing venue, just suggesting that perhaps we are overdue for a a progressive step forward. Love both proposals. Adding 4X800 relay and combining guys and girls state together to keep teacher's teaching and kids feeling more like a team is good stuff. Good luck![/quote] @crossfan2861
Have you talked to football coaches not in the Atl area? They all hate that trip. Then again, most like the money that comes from games in that area when they are the away team.

crossfan2861 wrote:
Why continue to embrace the status quo of current venues? Why not UGA or Tech? Both venues would have access to plenty of hotels and lots of qualified meet officials who already help officiate home college meets. Only draw back I see with either venue is lack of seating capacity large enough to handle fans. This could be solved by adding temporary bleachers. It may be a long way to travel for some in the state to Atlanta or Athens, but football teams don't seem to complain about playing in the Georgia Dome. One would think that both universities would jump at the chance to host the state's best track athletes as a recruiting advantage only only for track but also for football. Am I wrong to think our sport would have more opportunity to shine in more modern settings than what we enjoy currently. I'm not bad mouthing or bashing the long term efforts of either existing venue, just suggesting that perhaps we are overdue for a a progressive step forward.

Love both proposals. Adding 4X800 relay and combining guys and girls state together to keep teacher's teaching and kids feeling more like a team is good stuff. Good luck!

@crossfan2861
08/25/2014 11:56:35 PM
User
[quote=MCTFCOACH]SCHEDULE OF SUBCOMMITTEE MEETINGS - Fall 2014 (Meetings Will Be Held at the Marriott Macon City Center Hotel) Track and Field committee meets Sunday September 14th 11:30 1. Proposal to add the 4 x 800 meter relay to the “Schedule of Events” at the State Track Meets. This would increase the event total from 16 to 17. [Region 5-AAAAAA][/quote] I wonder if the 4x800 proposal would be more likely to get approved if it is only for the larger classifications: that is, those schools where the population is such that they'd have no problem fielding a 4x800 team without having to withdraw participants from other events. I doubt a 4-6A school would have a problem fielding a 4x800 team. But after looking at region results from the smaller classifications over the years, it seems clear that many (possibly most) small schools have difficulty finding two kids to compete in the 16 events we have now. So I suspect that the smaller schools will not be enthusiastic about having another relay added to the menu. I can't say where the large/small cutoff might be; maybe 3A can do it too, or maybe even 2A. But would hate for opposition from the small schools result in the proposal being denied. Perhaps it might be something where each classification gets to decide whether to run the event or not. [quote]2. Proposal to alter the format of the boys and girls State Track Meets. The proposal is to combine genders at the two current sites (Jefferson and Albany) and split the two meets by classification with half competing at Jefferson and half at Albany [Region 5-AAAAAA][/quote] IMO this would be a big boost to the sport. But what do the folks at Jefferson and Albany think of this? I suspect their willingness to accept this will be *the* key factor in whether this proposal passes or not. Are they on board?
MCTFCOACH wrote:
SCHEDULE OF SUBCOMMITTEE MEETINGS - Fall 2014
(Meetings Will Be Held at the Marriott Macon City Center Hotel)
Track and Field committee meets Sunday September 14th 11:30

1. Proposal to add the 4 x 800 meter relay to the "Schedule of Events" at the State Track Meets. This would increase the event total from 16 to 17. [Region
5-AAAAAA]

I wonder if the 4x800 proposal would be more likely to get approved if it is only for the larger classifications: that is, those schools where the population is such that they'd have no problem fielding a 4x800 team without having to withdraw participants from other events.

I doubt a 4-6A school would have a problem fielding a 4x800 team. But after looking at region results from the smaller classifications over the years, it seems clear that many (possibly most) small schools have difficulty finding two kids to compete in the 16 events we have now. So I suspect that the smaller schools will not be enthusiastic about having another relay added to the menu.

I can't say where the large/small cutoff might be; maybe 3A can do it too, or maybe even 2A. But would hate for opposition from the small schools result in the proposal being denied. Perhaps it might be something where each classification gets to decide whether to run the event or not.

