Georgia State Middle School Cross Country Championships 2012
10/17/2012 10:24:07 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
What about club teams? Why are they in this race? Junior Hoyas is a club team. Just wondering. Thanks.
What about club teams? Why are they in this race? Junior Hoyas is a club team. Just wondering. Thanks.
10/17/2012 10:31:55 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Many Georgia counties don't offer the sport of cross country in middle school. The athletes from those counties shouldn't be punished and left out of the championship race should they?
Many Georgia counties don't offer the sport of cross country in middle school. The athletes from those counties shouldn't be punished and left out of the championship race should they?
10/17/2012 10:49:04 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
The 4 Junior Hoyas are running as Individuals. The rule is [u]all athletes on a team must attend the same school[/u]. Anyone can run as an individual: homeschooled, Club, GISA, Private. This has been verified by the MD and myself.
The 4 Junior Hoyas are running as Individuals. The rule is all athletes on a team must attend the same school. Anyone can run as an individual: homeschooled, Club, GISA, Private. This has been verified by the MD and myself.
10/18/2012 8:01:33 AM
Coach
[quote=gawebmaster]The 4 Junior Hoyas are running as Individuals. The rule is all athletes on a team must attend the same school. Anyone can run as an individual: homeschooled, Club, GISA, Private. This has been verified by the MD and myself.[/quote] @gawebmaster Private schools are allowed to compete as teams. The list of registered schools include several, including middle schools that "feed" into GISA high schools.
gawebmaster wrote:
The 4 Junior Hoyas are running as Individuals. The rule is all athletes on a team must attend the same school. Anyone can run as an individual: homeschooled, Club, GISA, Private. This has been verified by the MD and myself.

@gawebmaster

Private schools are allowed to compete as teams. The list of registered schools include several, including middle schools that "feed" into GISA high schools.
10/18/2012 8:28:14 AM
Coach
we're talking about 11-13 yr old kids here. Why would anyone want any of them excluded from this meet, regardless of whether they're a club team or school team or whatever? Let's at least wait til HS before we start banning kids from competition for silly reasons.
we're talking about 11-13 yr old kids here. Why would anyone want any of them excluded from this meet, regardless of whether they're a club team or school team or whatever? Let's at least wait til HS before we start banning kids from competition for silly reasons.
10/18/2012 9:02:44 AM
User
No one is "excluded" from this meet. There are restrictions on team entries which make sense. Individuals may compete but Coach Cranford has made the standard for teams be kids who attend the same school, likely so as to avoid the creation of "all-star" club teams. Those types of groups can compete together in the USATF and AAU events, which even have the potential for advancing to national level competition.
No one is "excluded" from this meet. There are restrictions on team entries which make sense. Individuals may compete but Coach Cranford has made the standard for teams be kids who attend the same school, likely so as to avoid the creation of "all-star" club teams. Those types of groups can compete together in the USATF and AAU events, which even have the potential for advancing to national level competition.
10/18/2012 1:29:04 PM
Coach
right - I was responding to the original post. Coach Cranford does a fine job with this meet, no question.
right - I was responding to the original post. Coach Cranford does a fine job with this meet, no question.
10/19/2012 9:40:03 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
As the director of the Jr Hoyas, along with the Jr Mustang team we have adjusted our programs to be able to compete in the MS State meet. Coach Cranford and Bruce Taylor have welcomed us and we have worked with us very generously to create teams based on the Middle Schools that our athletes attend. We understand the guidelines that Coach Cranford has set up and we will run the meet based on those guidelines. You will see our athletes (both Hoyas and Mustangs) wearing their regular uniforms but will be competing for their respective MS's.
As the director of the Jr Hoyas, along with the Jr Mustang team we have adjusted our programs to be able to compete in the MS State meet. Coach Cranford and Bruce Taylor have welcomed us and we have worked with us very generously to create teams based on the Middle Schools that our athletes attend. We understand the guidelines that Coach Cranford has set up and we will run the meet based on those guidelines.

You will see our athletes (both Hoyas and Mustangs) wearing their regular uniforms but will be competing for their respective MS's.
10/19/2012 2:55:59 PM
User
I'm glad the Junior Hoyas will get to participate in what seems to be universally regarded as a very fun meet.
I'm glad the Junior Hoyas will get to participate in what seems to be universally regarded as a very fun meet.
10/19/2012 9:17:38 PM
Coach
Mike, The better question is why would they not be in this race? Just because a school doesn't do middle school sports, should the kids that go to those school not be able to compete? I understand the club not being able to run as a team....lord knows there are a few that could take 1-5 :-], but everyone should be able to run unattached. This has become a father and son weekend for my son and myself. Will always be a great memory my son and I have in our life. One of the bet run meets I have ever attended.
Mike,

The better question is why would they not be in this race? Just because a school doesn't do middle school sports, should the kids that go to those school not be able to compete? I understand the club not being able to run as a team....lord knows there are a few that could take 1-5 , but everyone should be able to run unattached.

This has become a father and son weekend for my son and myself. Will always be a great memory my son and I have in our life. One of the bet run meets I have ever attended.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.