Meet Results

• Coach
    Lacrecia
    Is it possible for the results to be posted in a printer-friendly format? Or can someone tell me how to do it? I would love to print a copy. Thanks!
    Buford Middle School had a blast! The meet was very organized and everyone was so helpful! Thanks again!
    Coach Lacrecia Smith
  • Alan Parish
    Coach
    Insider
    aparish
    We really need to get the "printer-friendly" results link back. Printing results now is terrible. The other problem is that one can no longer copy-and-paste; there is no way to highlight just a portion of the results to print or copy into a Word doc.
  • Eric Heintz
    Site Admin
    MaristXCcoach
    @aparish

My frustration is that you can no longer search them using the "find" or "find on page" functions in your browser. I used to be able to put in "Marist" and then just hit "find next".

Is milesplit worried about people mining their data or something?
  • Eric Heintz
    Site Admin
    MaristXCcoach
    @aparish

My frustration is that you can no longer search them using the "find" or "find on page" functions in your browser. I used to be able to put in "Marist" and then just hit "find next".

• Alan Parish
    Coach
    Insider
    aparish
    rcampbell
    Save trees. Go green

@rcampbell "Printable" might be the wrong name for it, "editable" or "searchable" makes more sense. The bottom line is that there were a lot of things one could do with the "printable results" that are no longer possible.
  • Peter Becker
    User
    Divalent
    MaristXCcoach
    @aparish

@MaristXCcoach

I'll second that concern/gripe/complaint!

Although I'm "retired", I spend 4 years as team statistician doing the copy-pasta thing to get results from one team into an excel spreadsheet. Doing a browser search on a team name from the "printable" version would highlight all the results I needed to fetch, and I could then block | copy | paste to transfer them. As it was, it took nearly an hour per meet, but at least a copy/paste gets the time/mark accurately. Can't imagine having to retype all of that. (more likely to have typing errors and overlook some athlete's mark; and certainly more time consuming)

Now you can't copy the info on the screen, and it seems you can only search for text that resides in the first 25 or so characters on the page (it seems to be searchable up to the second letter in the school name). (Which, BTW, since you can seach up to the first two letters in the school name, a seach for "Ma" will at least highlight the Marist results (as well as other "Ma"s in the results.)
  • Jason Byrne
    Site Admin
    Insider
    jason
    @Divalent Couple things...

1) I'm not sure what browser you are using but I can still do Control-F and find a team name and it highlights it in yellow. This is a function of the browser. I can possibly build this feature in some other way to allow it.

2) Not sure if you all are aware of this, but every team for every meet they compete in has a page that shows that team's results. I am more than willing to enhance this page for you or make it easier to access if you have suggestions. But it is currently accessible from the team's schedule... there is a Results link next to each meet.

Example:
    ga.milesplit.com/teams/ALEX/results/142110

Alexander

Douglasville, GA

• Peter Becker
    User
    Divalent
    @jason
    Well, I tried the team page you linked to, and still was unable to search or copy text.

I'm using IE 9.0 on a Vista (home version) windows machine. I should say that in the past I was only able to search and copy on the "printable" version of the results pages.

I tried Firefox v17.0.1 (which I have on my computer, but don't really use) and similarly can only search (and highlight) on the meet results page in the first ~20 characters per line, ending with the first 2 characters in the school's name. And like with IE, cannot block/copy any text in the results (even text that I could search for, like names). I could, however, copy text from the team page you linked to, so at least Firefox can be used for it.
  • Alan Parish
    Coach
    Insider
    aparish
    This is an example of something I would like to do that used to be easy, but now is apparently impossible: I want to open up the results from the four Class A Area meets, take the top 4 in each event, and copy and paste those four lines into a new file. Then I can seed the heats myself for Sectionals this Saturday. Currently there is no way for me to block copy & paste anything from the results page. I want the results to show up as text, not as an image.
  • User
    gpardo123
    I am also doing the stat my daughter's school and the lack of printable results is doing the job more difficult. Because of that when possible I go to the timing company website to find the results. They have printable format.
  • Eric Heintz
    Site Admin
    MaristXCcoach
    Jason, that "team results" page is very nice! How quickly does this get updated? I like to put in results into my own results spreadsheet as soon as the meet is posted.

However, I am rocking IE and I can only search up to 4 letters. I can search "mari" but I cannot "maris" or "marist". very odd and frustrating.
  • Jason Byrne
    Site Admin
    Insider
    jason
    @MaristXCcoach The team results thing gets updated as soon as Bruce gets the stats parsed into the database, which I'm sure he's pretty quick at. I can morph this into a more detailed and better formatted team meet report. It sounds like this will be helpful for some people.

I am more than willing to look for work-arounds of things we can do to help out like this to still accomplish most of what you all are looking for. And maybe (like I believe this team report will be) will be even better and easier than what you were doing before for compiling a team's results at least.

To protect the sustainability of the site against certain parasitic sites, we had to make some changes to some things and the separate printable results page was a casualty. Again I'd love to work with everyone to help you still do what you need to do.
  • Peter Becker
    User
    Divalent
    MaristXCcoach
    ... However, I am rocking IE and I can only search up to 4 letters. I can search "mari" but I cannot "maris" or "marist". very odd and frustrating.

@MaristXCcoach
    Interesting that you can search 4 letters into the school name, I can only do 2. (maybe your meet has less space for names though: I'm basing my observations on 5-AAAAAA region meet results).

Anyway, with Google Chrome I can search (and highlight) the whole page. Still can't block select, and so still can't copy.

@Jason
    Might it be possible to allow access to a text version to an easily ascertainable (from your end) subset of users? Like, anyone who is a team admin and/or a coach? Or someone who also makes a special request to Bruce? (Yeah, Bruce; I suggesting more work for you! LOL!) (Maybe with additional requirement that they have been registered for some period of time?)
  • Jason Byrne
    Site Admin
    Insider
    jason
    @Divalent I'll definitely think about that... maybe subscriber + coach or something. I'm not sure. I didn't think it was that big a deal and honestly, haven't gotten too much negative feedback about it until now. Must be a Georgia thing. :) But I am going to work on enhancing that team report tonight, which is probably what a good percentage need anyway.
  • Jason Byrne
    Site Admin
    Insider
    jason Edited
    @Divalent @MaristXCcoach

Okay... going forward, I have added a report for every team for the meet page.

Notice on the participating teams section on this meet page there is a link by each to meet results
    fl.milesplit.com/meets/138761-fhsaa-3a-district-15

And it leads to a page like this
    fl.milesplit.com/meets/138761/teams/138

I can add further filters or other tools or download to CSV or whatever on that page for you. But you should be able to copy-paste from there to essentially have your own team report page.

FHSAA 3A District 15

2013-04-19 at Hallandale High School in Hallandale

• User
    gpardo123
    jason

And it leads to a page like this
    fl.milesplit.com/meets/138761/teams/138

I can add further filters or other tools or download to CSV or whatever on that page for you. But you should be able to copy-paste from there to essentially have your own team report page.

Thanks jason, this is a very good idea and I think it will help when doing the stats, specially if the download to csv gets included.

Is it only me but when following the link, I am getting a blank page(?)

FHSAA 3A District 15- Performances by Hallandale HS

April 19, 2013@ Hallandale High School in Hallandale, FL