2. Proposal to alter the format of the boys and girls State Track Meets. The proposal is to combine genders at the two current sites (Jefferson and Albany) and split the two meets by classification with half competing at Jefferson and half at Albany

IMO this would be a big boost to the sport. But what do the folks at Jefferson and Albany think of this? I suspect their willingness to accept this will be *the* key factor in whether this proposal passes or not. Are they on board?
08/26/2014 1:48:54 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@crossfan2861 UGA and Tech do not have the seating capacity to host such a large meet. I do endorse the proposal though of both genders, same classes at alternating venues each Spring. And, its time for the 4x800 to be a scoring event at State. You speed heavy programs need to get over it, as you've had an unfair advantage forever... I would also endorse having 1 relay team per school getting out of Region/Sectionals (4x800 included) Sectionals have taken Ga's State Track meets to another level of competition. Let's keep pushing for change. I believe Gary Phillips is all for making State more competitive and better attended. There shouldn't be an issue (with the exception of A Public) having 8 teams on the track for a 4x800 final. AA may be pushing it..
@crossfan2861 UGA and Tech do not have the seating capacity to host such a large meet. I do endorse the proposal though of both genders, same classes at alternating venues each Spring. And, its time for the 4x800 to be a scoring event at State.

You speed heavy programs need to get over it, as you've had an unfair advantage forever... I would also endorse having 1 relay team per school getting out of Region/Sectionals (4x800 included)

Sectionals have taken Ga's State Track meets to another level of competition. Let's keep pushing for change. I believe Gary Phillips is all for making State more competitive and better attended.

There shouldn't be an issue (with the exception of A Public) having 8 teams on the track for a 4x800 final. AA may be pushing it..
08/26/2014 7:37:55 AM
Coach
I like the idea of a collegiate venue. What about Savannah State. Nice facility, plenty of seating and plenty of hotels and restaurants. If we used UGA or Tech as one, then Savannah State as the other we could rotate classifications and most teams in the state would only have to make overnight arrangements every other year.
I like the idea of a collegiate venue. What about Savannah State. Nice facility, plenty of seating and plenty of hotels and restaurants. If we used UGA or Tech as one, then Savannah State as the other we could rotate classifications and most teams in the state would only have to make overnight arrangements every other year.
08/26/2014 7:55:22 AM
Power User
We could learn from the Gwinnett County cross country meet and just host our state track meet at University of North Florida.
We could learn from the Gwinnett County cross country meet and just host our state track meet at University of North Florida.
08/26/2014 8:54:59 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@MCTFCOACH Is that meeting for anyone to attend? If so... I would love to attend that meeting in support of the two proposals. Coach Sorrells
@MCTFCOACH

Is that meeting for anyone to attend? If so... I would love to attend that meeting in support of the two proposals.

Coach Sorrells
08/26/2014 9:54:33 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@crossfan2861 Two Words - Insurance and Liability. The Universities charge a crazy prize.
@crossfan2861 Two Words - Insurance and Liability. The Universities charge a crazy prize.
08/26/2014 11:37:26 AM
User
[quote=gawebmaster]@crossfan2861 UGA and Tech do not have the seating capacity to host such a large meet. [/quote] Yeah, and I doubt either of those venues could easily accomodate temporary seating. (The far straight away of the UGa track is bounded by a road; Tech's by a building) [quote] ... I would also endorse having 1 relay team per school getting out of Region/Sectionals (4x800 included) [/quote] I'm not sure I'd agree with this. I mean, if a school can put together two credible relay teams, why not let them run both (all the way to state if they can)? Sure, it's not common for one school to take two relay teams to state, but it does happen. Why not give the kids an opportunity to do so if they can? If a "B" team isn't good enough to qualify, then they will get eliminated by better teams at the region or sectional level. But however far they advance, they will do so by beating (on the track) other teams that were not as good. (Which means: if you prevent them from competing, then inferior teams will take their place).
gawebmaster wrote:
@crossfan2861 UGA and Tech do not have the seating capacity to host such a large meet.

Yeah, and I doubt either of those venues could easily accomodate temporary seating. (The far straight away of the UGa track is bounded by a road; Tech's by a building)

... I would also endorse having 1 relay team per school getting out of Region/Sectionals (4x800 included)

I'm not sure I'd agree with this. I mean, if a school can put together two credible relay teams, why not let them run both (all the way to state if they can)? Sure, it's not common for one school to take two relay teams to state, but it does happen. Why not give the kids an opportunity to do so if they can?

If a "B" team isn't good enough to qualify, then they will get eliminated by better teams at the region or sectional level. But however far they advance, they will do so by beating (on the track) other teams that were not as good. (Which means: if you prevent them from competing, then inferior teams will take their place).
08/26/2014 11:41:02 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Speed heavy programs have not had an unfair advantage for years. In 2014, Marist won the 4A state championship with major points coming in events over 800, the throws, and the hurdles. To my knowledge, they did not have anyone in the finals in the 4x1, 100, 200, or 4x4 events. I know there are more events that are considered "speed events" versus distance events, but there are schools who are getting it done a variety of ways when it comes to winning state championships. Other schools just have to figure out how to counter and adapt to get points in areas where they have not typically been getting them. This is not to say that the 4x800 doesn't need to happen. I've always felt that we needed to get it at the state meet. It's contested at many meets and in many states.
Speed heavy programs have not had an unfair advantage for years. In 2014, Marist won the 4A state championship with major points coming in events over 800, the throws, and the hurdles. To my knowledge, they did not have anyone in the finals in the 4x1, 100, 200, or 4x4 events.

I know there are more events that are considered "speed events" versus distance events, but there are schools who are getting it done a variety of ways when it comes to winning state championships. Other schools just have to figure out how to counter and adapt to get points in areas where they have not typically been getting them.

This is not to say that the 4x800 doesn't need to happen. I've always felt that we needed to get it at the state meet. It's contested at many meets and in many states.
08/26/2014 12:27:09 PM
User
@e_simmons Which team would you like to have? Team A - 4 elite runners that dominate their events 800 and up. They score well in 800, 1600, 3200, and possibly get a couple points in the 4x400. Team B - 4 elite sprinters that dominate their events 400 and down. They score well in the 100, 200, 400, both hurdles, both relays, and there is probably a jumper or two in the group.
@e_simmons

Which team would you like to have?

Team A - 4 elite runners that dominate their events 800 and up. They score well in 800, 1600, 3200, and possibly get a couple points in the 4x400.

Team B - 4 elite sprinters that dominate their events 400 and down. They score well in the 100, 200, 400, both hurdles, both relays, and there is probably a jumper or two in the group.
08/26/2014 1:01:40 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=cmnelson]@e_simmons Which team would you like to have? Team A - 4 elite runners that dominate their events 800 and up. They score well in 800, 1600, 3200, and possibly get a couple points in the 4x400. Team B - 4 elite sprinters that dominate their events 400 and down. They score well in the 100, 200, 400, both hurdles, both relays, and there is probably a jumper or two in the group.[/quote] @cmnelson It depends on which one is going to net a state championship, haha. In all serious, it depends on how they are trained. That would be a lot of racing for those sprinters to have to run multiple rounds of all those events.
cmnelson wrote:
@e_simmons

Which team would you like to have?

Team A - 4 elite runners that dominate their events 800 and up. They score well in 800, 1600, 3200, and possibly get a couple points in the 4x400.

Team B - 4 elite sprinters that dominate their events 400 and down. They score well in the 100, 200, 400, both hurdles, both relays, and there is probably a jumper or two in the group.

@cmnelson

It depends on which one is going to net a state championship, haha. In all serious, it depends on how they are trained. That would be a lot of racing for those sprinters to have to run multiple rounds of all those events.
08/26/2014 2:22:34 PM
User
@FloweryBranch You can come to the meeting however the committee will listen to the school or region that put the proposal forward. You need to contact them to see if you can also speak for the proposal. Everyone needs to understand that only the proposal before the committee will be heard. (no other sites are mentioned in the proposal)( the proposal is not just for the large schools to field 4x800 ) They will not allow you to change the proposal. The the track committee will vote to take it to the executive committee or deny it if it is denied by the track committee or the full executive committee you must wait three meetings ( 1 and 1/2 years ) before you can bring it back to the committee. from the white book page 33 2.25 The administrative head of each school may submit to the GHSA Executive Committee such recommendations for the improvement of the GHSA as he/she may deem necessary. (a) These recommendations must be submitted to the GHSA Office at least thirty (30) days prior to the meeting of the Executive Committee. (b) A proposal brought to the Executive Committee that is denied by either a subcommittee or the full Executive Committee may not be submitted for three (3) meetings after the previous submission unless a substantive change has been made to the proposal. @mbeaudreau If Jefferson and Albany are willing to host the championship set forth in the proposal I would think the presenter would have to have a plan in place. I think most of 6A is in the north so Jefferson 5A is a toss up 4A has Albany schools so Albany 3A has Jefferson so Jefferson 2A is a toss up A public most in south so Albany A private most in north so Jefferson
@FloweryBranch
You can come to the meeting however the committee will listen to the school or region that put the proposal forward. You need to contact them to see if you can also speak for the proposal.
Everyone needs to understand that only the proposal before the committee will be heard. (no other sites are mentioned in the proposal)( the proposal is not just for the large schools to field 4x800 ) They will not allow you to change the proposal. The the track committee will vote to take it to the executive committee or deny it if it is denied by the track committee or the full executive committee you must wait three meetings ( 1 and 1/2 years ) before you can bring it back to the committee.

from the white book page 33
2.25 The administrative head of each school may submit to the GHSA Executive Committee such
recommendations for the improvement of the GHSA as he/she may deem necessary.
(a) These recommendations must be submitted to the GHSA Office at least thirty (30) days prior to the
meeting of the Executive Committee.
(b) A proposal brought to the Executive Committee that is denied by either a subcommittee or the full
Executive Committee may not be submitted for three (3) meetings after the previous submission unless
a substantive change has been made to the proposal.
@mbeaudreau
If Jefferson and Albany are willing to host the championship set forth in the proposal I would think the presenter would have to have a plan in place.
I think most of 6A is in the north so Jefferson
5A is a toss up
4A has Albany schools so Albany
3A has Jefferson so Jefferson
2A is a toss up
A public most in south so Albany
A private most in north so Jefferson
08/29/2014 10:55:55 AM
User
After speaking to a member of the track executive committee I need to correct a portion of my post. 1. The track executive committee is able to make changes to the proposal put forth by the member school. 2. Any member school can speak about the proposal to the committee. There is one hour allotted for the track committee to hear the proposal and vote. If you would like to voice your thoughts on the proposal, you can send an email to anyone or everyone on the committee, or drive down to Macon on Sunday September 14th @ 11:30. . Track committee members are: Gary Long Tommy Stringer Kevin May Jasper Jewell Tim Barron Steve Simpson [quote=MCTFCOACH]@FloweryBranch You can come to the meeting however the committee will listen to the school or region that put the proposal forward. You need to contact them to see if you can also speak for the proposal. Everyone needs to understand that only the proposal before the committee will be heard. (no other sites are mentioned in the proposal)( the proposal is not just for the large schools to field 4x800 ) They will not allow you to change the proposal. The the track committee will vote to take it to the executive committee or deny it if it is denied by the track committee or the full executive committee you must wait three meetings ( 1 and 1/2 years ) before you can bring it back to the committee. from the white book page 33 2.25 The administrative head of each school may submit to the GHSA Executive Committee such recommendations for the improvement of the GHSA as he/she may deem necessary. (a) These recommendations must be submitted to the GHSA Office at least thirty (30) days prior to the meeting of the Executive Committee. (b) A proposal brought to the Executive Committee that is denied by either a subcommittee or the full Executive Committee may not be submitted for three (3) meetings after the previous submission unless a substantive change has been made to the proposal. @mbeaudreau If Jefferson and Albany are willing to host the championship set forth in the proposal I would think the presenter would have to have a plan in place. I think most of 6A is in the north so Jefferson 5A is a toss up 4A has Albany schools so Albany 3A has Jefferson so Jefferson 2A is a toss up A public most in south so Albany A private most in north so Jefferson[/quote] @MCTFCOACH
After speaking to a member of the track executive committee I need to correct a portion of my post.
1. The track executive committee is able to make changes to the proposal put forth by the member school.
2. Any member school can speak about the proposal to the committee. There is one hour allotted for the track committee to hear the proposal and vote. If you would like to voice your thoughts on the proposal, you can send an email to anyone or everyone on the committee, or drive down to Macon on Sunday September 14th @ 11:30.
Track committee members are:
Gary Long
Tommy Stringer
Kevin May
Jasper Jewell
Tim Barron
Steve Simpson

MCTFCOACH wrote:
@FloweryBranch
You can come to the meeting however the committee will listen to the school or region that put the proposal forward. You need to contact them to see if you can also speak for the proposal.
Everyone needs to understand that only the proposal before the committee will be heard. (no other sites are mentioned in the proposal)( the proposal is not just for the large schools to field 4x800 ) They will not allow you to change the proposal. The the track committee will vote to take it to the executive committee or deny it if it is denied by the track committee or the full executive committee you must wait three meetings ( 1 and 1/2 years ) before you can bring it back to the committee.

from the white book page 33
2.25 The administrative head of each school may submit to the GHSA Executive Committee such
recommendations for the improvement of the GHSA as he/she may deem necessary.
(a) These recommendations must be submitted to the GHSA Office at least thirty (30) days prior to the
meeting of the Executive Committee.
(b) A proposal brought to the Executive Committee that is denied by either a subcommittee or the full
Executive Committee may not be submitted for three (3) meetings after the previous submission unless
a substantive change has been made to the proposal.
@mbeaudreau
If Jefferson and Albany are willing to host the championship set forth in the proposal I would think the presenter would have to have a plan in place.
I think most of 6A is in the north so Jefferson
5A is a toss up
4A has Albany schools so Albany
3A has Jefferson so Jefferson
2A is a toss up
A public most in south so Albany
A private most in north so Jefferson

@MCTFCOACH
08/31/2014 1:39:54 AM
Coach
@gawebmaster Be careful what you wish for. The 800 is not a distance athlete only event. In many parts of the country sprinters handle this event quite well. I welcome the change!
@gawebmaster
Be careful what you wish for. The 800 is not a distance athlete only event. In many parts of the country sprinters handle this event quite well. I welcome the change!
08/31/2014 2:47:27 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@tracknfieldfiend Distance Programs will dominate the 4x800, don't delude yourself. Its the toughest Track event out there (800m)and XC runners are tough mentally and physically. Only the most Elite 800 (converted 400m runners will be on a squad) XC runners will love the opp to score at a State meet for their Track team like they did for their school's XC team. [b]7= 1[/b][u][/u]
@tracknfieldfiend Distance Programs will dominate the 4x800, don't delude yourself. Its the toughest Track event out there (800m)and XC runners are tough mentally and physically. Only the most Elite 800 (converted 400m runners will be on a squad) XC runners will love the opp to score at a State meet for their Track team like they did for their school's XC team. 7= 1
08/31/2014 10:18:54 AM
Coach
@gawebmaster Upon its inception you would be correct however teams adapt. How many teams field 50-53 sec 400M runners. Give solid sprint programs the opportunity to train their second tier 400M runners starting in the 9th grade like well established distance programs do. I can assure you it won't be the whitewashing you expect.
@gawebmaster
Upon its inception you would be correct however teams adapt. How many teams field 50-53 sec 400M runners. Give solid sprint programs the opportunity to train their second tier 400M runners starting in the 9th grade like well established distance programs do. I can assure you it won't be the whitewashing you expect.
08/31/2014 11:58:56 AM
Coach
Long time Florida coach, and occasional reader of the Georgia forum. 4x800 Relay---15 or so years as a regular season, and state meet event in Florida. All four classes have competitive 4x800 relays. Size of school has little to do with whether the event is successful Top tier 4x800 relays usually have equal representation from "distance" schools, and "sprint" schools in the state meet. The 4x800 relay has been the single most important improvement in the advancement of quality in Florida in decades. The 400 has improved, the 800 has dramatically improved, and four 2:00 half-milers (who would usually go nowhere), now have a chance to put together a quality relay, and score in the state meet. Can't comprehend any opposition to it. It can't make the state meet longer, it seems like the Georgia state meets take weeks. (All four Florida classes, both genders, have their state meets on two days at UNF in Jacksonville). Have no clue why Georgia with a much smaller population than Florida has so many classes. I guess everybody is a winner. Site selection for the Georgia state meet? Have seen UGA, and Ga. Tech. Have not seen Jefferson and Albany. Have just heard horror stories about both from friends that are long time Georgia coaches. Don't see how you could beat Carrollton (which I have seen).
Long time Florida coach, and occasional reader of the Georgia forum.
4x800 Relay---15 or so years as a regular season, and state meet event in Florida.
All four classes have competitive 4x800 relays. Size of school has little to do with whether the event is successful
Top tier 4x800 relays usually have equal representation from "distance" schools, and "sprint" schools in the state meet.
The 4x800 relay has been the single most important improvement in the advancement of quality in Florida in decades.
The 400 has improved, the 800 has dramatically improved, and four 2:00 half-milers (who would usually go nowhere), now have a chance to put together a quality relay, and score in the state meet.
Can't comprehend any opposition to it.
It can't make the state meet longer, it seems like the Georgia state meets take weeks. (All four Florida classes, both genders, have their state meets on two days at UNF in Jacksonville). Have no clue why Georgia with a much smaller population than Florida has so many classes. I guess everybody is a winner.

Site selection for the Georgia state meet? Have seen UGA, and Ga. Tech. Have not seen Jefferson and Albany. Have just heard horror stories about both from friends that are long time Georgia coaches.
Don't see how you could beat Carrollton (which I have seen).

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.